Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear brakes 9" or 10"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 09:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rear brakes 9" or 10"?

About to do the rear drum brakes on the old '96 XJ for the first time since I got it in 2007. Went in to O'reiley's for parts and they asked me to identify whether it was the 9" or 10" version...didn't know there was more than one size for my year.

How do I know what size brake I have?

Also, they're asking me if I want to replace everything...shoes, drum, etc, etc. Since it's been so long since the rears were done is there anything back there I can get away with not replacing? Or should I just do a full swap out of everything in the brakes I can get to? What's the name of all the parts I should be getting?

This'll be the first time I've done rear drum brakes so any additional advice would be muy helpful.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2015, 09:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays
About to do the rear drum brakes on the old '96 XJ for the first time since I got it in 2007. Went in to O'reiley's for parts and they asked me to identify whether it was the 9" or 10" version...didn't know there was more than one size for my year. How do I know what size brake I have? Also, they're asking me if I want to replace everything...shoes, drum, etc, etc. Since it's been so long since the rears were done is there anything back there I can get away with not replacing? Or should I just do a full swap out of everything in the brakes I can get to? What's the name of all the parts I should be getting? This'll be the first time I've done rear drum brakes so any additional advice would be muy helpful. Thanks
If you're going to do the rears completely you might want to look into the disc brake conversion as it's fairly simple. If you're adamant on sticking with and rebuilding the drums you need to replace all the parts inside. They are notorious for leaking at the cylinder. I know my drum brakes are 10 inches btw. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:36 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays
About to do the rear drum brakes on the old '96 XJ for the first time since I got it in 2007. Went in to O'reiley's for parts and they asked me to identify whether it was the 9" or 10" version...didn't know there was more than one size for my year.

How do I know what size brake I have?

Also, they're asking me if I want to replace everything...shoes, drum, etc, etc. Since it's been so long since the rears were done is there anything back there I can get away with not replacing? Or should I just do a full swap out of everything in the brakes I can get to? What's the name of all the parts I should be getting?

This'll be the first time I've done rear drum brakes so any additional advice would be muy helpful.

Thanks
Find out which rear end you have per the photos below. Contact BigDavid here on CF and he can provide rear discs for you.
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2015, 09:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Figured out I got the 9" version. I'd like to do the disc conversion but since everything is still just all stock I'm opting for the slightly cheaper drum/shoe/wheel cylinder kit from Rock Auto...

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=454&jpid=0

Just to make sure, is there anything else I'll need to order or does this kit replace everything that can be replaced? Best I can tell this is all I'll need, plus some speed bleeders maybe.

And is there maybe a cheaper alternative to brand name speed bleeders? Does Dorman make the same thing possibly?

Last edited by bradleyheathhays; 03-30-2015 at 09:37 PM.