Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

radio- 95 cherokee country

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default radio- 95 cherokee country

Got a great buy on this car and everything works except the radio.
It's the stock casette radio and appears to be getting power (clock works and stations appear on presets) but no sound.

I called a local salvage yard and they had a couple of OEM units available for $25 each and they put me in touch with a local guy who does installs, so I had him come out where I work and he pulled my old unit out and plugged in the first unit. FM works weakly on one station (92.5) but only one rear speaker works. AM doesn't work at all, just white noise out of same rear speaker.

Ok, plug in 2nd radio. It does EXACTLY the same thing! FM (92.5) and no AM; just white noise- all out of 0ne speaker.

He checked fuses, wiring in the doors, etc, He gave up so I paid him for coming out and had him put the original back in. (don't even like that station).

Somebody at work said they thought there was an amplifier in the jeep somewhere that might be the problem. Any thoughts?
Old 11-06-2012, 12:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

My 98s radio doesn't pick up fm stations but am comes in clear as a bell. I checked everything I could think of too. Idk the answer to your question though.
I ultimately placed my head unit in the "creature comforts" section of my repair list lol. As long as the cassette deck holds out I'm fine with it......
Old 11-06-2012, 01:19 PM

The speakers could be shot or wiring to the speakers broken. Antenna could also be shot or a coroded or broken down antenna wire.

AM works off of gounding, FM works off of a powered signal. If your AM sucks, ground the antenna better, if the FM sucks, get a powered antenna (or replace your current antenna and see what happens).

I'd start by replacing speakers and go from there. To be honest though, I'd just replace the factory radio anyways. If you want to keep it stock for later, just don't hack up the wiring harness or the dash and you can easily return it to stock later on.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Check fuses theres two one for memory and one for radio it self .Check for 12 volts at correct wires listed here...http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/1210.html

Last edited by freegdr; 11-06-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the replies guys; much appreciated.

Fuses ok and I've replaced antennae and wire. The radio is getting power (lights up, clock works) and two junkyard radios that i plugged in to see if one would work, play FM-only thru one speaker on one channel.

Quick question, is there an aftermkt radio that I can plug and play without having to rewire? (95 cherokee country).

I know at least one speaker works, except with my unit where no speakers work... so if I could get a new radio I'd be happy... if it was a simple swap out. If i end up with one speaker working, then I could explore replacing speakers/wires later.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by bud01234
Quick question, is there an aftermkt radio that I can plug and play without having to rewire? (95 cherokee country).
There's a generic answer to your question.

At least two companies (Metra & Scosche) make adapter wiring that plugs into the Jeep/Chrysler wiring. You solder these to the after market radio wiring and then plug directly into Jeep wiring harness. These adapter cost ~$3.50 on ebay/Amazon, $20 at BestBuy et al.

I just did my 2000 Tundra yesterday, plugged it in and everything worked.

These same companies also make dash adapters. If your 95 is like my 97, then it is 1-1/2 DIN a real ba$tard size. All after market radios are either 1 or 2 DIN. Figure ~$10 for the dash adapter.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:31 AM

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Those factory radios are junk, i could only pick up 2 stations on mine and they barely came thorough. As far as the speakers go pull the radio out and find what leads on the plug go to what speaker, then pull the speaker and check for resistance (ohms) through the wire, if a multimeter shows OL or something similar it means you got an open circuit, you should see some slight resistance through the harness
Old 11-07-2012, 10:33 AM

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

As far as an aftermarket goes, buy the install kit for your vehicle (it will say on the box), buy the wiring harness adapter, then whatever radio you choose to buy. I have a Kenwood in my '97 and love it, got a cheap JVC in my '91, sound quality is ok but its my trail rig so it wont last long anyways
Old 11-09-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by MtnHermit
If your 95 is like my 97, then it is 1-1/2 DIN a real ba$tard size. All after market radios are either 1 or 2 DIN. Figure ~$10 for the dash adapter.
What does that mean? all the aftermarket radios i see are 1 DIN but I have no idea what a DIN is.

Also (pushing my luck), do I have an amplifer hidden somewhere and do the new radios require a separate amplifier?
Old 11-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by bud01234
What does that mean? all the aftermarket radios i see are 1 DIN but I have no idea what a DIN is.
Deutsches Institut für Normung eV (German Institute for Standardization; similar to US ANSI). Remember, Google is your friend.

Also (pushing my luck), do I have an amplifer hidden somewhere
Unlikely

do the new radios require a separate amplifier?
All (well most) after market radios will drive 4 speakers, modest speakers, not sub-woofers. They will have balance and fader controls built in.
Do some research, this isn't rocket science.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by MtnHermit
Deutsches Institut für Normung eV (German Institute for Standardization; similar to US ANSI). Remember, Google is your friend.

Unlikely

All (well most) after market radios will drive 4 speakers, modest speakers, not sub-woofers. They will have balance and fader controls built in.
Do some research, this isn't rocket science.

I thought that was what I was doing; pardon me for asking
Old 11-09-2012, 05:25 PM

Thanks to everyone who answered my newbie questions.
I just ordered a Pioneer DEH-2400UB from Crutchfield online.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1302400...B.html?tp=5684

$74.99 with free in dash kit for cherokee, free wiring adapter, free lifetime online tech support, free installation guide specific for the cherokee, and free shipping.

Thanks again and I'll be back if I screw up the installation.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:24 AM

Just a followup on my new radio install in the 95 jeep xj country.

Everything went smoothly (once I figured out you have to have the steering wheel tilted all the way down in order to get the wood trim dash off).

With the new radio, both AM and FM work great with all speakers online except the driver's side front door speaker. I'll check out the wiring at the rubber boot which seems to be a likely spot for broken wiring on the door speaker.

Thanks again for all the advice and patience with the newbie.
I can't say enough about crutchfield... everything was exactly as advertised and with the vehicle specific instruction sheets I didn't even have to take advantage of the lifetime tech support. At least, not yet.

Bud