Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Pushing the seat waaaay back

Old 01-12-2019, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Pushing the seat waaaay back

I have a '99 power seats. The seat goes back far enough for driving but when I'm at a customers house I need to do work on my laptop and would like to move it back another 6in or so the laptop can fit between my gut and the steering wheel. Before I take things apart, is it possible to reset the seat in a position further back on the rails or would I need an adapter? I don't need to move that far forward so I don't care if won't move up all the way.

I've looked around and haven't found a solid answer. Besides, my seat heater doesn't work either and I could fix that while I'm in there. It's gets pretty damn cold here in Chicago.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 01-12-2019, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

There's someone on here who sells extended plates to push the seat back. I tried contacting him but he didn't respond, so I made my own, extended 3" which was a big difference.

I sent it it to you in a PM, if anyone else here wants my write up I'll send it to them too. Or I can post it here, not sure if it breaks rules like if the guy is a vendor or something and I've created a work around for 10% of the cost and an hour's work.

Not or sure if it works with electric seats though. Worth a shot though!
Old 01-12-2019, 10:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Not without some significant mods to the adjuster. The easiest method would be to retro a manual adjuster atop the motorized adjuster. The net gain height, even after cutting the floor mounts off the manual adjuster before welding to the motorized one, would probably be untenable. Not intended to be personal, it would be easier for the driver to reduce his gut. Or, sit in the middle of the rear seat.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:37 AM

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by nickfancher1
I sent it it to you in a PM, if anyone else here wants my write up I'll send it to them too.
I'd like that, please. I am going to be doing it to mine and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2019, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by nickfancher1
There's someone on here who sells extended plates to push the seat back. I tried contacting him but he didn't respond, so I made my own, extended 3" which was a big difference.

I sent it it to you in a PM, if anyone else here wants my write up I'll send it to them too. Or I can post it here, not sure if it breaks rules like if the guy is a vendor or something and I've created a work around for 10% of the cost and an hour's work.

Not or sure if it works with electric seats though. Worth a shot though!
That's good idea. I was thinking it might come to something like that. Got your PM. Nice work!
Old 01-13-2019, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the write up. I don't see why posting it here would be against the rules.
It seems pretty simple and straight forward. So much I am about to go get the materials needed and do at least the driver's seat today!
Old 01-14-2019, 07:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee

the floor of the xj is pretty flat I just unbolted mine and moved it back and drilled new holes and bolted it down im also kinda fat and over 6" tall so I cut my brackets and removed 2" and welded em back together so it sits lower too now I have plenty or head and belly room !!
Old 02-09-2019, 04:03 PM

I just came back in from attempting this and it did not work on my 1993. Not sure if it is a difference in the manual to power seats but after removing the cushion from the base I noticed that the metal frame for the seat bottom is not flat and if I were to bolt the new metal piece in it would hit the pivot point for the manual lever. Since I do not plan on having carpet in the XJ I am just going to drill new holes in the floorboard (like tinytrax78 did), use either some large fender washers or a piece of sheet metal to reinforce the area, and move the seat back that way. I really didn't want to because the seat bracket will now be moved backwards in the way of the back seat passenger. Guess it's a good thing it is my Jeep and I won't have to ride back there!!
Old 02-09-2019, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Why not just work from the passenger seat?
Old 02-09-2019, 04:17 PM

For me it's not about being able to work in the front it's about having more room in general to make it slightly easier to get in/out of.