Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How should the side marker lights function?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 04:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts
Year: 1995 RHD
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l
Default How should the side marker lights function?

By looking at the wiring diagram for the 95 RHD, it looks like the side markers should be on when the HL switch is in the park position, then I guess flash while indicating. There should also be a parking light in the front indicator which is also on with the HL switch in park.

I don't get any of the parking lamp operation in the amber units, just a white bulb in my headlights and one in the rear lights. Is this because it's a UK XJ? I know that my front indicator lights take a twin input bulb and do have 3 wires going to them so do have at least partial wiring for the function. My side markers by the front wheels do function properly as indicators.

To cut a long story short, I'd like to have the side marker function and would hope that it'd be something as simple as a missing relay but I doubt that's the case. Thanks to all who read.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

It's because it's the U.K. version.

If you pull the side-marker lenses, you'll find they are a solid unit. The U.S. version is hollow and has a little spot for a 194 bulb. Someone had this same concern a few months back which is how I know.

You could route wiring and add the bulbs if you'd like and then just buy a pair of U.S. XJ side-marker lenses and pigtails. Maybe test the third wire you mentioned and see if it is powered when the headlight **** is half-pulled and fully pulled.

Edit -- The U.S. side-marker lenses are surprisingly cheap. Check Quadratec.com or amazon and you can find them for $10 or less U.S.

Last edited by PatHenry; 02-07-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

Looking at mine, the spot for the bulb is there, just no hole for the bulb. I may just take a drill to it while trying to get out as much plastic swarf and use some generic bulb holders. My lens isn't the best looking so if it makes a mess of it, it won't be like screwing up a clean unit.

I was also talking about this light which from various pictures of XJ's, most I found don't seem to have them, especially not the pre face-lift models.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:54 PM
CF Veteran

Interesting, I've never seen those before.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:57 PM
CF Veteran

Maybe it was an export addition to comply with rules specific to the export countries.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Those markers were an export thing. Regulations and stuff. Heres one from Japan.

The 99-01 Orvis Edition XJ, sold in the UK, also had them.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

I've picked up 2 bulb holders from a Ford Transit van at a scrap yard, drilled into my lenses and they light up as the US ones would.

So now for the wiring, do the side marker lights flash with the indicators or do they just mark the sides when the HL switch is on? I would like them to do both but can't think of an easy way to do so.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

Ok, I literally just checked my 95.

The sidemarker turn on when the light switch is pulled halfway out. The are also on when the lights are on.
When the blinker is blinking, the sidemarkers blink IN SYNC with the turn signals.

As far as easily wiring it up, couldn't you do a dual filiment bulb and wire it directly into the wires for the light under the headlight? It's always doing the same thing as the sidemarker.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

One can also do a wiring mod to cause the side marker & turn signal lamp to function ala GM style:
Diagram and explaination here:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...er-lamp-24575/

"I will explain the configuration.

Current flow to the parking lights remain unchanged, hence the parking lights and the turn signal both operate normally.

When the parking lights (or Headlights) are NOT turned ON (or they are OFF), current will flow to both the turn signal lights and the marker lights and they both will flash in sync.

With the parking lights ON, current will flow to the parking lights and the marker lights, but when the turn signal is used left or right on the vehicle, 12 volts will be applied to both sides of the marker light when the turn signal is operating causing no current flow through the marker light, hence it will not illuminate. That is; when the turn signal is ON the marker light will be OFF, when the turn signal is OFF the marker light will illuminate again. Once the turn is complete and the directional lever returns to it's normal OFF position, the marker light and the parking light will both illuminate normally.

I was also thinking about a mirror arrow, but I was concerned that the wiring would be more extensive. Not sure if this was an option from GM and the wires may already be in the door harness.

Hope this explanation helps. "
Old 02-08-2019, 05:15 PM
CF Veteran

I don't know of any dual filament bulbs that would fit into the side markers. According to the FSM it takes a 194 bulb which is a single filament. Does the bulb go brighter while indicating or turn off and on? I'm getting alright at understanding the wiring diagram for this thing but this one has me stumped as the bulb takes a feed from the side light circuit and from the turn signal circuit with no straight path to ground.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by boxburn
I don't know of any dual filament bulbs that would fit into the side markers.
It isn't, it's a 194 simply ON or Off.

I like the idea of the front fender wheel lip "I'm cutting you off get the **** outta my way" mounting. lol
Old 02-08-2019, 05:22 PM
CF Veteran

I hadn't actually refreshed my page before typing out that last reply. I do understand the idea that you posted but didn't quite think it was the way it would have been done to have the lights alternate while flashing. Is that the way that it works on the XJs, flash in sync with the lights off then alternate when lights are on? If so I've really tried to overthink this by not knowing that's how they worked, it would also make life much easier for the install.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by boxburn
I don't know of any dual filament bulbs that would fit into the side markers. According to the FSM it takes a 194 bulb which is a single filament. Does the bulb go brighter while indicating or turn off and on? I'm getting alright at understanding the wiring diagram for this thing but this one has me stumped as the bulb takes a feed from the side light circuit and from the turn signal circuit with no straight path to ground.
I wonder if you are seeing what gave me problems when trying to put LED's in my side markers on my '00.
This is part of my write up about putting LED's in my '00.

Problems started with the 194's in the side markers. Remember that LED's have polarity.

So putting it in one way resulted in this:
Would go on with headlights.
Would blink when using the turn signals when the headlights were on.
Would not blink when using the turn signals with the headlights off.

Putting the bulb in the other way resulted in this:
Would not light up when you turned on the headlights.
Would blink when you used the turn signals with the headlights off.
Would not blink when you used the turn signals with the headlights on.

So my buddy checked with a meter. There are only 2 wires going to the connector for the 194. Depending on what you have on or are turning on determines which wire is ground and which wire is power. One wire could be power for one application but the exact same wire could be ground for another.

Now since a regular bulb can flow in both directions it does not matter. This is where LED's having polarity cause a problem.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:36 PM
CF Veteran

Well currently all I see is a project in planning however, I'll keep these as regular bulbs instead of LED to avoid any issues so thanks for the heads up. This is where I'm currently at, I don't even have the right size drill bit at home to have it ready to wire in tomorrow.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:59 PM
CF Veteran

I have the words straight from the FSM.

When the turn signal system is activated, the selected (right or left) turn signal indicator lamp, front park/turn signal lamp and rear tail/stop/turn signal lamp bulb filaments will flash. With the headlamp switch in the OFF position, the turn and front side marker lamps flash in unison. With the headlamp switch in the ON position, the turn and front side marker lamps flash alternately.
I certainly tried to over complicate it in my head but at least I now know what my plan of action is. I get a feeling that I have a bad connection somewhere which is why my wheel arch indicator does not act as a side marker at all, nor do my front indicators as they are all fed from the same splice.

I'll let you all know how it goes anyway,

Quick Reply: How should the side marker lights function?