Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

rear brake drums rubbing, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default rear brake drums rubbing, ideas?

Today I replaced the rear brake shows on my 2000 XJ for the first time. I put everything back together properly, but even with the adjustment screw bottomed out I'm still getting a spot on each drum where it's rubbing as I spin the wheels. I've driven around and that didn't seem to help much.

I think since I had to bottom out the adjustment screw to eliminate as much of the rubbing as I could, they are under-adjusted so they don't have much braking power, if that makes sense. Also, my parking brake barely holes me still at idled, even when it's pulled up all the way.

Any ideas on what the rubbing could be? The drums looking pretty good on the inside (no grooves or anything) so I'm really confused as to why they're rubbing.

PS - There were some parts in my wearever (advanced) hardware kit that I didn't use. They were a washer, a U-clip, and a blue spring. They didn't match up to anything I took off so I didn't know what to do with them. I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

shoes were same as old
Old 09-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Leftover parts are usually not a good sign, especially with brake hardware.
They may have given you the wrong parts or the wrong parts were in the box.
I also believe the front and rear shoes are different.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

Originally Posted by grantman18
Today I replaced the rear brake shows on my 2000 XJ for the first time. I put everything back together properly, but even with the adjustment screw bottomed out I'm still getting a spot on each drum where it's rubbing as I spin the wheels. I've driven around and that didn't seem to help much.

I think since I had to bottom out the adjustment screw to eliminate as much of the rubbing as I could, they are under-adjusted so they don't have much braking power, if that makes sense. Also, my parking brake barely holes me still at idled, even when it's pulled up all the way.

Any ideas on what the rubbing could be? The drums looking pretty good on the inside (no grooves or anything) so I'm really confused as to why they're rubbing.

PS - There were some parts in my wearever (advanced) hardware kit that I didn't use. They were a washer, a U-clip, and a blue spring. They didn't match up to anything I took off so I didn't know what to do with them. I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!
I recently did my rear brakes. I got my hardware kit at NAPA. I also had the U-clip and a longer, thin blue spring left over. They were not on the original brakes either, so I did not sweat it. You said that you replaced the shoes, did you replace the drums or get the old drums turned? One or the other should be done. The other question, did you make sure that the orientation of the shoes is correct. The smaller or primary shoe faces toward the front of the vehicle while the larger or secondary shoe faces the rear of the vehicle.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L HO

x2 on the primary and secondary shoe orientation. The difference is not blatantly obvious, and its possible to get them wrong.
Other thought would be on the parking brake setup, that can be tricky to get right.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

Originally Posted by RenegadeT
x2 on the primary and secondary shoe orientation. The difference is not blatantly obvious, and its possible to get them wrong.
Other thought would be on the parking brake setup, that can be tricky to get right.
X 2 on the parking brake setup. You have to remove the c-clip and get that lever to be freely moving. I think the washer goes under the c-clip. Did you put new adjusters on? I wouldn't re-use the old parts and the kit isn't expensive. Nice to start with everything new on drum brakes. The kit I got at Autozone didn't have new pins that go into the spring hold-downs. I noticed too that some kits have an additional flat metal cups with the hold down springs that go on top and behind the spring. Some kits have more stuff in them than others. Make sure you got the right kit for the right shoes. I've got a Dana 44 with 2.5" shoes in the back. Some have 1.75 inch shoes. The hardware is different.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:34 AM

Year: 1991

Couple of things...have the drums turned if it is possible, if not, replace them. Step on the brake pedal from time to time so as to re-center everything as you are adjusting the brakes. You may always have some slight rubbing at one spot ...what you don't want is the shoes dragging all the way around.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:26 AM

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by Carl48
Couple of things...have the drums turned if it is possible, if not, replace them. Step on the brake pedal from time to time so as to re-center everything as you are adjusting the brakes. You may always have some slight rubbing at one spot ...what you don't want is the shoes dragging all the way around.
What would cause them to drag all the way around
Old 10-02-2012, 05:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

Some shops have free brake inspections. You could try that. Since you have all new parts, taking it to a garage you trust could be another option. I had one adjuster mixed up and when I took my Jeep in for a safety inspection, the mechanic just fixed it.

It's hard to be an expert if you only do brakes once every two years or so. Mechanics do them every day. Not worth taking a chance and you've saved money buying the parts yourself.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:20 AM

A slight drag is normal. You should notice it when turning the drum by hand, but should not require much force to overcome.

Make sure the shoe is set properly into the slot on the rod on each side of the wheel cylinder.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:33 AM

Also as a side note, their is a difference between shoes on those jeeps assembled before 15-march 2000 and those assembled after. On my door mine indicated a build of 3-00 (of course) so I had to obtain a build sheet to get the exact date.