Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Question regarding OEM Overhead Compass

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 03:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Question regarding OEM Overhead Compass

So I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport. My Jeep is factory loaded with just about every option, with the exception of a overhead console, Leather / power / heated seats, and a sunroof. I was at the Junk yard and just happen to notice this Cherokee Classic with a overhead console / compass. I jumped on that right away. I think it was a 1999 or 2000? My question is... Would my 1997 Cherokee have a wire harness stuffed under the headliner? I popped this gray box off thats located right above my rear view to find a circuit board that I believe is used for remembering how many miles I have???? The plug match's 1 of the 2 plugs on my overhead console I bought. The other plug is a box shaped plug and I can't find any harness for it? Any advice were to start would be very helpful... I would love to have a Temp / Compass / DTE.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

The overhead console wiring harness is indeed, tucked up under the headliner. But the connectors are different from certain year to certain year. The circuit board you located is probably the receiver for the key less entry. But they (the overhead console)came in two different lengths. One model is for the sunroof option (Which is shorter) than the non-sun roof. As for plug & play ability. You'll have to find a '97 overhead console. Or figure out the wiring schematic so you can splice into the old harness. Hopefully you also got the wire harness form the JY. Which should make it easier to figure out for splicing. The compass/temperature/MPG module also came in 3 different variations. For example, the MPG was added in 1993. Before that it was compass/temperature only. I also believe that the headliner interior roof line changed in 1996. If you can't use it. sell it on E-bay and get the correct one you need. Consoles are selling for anywhere form $60-$130 depending on condition. Chrysler also used them in other vehicles such as the Fifth Ave., Town and country Van, The diplomat, and a couple of others. If you where to call a dealership for a new replacement compass/temperature/ MPG module. The asking price is $699. I find all this out when I repaired my 1991 overhead console a couple of years ago. Good luck to you.

Last edited by 91 limited owner; 09-16-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner
The overhead console wiring harness is indeed, tucked up under the headliner. But the connectors are different from certain year to certain year. The circuit board you located is probably the receiver for the key less entry. But they (the overhead console)came in two different lengths. One model is for the sunroof option (Which is shorter) than the non-sun roof. As for plug & play ability. You'll have to find a '97 overhead console. Or figure out the wiring schematic so you can splice into the old harness. Hopefully you also got the wire harness form the JY. Which should make it easier to figure out for splicing. The compass/temperature/MPG module also came in 3 different variations. For example, the MPG was added in 1993. Before that it was compass/temperature only. I also believe that the headliner interior roof line changed in 1996. If you can't use it. sell it on E-bay and get the correct one you need. Consoles are selling for anywhere form $60-$130 depending on condition. Chrysler also used them in other vehicles such as the Fifth Ave., Town and country Van, The diplomat, and a couple of others. If you where to call a dealership for a new replacement compass/temperature/ MPG module. The asking price is $699. I find all this out when I repaired my 1991 overhead console a couple of years ago. Good luck to you.
Well, this is the correct Over Head Console. I just can't find the wire harness for it. I pulled the covers off both A pilars and the only wire harness I see is for the Ignition Lock. (Locks door when key is in start, Unlocks when off). I pulled the glove box, and I see nothing behind the kicker panel either? I'm lost