Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

after lift problems...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default after lift problems...

I finaly got my 3.5" trail master stage II lift kit mounted on my heep this week and took the car for test drive after i drove it home from work..
1: i got this realy bad wobbeling on my front tiers a couple of times that escalated when i hit the brakes until the car stopped.. so i cheked all the nuts on my front tiers and they were tight.. anybody know what that might be.

2: my auto trany has gotten sick.. it locks the axels when i put the shifter in P. But when i shift to either gears it wont move. It first started feeling like a burnd cluch but since its a AT thats not the case.. and yes there is AT oil in it. I havent lowred the trany yet (kinda forgot after being awake for 28hours) so im gonna do that tomorrow but if the splines didnt engage then it shouldnt lock the axles when shifted to P.
Any ideas on that?
Old 07-25-2013, 09:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

It sounds like you have the Death Wobble! If you are positive that everything is tight, Did you have it aligned?
Old 07-25-2013, 10:04 PM

Did you up grade your track bar?
Have you checked your Ball Joints?
Have you balanced your tires?
Did you get your transmission dropped at all with the kit?
or a slip yolk eliminator?
Don't rely on a steering stabilizer to help you out either thats just masking a larger issue!
Some times a slight toe in will help with the wobble but chew up your tires a little quicker as a poor mans fix.

Last edited by rockstomper92yj; 07-25-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by rockstomper92yj
Did you up grade your track bar?
Have you checked your Ball Joints?
Have you balanced your tires?
Don't rely on a steering stabilizer to help you out either thats just masking a larger issue!
Some times a slight toe in will help with the wobble but chew up your tires a little quicker as a poor mans fix.
This.

Make better sentences and practice spelling.

Are you sure the tranny is full? Is your t case in neutral? Symptom sounds like it doesn't have any fluid.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

Ok.

First, what you experienced is known as "death wobble" and usually ends up happening the moment you change your suspension geometry (such as, when adding a lift kit).

1. Track Bar - are you still using the stock track bar or did you replace with an adjustable/longer track bar? Make SURE it's good and tight, and I mean TIGHT. Your front axle will shift side to side if it's not. If you DID NOT replace the track bar, make SURE that your front axle is CENTERED - if it's not, that will cause dog-tracking and potentially cause death wobble.

2. Wheel bearing/hub assembly - Check them. Both sides. Make sure they're nice and tight. Make sure the bearings aren't grinding even a little. I had bad death wobble that only presented itself AFTER my lift kit. Eventually I found that I had a bad left front wheel hub... and it was only SLIGHTLY worn, not bad enough to really worry about... yet, when I replaced it, the death wobble almost completely went away. When i DID get DW after replacing the hub, it was NOT severe and corrected itself almost immediately.

3. Tires - How is the tread on your front tires? Is it smooth and evenly worn, or is it all choppy and feathered? Believe it or not, messed up tread can cause death wobble because your front tires will fight each other for control. After I replaced that worn hub and my DW was less severe, when I finally got new tires, the DW went away ENTIRELY. I don't get it at all now.

4. Tie rod ends - make sure they're good. Any play in them can cause DW.

5. Ball joints - Same as above.

If you're like most new people, you're likely inclined to disregard the advice here but seriously, DW is nothing new, we've all been through it, and you really need to listen and heed our advice.

Check on these things I've listed and report back to us.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by 77olds
Ok.

First, what you experienced is known as "death wobble" and usually ends up happening the moment you change your suspension geometry (such as, when adding a lift kit).

1. Track Bar - are you still using the stock track bar or did you replace with an adjustable/longer track bar? Make SURE it's good and tight, and I mean TIGHT. Your front axle will shift side to side if it's not. If you DID NOT replace the track bar, make SURE that your front axle is CENTERED - if it's not, that will cause dog-tracking and potentially cause death wobble.

2. Wheel bearing/hub assembly - Check them. Both sides. Make sure they're nice and tight. Make sure the bearings aren't grinding even a little. I had bad death wobble that only presented itself AFTER my lift kit. Eventually I found that I had a bad left front wheel hub... and it was only SLIGHTLY worn, not bad enough to really worry about... yet, when I replaced it, the death wobble almost completely went away. When i DID get DW after replacing the hub, it was NOT severe and corrected itself almost immediately.

3. Tires - How is the tread on your front tires? Is it smooth and evenly worn, or is it all choppy and feathered? Believe it or not, messed up tread can cause death wobble because your front tires will fight each other for control. After I replaced that worn hub and my DW was less severe, when I finally got new tires, the DW went away ENTIRELY. I don't get it at all now.

4. Tie rod ends - make sure they're good. Any play in them can cause DW.

5. Ball joints - Same as above.

If you're like most new people, you're likely inclined to disregard the advice here but seriously, DW is nothing new, we've all been through it, and you really need to listen and heed our advice.

Check on these things I've listed and report back to us.
Ok..
1: no the stock track bar is still there but it has been and i dont know why lowerd.. this might need thightenig.

2: i have replaced both u joints in the front axle so i might need to reetighten the hubs.

3: my tires are evenly worn and the treads are ok.

4:have orderd new ones.

5:see 4

And sir.. if i didnt care i wouldnt ask would i...:-)

Last edited by XJ.Viking; 07-26-2013 at 04:33 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
This.

Make better sentences and practice spelling.

Are you sure the tranny is full? Is your t case in neutral? Symptom sounds like it doesn't have any fluid.
Thanx for joking with my dysleksia and im not from the US but Norway.... :-) but anyway no there was a lack of oil due to a leakage so that will be dealt with...