Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

really confused

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 01:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L HO, JBA headers, 99 intake, #703 injectors
Default really confused

i just finished my long pain in the a$$ project of a rc 4.5 lift on a 96 xj. i test drove it for the first time tonight and found a MAJOR problem. or so i think it is. the stearing wheel, is no longer straight but almost a 1/4 turn to the right. and i have about a 1/2 turn worth of play in it now.
has any one ever used those PS2 stearing wheels? where you turn it about a 1/4 turn and it does nothing and like 1/8 of a turn more and its full turn radius?.. its almost like that.
would anyone know how to fix this?
Old 05-02-2010, 01:11 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

After doing any kind of lift you need to get an alignment. Especially going 4.5". Get an alignment then get back to us.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:41 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: I6 4.0L HO, JBA headers, 99 intake, #703 injectors

Originally Posted by The91XJ
After doing any kind of lift you need to get an alignment. Especially going 4.5". Get an alignment then get back to us.
will do.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L IL 6

FYI, it's not a major problem. but it could cost you about 80 bucks or so for a drop pitman arm. If you lift kit didn't come with one you'll have to buy one and install it. Then get the alignment. Without the drop pitman, you most likely won't have enough thread to fix the tow (in or out). Once you get the drop pitman arm in you'll be able to get the steering wheel fixed.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:42 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4l intake,headers exhaust,

alignment after any lift for sure .. but the answer is adjust your drag bar link....

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

Last edited by gasman; 05-02-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:47 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by kapowsinpunk
FYI, it's not a major problem. but it could cost you about 80 bucks or so for a drop pitman arm. If you lift kit didn't come with one you'll have to buy one and install it. Then get the alignment. Without the drop pitman, you most likely won't have enough thread to fix the tow (in or out). Once you get the drop pitman arm in you'll be able to get the steering wheel fixed.
i have a 96 with 3in coils and 2in spacers and did not touch the trac bar or pitman arm at all and mine is fine. Did you reconnect the front sway bar? I did not at first and my steering was all over the place .Hooked it up and its fine now.Deffinately get it aligned asap.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:01 PM

the only thing wrong is his steering wheel is crooked.. by loosening the 2 bolts on the drag link and spinning the collar your wheel will line up again . you will just have to play with it to see wich direction to turn it .. i monkeyed with mine for an hour and gave up .. went back at it later and in 5 mins i had it right.. . just watch the threads and make sure you are not turning it out too far..
and then get an alignment done............
Old 05-02-2010, 11:09 PM

Steering wheel adjustment
With changes to the suspension height the steering wheel wont be centred anymore. Once you have driven on a straight level road and noted where the steering wheel sits, make sure you have it in this position before starting the next adjustment. You can get it reasonably close by sighting down along the tyres to make sure they are the same both sides when comparing their position to the rears.

You will have to lengthen the link that runs from your pitman arm that comes out of your steering box. This adjustment will only effect the steering wheel position and not anything else. You will need the keys in the ignition to release the steering lock. Then loosen the two clamps , and then rotate the sleave that the clamps are on until the steering wheel is back to centre. It helps if someone is sitting in the car but not touching the wheel to let you know if you are going in the right direction and when it is level again. Tighten the clamps back up and then test on the level road again and make any necessary adjustment to get it dead on.