Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

rear suspension random clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default rear suspension random clunking noise

Greetings to my fellow XJ Jeepsters,

I have a puzzling problem with my 1999 XJ sport and I hope some of you can help me solve it. I am going to do my best to describe symptoms.

Right rear suspension random clunking noise.
While driving my XJ I am now encountering a random clunking noise on the right rear suspension.

It is not the wheel bearing, I have new rear shocks, I don’t hear the clunk on smooth surface roads, or light bumps or if I creep over rail tracks.

However, I will hear the clunking when I go over dips in the road – which makes me think I might need new leaf spring Bushings or something? --- but my mechanic had the XJ on the lift and did not identify it – and he is very good about writing a laundry list of things that he would like to do “of course on my dime”.

So with the above written I appreciate and thank everybody in advance for their thoughts on issue
Old 05-04-2016, 01:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix

Bump stops could be worn. Mine are and on dips in the road the suspension will bottom out and clunk loudly. Rear ones are on the underbody and are rectangles, front ones are inside the coils on the top side of the spring.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:33 PM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by LiamLikeNeeson
Bump stops could be worn. Mine are and on dips in the road the suspension will bottom out and clunk loudly. Rear ones are on the underbody and are rectangles, front ones are inside the coils on the top side of the spring.
Humm? did not think about that .. guess I'll crawl under the Jeep and see how worn the right side one is - thanks

Any other thoughts from folks
Old 05-04-2016, 04:46 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

check your exhaust, engine and trans mounts.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix

Yeah. Could be the rubber exhaust dampener (or whatever it's called) behind the rear axle. But replacing front bump stops is a bit of a hassle as you have to use a spring compressor to get to it.

Last edited by LiamLikeNeeson; 05-04-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0L

Are you 100% sure it's right rear suspension?

I only ask as sometimes the slip yoke makes clunking noises if it hasn't be lubricated in awhile.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:25 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Cylinder

Do you have a trailer hitch? I know mine makes a noise when i hit dips a little fast. Took me forever to figure it out when I first heard it.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by BeachBoy
Greetings to my fellow XJ Jeepsters, I have a puzzling problem with my 1999 XJ sport and I hope some of you can help me solve it. I am going to do my best to describe symptoms. Right rear suspension random clunking noise. While driving my XJ I am now encountering a random clunking noise on the right rear suspension. It is not the wheel bearing, I have new rear shocks, I don’t hear the clunk on smooth surface roads, or light bumps or if I creep over rail tracks. However, I will hear the clunking when I go over dips in the road – which makes me think I might need new leaf spring Bushings or something? --- but my mechanic had the XJ on the lift and did not identify it – and he is very good about writing a laundry list of things that he would like to do “of course on my dime”. So with the above written I appreciate and thank everybody in advance for their thoughts on issue
check the upper shock mounts, I had this problem and it turns out that my shock mount bolts had loosened a little and allowed for a clunking noise over bumps.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:35 AM
kro

I have this same problem but not with dips in the road. When I go over bumpy pavement something is banging/slapping around. Also seems like the right side rear. I was told to check shock mounts and leaf spring. I wish you luck because I'm sure it drives you crazy as it does for me. Someone suggested the leaf springs may actually be slapping against each other. I hope you figure it out, and if you do, let me know what it was. Lol
Old 07-07-2016, 09:53 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by kro
I have this same problem but not with dips in the road. When I go over bumpy pavement something is banging/slapping around. Also seems like the right side rear. I was told to check shock mounts and leaf spring. I wish you luck because I'm sure it drives you crazy as it does for me. Someone suggested the leaf springs may actually be slapping against each other. I hope you figure it out, and if you do, let me know what it was. Lol

Did you ever figure this out? I kind have a similar noise. But is yours more Audible or Felt? I can kinda feel mine more than hear a clunk.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

i have so many sounds in the rear. when in traffic and slowly removing my foot from the brake, i have a distinct squeak noise. in my driveway when i rock the jeep back and forth with my hands i can hear the springs squeaking.

then when I get over bumps i get a clunking, right or left doesn't matter, happens more on the driver side though. the clunking is also not always the same, making me think I might have different things going on.

i know i have pretty large gaps between my leaf springs, so i bought new replacement and i'll then go from there to see what sounds persist.

i also suspect my shackle bushings of making squeaking sounds.