Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear hatch open/closed switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 09:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L I6
Default Rear hatch open/closed switch

My rear hatch doesn't trigger the interior lights to go on or off anymore when I open it. it's not the light; I had removed the original (corroded and messed up) dome light and installed a new one (generic trailer overhead light). I probed the wires and chose to wire the switch to the wire triggered by the door switches instead of the circuit that's constantly on. The light turns on when I open any of the passenger doors but not when I open the hatch. I'd really like the light to turn on when I open the hatch.

From my understanding, the hatch has a switch that triggers the same circuit as the passenger door switches. So opening the hatch should turn on the interior lights the same that opening the doors would?

Questions:
  1. Do I understand this correctly? If I open the hatch should it trigger the interior lights the same as the doors?
  2. Does anyone know how the switch itself functions? See photo.

I've already cleaned the contacts with Scotchbrite and contact cleaner, I've tried playing with the switch to see how it works and can't figure it out.

I haven't had a chance to test the two contacts with my multimeter to confirm it's an open circuit, so it could be a broken wire somewhere but understanding how the switch works would go a long way...

I have a 1991 Cherokee XJ Limited.

Any help is appreciated! I could go ahead and install a 3rd party tilt switch if needed but I want to start here.