Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear gate won't open

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:56 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker
Default Rear gate won't open

Ok, I searched for this, but haven't found my particular problem. 1997 Cherokee Sport 4.0 I6. This is not the issue with the handle having to be pushed in to open. So...I can't get my rear hatch unlocked. The solenoid is non-operational. With the key, I can get it to lock, but not unlock. I put the key in, and it will turn in the lock position only. Try to turn it to unlock, no go. It's as if the tumblers are operating one way only. So, faulty tumbler I think. So my dilemma is this: I need to get the hatch open to fix or replace. Now, I haven't crawled back there yet to see where all the screws are, but have had it off before to fix it for the "push in the hatch problem" previously. (the rear hatch has always had issues since I bought it, but was able to fix it once before to get it working with the key). My question is, do I have access to all the screws I need to get to to pop the panel off? I can't remember. I am going to try to have a key cut this AM to see if that works first, but want to have a backup plan if it doesn't work. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

You probably have a lock rod that fell off inside. I don't have a '97, but most panels are held on by push clips, with minimal screws.

Crawl back there and do some experimenting.

I don't think a new key will help.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
You probably have a lock rod that fell off inside. I don't have a '97, but most panels are held on by push clips, with minimal screws.

Crawl back there and do some experimenting.

I don't think a new key will help.
I know a new key is a long shot, but need a spare anyhow, so it doesn't hurt to try it before I start doing yoga to get in the back of my rig, LOL. This is when being lifted, older, and larger (LOL) sucks. LMAO

EDIT: I don't think it's a lock rod, as the tumbler won't even turn with the key. I would think that it would still turn with a missing or broken rod. Guess I just need to get in there and figure it out. Need to get this sorted as it is doors off season, and have to haul tools around for school, it's easier to put them in the rear hatch rather than the back seat, and because I have built a cover for the back, I feel better about having my tools locked up and out of sight while in lecture.

Last edited by Rogue4x4; 03-15-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I had a similar problem with my 98. I don't know if it will help with yours. But I soaked the cylinder several times with PB Blaster and just kept working the key until it finally turned. Then once I got it opened I removed it and checked it out and there was a bunch of crud in it. So I kept spraying it down until all of the crud was gone and I haven't had a problem with it since. It's worth a try.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
I had a similar problem with my 98. I don't know if it will help with yours. But I soaked the cylinder several times with PB Blaster and just kept working the key until it finally turned. Then once I got it opened I removed it and checked it out and there was a bunch of crud in it. So I kept spraying it down until all of the crud was gone and I haven't had a problem with it since. It's worth a try.
Done the PB Blaster from the outside, and hasn't helped. When I had it out before to fix my other issue, I cleaned and lubed the entire assembly. That was a while ago, and I will be doing it again once it's open and out. There was quite a bit of crud in there, so it won't hurt to do it again once it is out. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Can you see the nuts holding the lock striker in place from underneath? If so, loosen & remove them, then pop it open. I know, now all the thieves, will be busting into Cherokees.
:')
Old 03-15-2014, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Can you see the nuts holding the lock striker in place from underneath? If so, loosen & remove them, then pop it open. I know, now all the thieves, will be busting into Cherokees.
:')
I will look at that once I get there today, have some other things to take care of before I dive into this. From what I've read online, 97+ with the plastic latch handles this isn't an option, but I guess I won't know until I dive in deeper. Will definitely check this though, thanks.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:04 AM

Also, once I get in there I'll try to remember to take pics and document everything, so I can post my results if successful, to help anyone else out in the future with the same problem.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:16 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Isn't there some magic love-tap you can do just above the handle, and/or give it a kick from the inside?
Old 03-15-2014, 11:17 AM

LOL....you're funny
Old 03-15-2014, 11:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by roninofako
Ok, I searched for this, but haven't found my particular problem.
Do a search on "hatch", gate won't get it done. Many threads with photos. You'll need to pull the plastic inner panel away below the window to release the latch. Once open then fix the mechanism. Lubing is VERY important, been there . . . done that.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by MtnHermit
Do a search on "hatch", gate won't get it done. Many threads with photos. You'll need to pull the plastic inner panel away below the window to release the latch. Once open then fix the mechanism. Lubing is VERY important, been there . . . done that.
Searched with hatch and gate, watched a few vids, but everyone of them were able to get the hatch open to access the panel. Haven't come acroos one with the door shut and the panel in place yet, but then again I didn't spend hours looking for it either. Just going to get in there and get it done once my other domestic duties are done today. Thanks for all the help guys, I'll post up later with results. Off to do some yardwork for my Nana.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by roninofako
Searched with hatch and gate, watched a few vids, but everyone of them were able to get the hatch open to access the panel. Haven't come acroos one with the door shut and the panel in place yet, but then again I didn't spend hours looking for it either. Just going to get in there and get it done once my other domestic duties are done today. Thanks for all the help guys, I'll post up later with results. Off to do some yardwork for my Nana.
As I said, you'll need to pry the plastic panel away to open the hatch. Then reach in a pull the rod, see here: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/rea...97-01-a-31679/
Old 03-15-2014, 10:25 PM

OK, so solved my rear hatch not unlocking problem. So, here's what I started with:
Rear gate won't open-zo3fiuw.jpg

Got my needed tools, didn't grab a pic of the cordless drill with phillips bit, sorry, LOL
Rear gate won't open-lk2lor4.jpg
Rear gate won't open-m3lwcyx.jpg
Rear gate won't open-0ydath7.jpg
Rear gate won't open-xbwpfs9.jpg

So, it was suggested I check underneath where the striker is to see if I could access the bolts, to remove them and get the hatch open.
Rear gate won't open-stnlvbz.jpg

So, I'm in luck, right? WRONG. Took them out, and while I was able to move it, couldn't get it open as the bolts were too long. Here's what they looked like at the maxed out position:
Rear gate won't open-ee1pngq.jpg

So, I crawled in the back and pulled the middle section of the panel out next:
Rear gate won't open-dbpk1xs.jpg
Just reached in and pulled the latch lever.

Success!
Rear gate won't open-pp0bzjh.jpg

So then I got the interior panel off, and poked my noggin around inside, pulled the metal clip on the latch lever, and removed the solenoid rod...
Rear gate won't open-hqrym4b.jpg
Rear gate won't open-v3t7nna.jpg

Removed the 10mm nut holding it in place and removed:
Rear gate won't open-wslagk1.jpg

So here's the culprit:
Rear gate won't open-zyx4zd1.jpg

...and here is where the issue was. That little hooked portion I'm pointing to was bent slightly out of whack...
Rear gate won't open-d8ud5im.jpg

After bending it back in place, I cleaned, lubed, reinstalled, put the clips back on, replaced the interior trim, verified operation, YAY! Key locks and unlocks with zero issues now. Then took it on a test drive with a friend:
Rear gate won't open-deqcb8v.jpg
Rear gate won't open-yfyx4so.jpg

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue!
Old 03-15-2014, 10:34 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

GOOD JOB

Quick Reply: Rear gate won't open