Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Questions pliz!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation Questions pliz!!!

Could u pliz answer these ques.?

A. about engine oil:
1. How far shall I change the engine oil? (kms)?
2. Shall I change the filter every time?

B. about the engine coolant:
1. Shall I mixed it with fresh water? What percentage?

C. about the trans oil:
1. . How far shall I change it? (kms)?

D. After starting the ignition, the "check gagues" light shows up for seconds. Why??

Thanks a lot ….

All these ques. are about my Jeep Sport 2001.

Last edited by Arab1970; 04-26-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Arab1970

Could u pliz answer these ques.?

A. about engine oil:
1. How far shall I change the engine oil? (kms)?
2. Shall I change the filter every time?

B. about the engine coolant:
1. Shall I mixed it with fresh water? What percentage?

C. about the trans oil:
1. . How far shall I change it? (kms)?

D. After starting the ignition, the "check gagues" light shows up for seconds. Why??

Thanks a lot ….

All these ques. are about my Jeep Sport 2001.
A.
1. Every 3000 miles
2. Yes

B. Use 50/50 Coolent in your jeep (already mixed).

C. Every 30,000 miles

D. All of the dummy lights will light up following ignition to test to make sure they work.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle
A.
1. Every 3000 miles
2. Yes

B. Use 50/50 Coolent in your jeep (already mixed).

C. Every 30,000 miles

D. All of the dummy lights will light up following ignition to test to make sure they work.
شكرا جزيلا
thanks alot, valuable info!
Old 04-27-2008, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Arab1970
شكرا جزيلا
thanks alot, valuable info!
Not a problem at all

Sorry, I was too lazy to convert for you.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

Sorry, Kyle but Im going to have to disagree just a tad with you....

A.
1. Really it depends on your usage of the Jeep. Severe conditions of use on your Jeep cause it to need to be changed more frequently. But it you use it primarily in a temperate climate in highway driving you can EASILY extend your change intervals... Most modern oils have better additive packages that last much longer than in the past, so 3000 miles is quickly becoming an outdated recommendation. Just make sure that the oil meets API SL/CI+4 specification. The numbers of oils meeting these particular specifications are dropping.
B. Yes it is a good idea to change the filter everytime you do an oil change. But... There is one school of thought that you can change the filter, add an additional quart of high quality oil and extend the oil's service life.

B. Anti-freeze to water ratio.. Another good, but it depends on usage question. I live in Northern Illinois, so I get weather from 90F days in the summer to -30F temps in the winter. So maintaining my coolant mix is important. Someone with a different climate with less severe swings would need a different mix.. Just remember this... anti-freeze carries heat less effectively than water. So if you are in a hot climate reducing your anti-freeze will help you better control the heat in the engine. Another note: Use distilled water whenever available. The minerals in tap water is what some of the crud that builds up in your radiator is..

C. 30,000 miles is a good recommendation. Depending on your particular usage though it might be overkill or not aggresive enough. Heat is a killer for transmission fluid. So if you operate in a hot climate and tow, or haul heavy stuff alot keep a close eye on the condition of your fluid...

D. It's simply the Jeep's computer getting itself ready to go.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:38 AM

Nothing to be sorry for, what you are saying does make perfect sense and will work also.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer

I change my oil every 3 months. I run 50/50 anti-freeze water mix. My tranny fluid has only been changed once! (BTW, my Jeep has 350,000+ miles on it!!)
Old 04-27-2008, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by whowey
Sorry, Kyle but Im going to have to disagree just a tad with you....

A.
1. Really it depends on your usage of the Jeep. Severe conditions of use on your Jeep cause it to need to be changed more frequently. But it you use it primarily in a temperate climate in highway driving you can EASILY extend your change intervals... Most modern oils have better additive packages that last much longer than in the past, so 3000 miles is quickly becoming an outdated recommendation. Just make sure that the oil meets API SL/CI+4 specification. The numbers of oils meeting these particular specifications are dropping.
B. Yes it is a good idea to change the filter everytime you do an oil change. But... There is one school of thought that you can change the filter, add an additional quart of high quality oil and extend the oil's service life.

B. Anti-freeze to water ratio.. Another good, but it depends on usage question. I live in Northern Illinois, so I get weather from 90F days in the summer to -30F temps in the winter. So maintaining my coolant mix is important. Someone with a different climate with less severe swings would need a different mix.. Just remember this... anti-freeze carries heat less effectively than water. So if you are in a hot climate reducing your anti-freeze will help you better control the heat in the engine. Another note: Use distilled water whenever available. The minerals in tap water is what some of the crud that builds up in your radiator is..

C. 30,000 miles is a good recommendation. Depending on your particular usage though it might be overkill or not aggresive enough. Heat is a killer for transmission fluid. So if you operate in a hot climate and tow, or haul heavy stuff alot keep a close eye on the condition of your fluid...

D. It's simply the Jeep's computer getting itself ready to go.

thanks a lot
Old 07-26-2013, 03:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 6cyl.

well I live in Abu Dhabi in the UAE, and it is hot and dusty here all the time, and we do oil and filter every 3 months, and the air filter as needed. it is true that it depends on usage and also mostly( in my opinion) the ait that the engine breaths...and in this middle east location it is recommended that we do oil and filter every 3 months, no matter how mush driving we do. just wanted to throw that in....