Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Radio, interior lights, headlights...general electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Radio, interior lights, headlights...general electrical problems

So I recently bought a 93 Cherokee. If found out the PO has done some half*** work on it. He had the radio wired straight to the battery...no fuse,switch, or anything. I'd like to reconfigure it to where it cuts on like an OEM radio (ACC switch?) but I don't really know where to start. Here is the harness from the jeep dash that the radio hooked into:

And the harness from the aftermarket radio:

The red and yellow wires that lead into the single white wire went straight to the battery, the black wire in the upper left corner went to ground. I don't know how to fix it to an OEM spec.

Also, the interior light does not work. I can't figure where the wires go or where to even look to find anything. I did take a picture of the fuse block beneath the dash ( I don't have the cover that tells me what fuse is for what)

The red wire connected to the 10A fuse goes to nothing, the hacked up white wire in the lower left corner is for the headlights I believe (it runs up from the hood to wires near the headlights). I don't know what the other fuses are for. I also took a picture of a connector that went to nothing.

I'm in need of a lot of help. I tried to take a lot of pictures, I can take more if need be. If any of you knowledgable Cherokee owners can lead me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!! Thanks!
Old 11-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Complete interior wiring diagram.
Radio, interior lights, headlights...general electrical problems-forumrunner_20121123_111825.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Radio, interior lights, headlights...general electrical problems-forumrunner_20121123_111735.jpg  
Old 11-23-2012, 10:34 AM

Is there any place I can find those diagrams online? They are pretty thought to see.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Haynes cherokee repair manual your local library should have one, or 20 bucks at any parts store those msnuals have been a lifesaver
Old 11-23-2012, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by 97xjCrow
Haynes cherokee repair manual your local library should have one, or 20 bucks at any parts store those msnuals have been a lifesaver
Or less on eBay (watch the shipping costs).

Sometimes a junk yard is good for research as well as parts.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Try here....http://www.the12volt.com/
Old 11-23-2012, 05:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 i six H.O.

did you check fuses? did you have lights? then no lights? you might have a bare wire grounding out somewhere,all it takes is one strand of wire. i noticed in your pic,2 blue wires cut, but not taped. my dash lights and taillights kept going out and i found 2 wires cut on my radio and not taped and hittin some metal, blowin the fuse.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Grab a test light or DVM and probe the sockets in the OEM radio connector. You'll find one that is hot all the time- that's "battery". It normally connects to the red connector on your radio.
Next find the one that powers up with the ignition. That's "switched/acc"- normally connects to the yellow radio lead.
Note the colors are often as I stated, but not always. There should be a legend on the radio saying what's what.
That should be all you need to do for the radio, other than clean up that harness and re-tape so it isn't a short waiting to happen.

Fuse block diagram here:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/91-...-16650/index2/
Old 11-23-2012, 07:18 PM

The headlights and taillight a work. I was just saying the headlights because they're half*** put together. I was looking for a diagram of the fuse block to see what is what. The interior light isn't working and I'd like to fix thy as well as the radio. I'll check some things tomorrow then post back.

Another thing I noticed....when you turn the key on....the dash lights up (parki brake, CEL, shift light, etc) on the left side of the instrument cluster. I noticed on the right side nothing lights up. It seems as if there should be...for the clock maybe? Anybody know what is supposed to come up there?
Old 11-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 HO

my '90 & this '93 Im working on .. both have ACC / memory on dome light circuit .. the 93 has a yellow wire for acc/mem .. main power is red .. black ground

rear right speaker (+) blue / white (-) orange / blue

rear left speaker (+) brown / yellow (-) brown/blue

I didnt write down the fronts, because they worked .. inside rear panel .. rear spkr wires matched up .. but I have no speakers

if that helps at all .. I blew fuse on the 90 .. took forever to find it on dome circuit

I too .. have some macgyvered wires hanging around .. alarm sys (not currently working, but found the switch finally) .. AC was removed at rebuild .. cruise control removed (noticed cruise wires were snipped apart .. on the signal handle too)

Im going to try & get a photo of my 93 manual fuse diagram .. if it doesnt come out .. I'll list the fuses for you

If I pull this Combination Buzzer thing out .. below .. will it stop buzzing when drivers door is open while running ? / key inserted / seatbelt

Most annoying thing Ive heard, drivin me nuts .. I dont forget keys & I wear a seatbelt .. would rather hear the fuel pump prime up instead

Name:  fuse-1.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  118.3 KB

Name:  fuse-2.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  422.6 KB

Last edited by dogkatcher; 11-23-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Fuse 2 and 9 check for power both sides of fuse...
Old 11-24-2012, 01:04 PM

Ok guys thanks for your help! I checked for power on every fuse today. #2, which says uses a 15a fuse has a 25a fuse in it. It checked good though...11.8 on both sides. #9 fuse however came out as 0.00 on both sides. #9 is also the one in the picture with the red wire coming out of it. #19 also came out to be 0.00 (instrument panel lamps). Any clues on what I should check next?
Old 11-24-2012, 01:05 PM

And should the electric fan stay on all the time with the key on?
Old 11-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Cab4you26
And should the electric fan stay on all the time with the key on?
interior blower fan?

mine does .. even w/ key in ACC position
Old 11-24-2012, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Cab4you26
Ok guys thanks for your help! I checked for power on every fuse today. #2, which says uses a 15a fuse has a 25a fuse in it. It checked good though...11.8 on both sides. #9 fuse however came out as 0.00 on both sides. #9 is also the one in the picture with the red wire coming out of it. #19 also came out to be 0.00 (instrument panel lamps). Any clues on what I should check next?
Ignition key on?

Quick Reply: Radio, interior lights, headlights...general electrical problems