Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Question about A/C Compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 08:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Question about A/C Compressor?

I just recently bought a Brand New A/C Compressor From Advance Auto. Mainly because I have no A/C in my jeep. I tried charging it prior to buying a new A/C Compressor but it leaked it all out and it sounded like it was leaking it out around the clutch on the A/C Compressor. So hence that's why I bought a new one.

Anyway's this will be my first A/C Compressor install and would like to know if there's anything special I should do or need to know about before installation. After I install it im going to drive over to a buddys house from work who has a A/C Vacuum pump that's going to vacuum out the whole system for me before I recharge the A/C.

Is there anything I should do after Vacuuming out the system and recharging it. Or is that basically it? Looks to be a pretty easy job but the new A/C Compressor warranty says if its not installed by a professional shop with documentation then the 2 year warranty is forfeited. So I'd hate to install it and something go wrong and then the warranty be no good. I just can't afford the ridiculous fees shop's charge for stuff like this. It was bad enough the A/C Compressor was over $200 bucks. And times are tight right now. I can only imagine a shop would charge about $300-$500 bucks to install it.

So if I could get some help I would be very appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

The warranty probably also requires flushing the system, a new orifice or expansion valve, and a new filter/dryer.

And documentation that all this was done with sales and service receipts.

A/C work is expensive for a reason. DIY's often do it wrong or cut corners. That's why they insist on all that for warranty.

You need all that other stuff anyway to help make sure your efforts and money are not wasted.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Well I was hoping I didn't need to change all that other stuff. Prior to buying the new A/C Compressor when I tried charging the system up it worked great for a day. Had nice cold A/C. But after that it leaked it all out. And it sounded like it was leaking out right at the clutch on the compressor. So was hoping that all it needed, everything thing else was fine.

So you mean if I install the new compressor and have it vacuumed out and recharged its not going to work property because I didn't change the orifice or expansion valvedrive or a new filter drier?
Old 07-11-2012, 02:37 PM
CF Veteran

Maybe, maybe not.

But if you ever need to make a warranty claim on the compressor, you will be out of luck.

NOT doing what they say can directly lead to compressor failure. Or the A/C may not preform as well as it should. Or both.

Your Jeep, your money. Your crapshoot.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:20 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0I6

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
The warranty probably also requires flushing the system, a new orifice or expansion valve, and a new filter/dryer.

And documentation that all this was done with sales and service receipts.

A/C work is expensive for a reason. DIY's often do it wrong or cut corners. That's why they insist on all that for warranty.

You need all that other stuff anyway to help make sure your efforts and money are not wasted.
Firestorm is right on this. Even if the new Ex valve and drier were not needed for warranty, it is not that much more $$ to do it right. You will be glad when you have a long - lived, high functioning AC system. This is not the place to cut corners. Any corners.

Good luck!

-t
Old 07-11-2012, 05:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: Several

The scare tactics work - sometimes.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

As I said, his Heep, his money, his misery.