Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear door will not open (not rear hatch)

Old 02-11-2015, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Default Rear door will not open (not rear hatch)

1999 Cherokee. Did some searching and hard to find this issue with the rear doors and not the rear hatch. The button on the handle presses in real easy so I am guessing the bar attaching to the door mechanism fell off. The issue I am having is how to get the door open. Do I just pull the door cover off from the inside?
Old 02-11-2015, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by rg991708
1999 Cherokee. Did some searching and hard to find this issue with the rear doors and not the rear hatch. The button on the handle presses in real easy so I am guessing the bar attaching to the door mechanism fell off. The issue I am having is how to get the door open. Do I just pull the door cover off from the inside?
Bingo the way it set up, it allow the rod to slide off the just enough to not allow the hatch to open. I think there is a hole that you can pop off and allow you to manual open it. Some actually make a strap to open since this is a fairly common problem , and can open the hatch from the inside.
I know the older hatch you can't get the panel off without breaking it I don't believe the newer ones are the same.

My bad on I was thinking of the hatch instead.

Last edited by hbracing13; 02-11-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

I've had the same issue.. If you pull the handle from the inside of the door it always opens for me.. It's almost like the mechanism binds sometimes.. Not really sure, keep us posted!
Old 02-11-2015, 10:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rg991708

I had the same issue with my rear doors. I could always open it from the inside, but the outside button would not release the latch.

The fix is really simple. There is an adjustment screw for the linkage attached to the outside door handle.(it makes the linkage rod longer or shorter) You access it from the rear edge of the door (you have to have the door open for this)
Loosen the allen-head screw, adjust the linkage, then tighten the screw.
Mine work perfectly now.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99

I think the rod fell off because when trying the door from the inside I get nothing either. Either handle is really easy to push/pull so I am guessing something let go. I will let you guys know. Currently in China so when I get back I can look at it closer.