Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Purchase and installing a rebuilt 4.0: How much should it cost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Purchase and installing a rebuilt 4.0: How much should it cost?

My girlfriend's 2000 Cherokee is in my friend's shop right now for a flush. He said it is on the leading edge of a head gasket failure. His test equipment is not indicating a full leak, but definetely some seepage.

The motor also has a knock that is heard on startup and, I'm pretty sure, is always evident.

My friend says he's leary about putting a new head gasket on a knocking motor. Says he's seen the result of the proper compression causing a spun bearing on the old rods/crank.

I can get an entire rebuilt engine with a 3 year/250,000 mile full warranty for $1745 to install myself or $2800 to have the motor exchange place do it.

Looking at this thing and knowing the motor is "tired", I'm tempted to just drop a new one in. The Jeep is in fantastic shape with no rust other than surface rust on the undercarraige components. I'm actually impressed with how clean it looks underneath. It has been babied. Zero off road use.

What would you do and what would you expect to pay? Thanks!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l I6

you should check everdrive.com. I found the engine for your car for around 1500 shipped to you. Has a 3 year UNLIMITED mileage warranty.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

I would ask your friend to guide you through rebuilding it yourself,assuming you have not done this before. it is alot cheaper and you will have a better motor when done,most rebuilt engines are done assembly line style and the quality is not as good as you can do, you would learn alot and save many dollars.
If that is not something you want to do then I would have your friend rebuild it,you will get a better motor.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:45 PM

Actually, my friend is not in that line of work. He is the store manager of a Goodyear Auto Care Center. They do a lot, but they don't do engine builds and/or swaps.

As far as me rebuilding it, I'm a singe dad of 7-year-old triplets and I work full time. May days of spending hours in the garage building engines are done. I can do it, but I prefer not to and prbably can't do it in a timely manner anyhow. I am all for doing the swap myself to save $1000. Still, having not done this in a looooong time, I picture myself being hit left and right with surprises like specialty tools I don't have andbreaking stuff that wasn't supposed to break. You know how it goes.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:59 PM
CF Veteran

I understand your situation,I would still have a good machine shop or engine rebuilder do the rebuild,and do the install yourself and spend the money you save on your triplets and girlfriend.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l I6

I have 3 kids myself and im restoring an 89 cherokee that was barely rolling. Its taking me some time lol.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:15 PM

I still wouldn't mind spending the time, but now is not the time for it. My wife passed away last March and I'm choosing to spend as much time with the kids as possible. We're all ok, but things like engines and stuff will take a back seat.

I still need to evaluate the worth of putting $1000-$2000 into a nine year old vehicle, plus it needs an evap core and heater core. Who knows how long the trans will last? Transfer case? All that stuff.

But the body and chassis look great.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:38 PM
CF Veteran

Sorry about your loss. not sure what trany you have but my auto has over 250k on it and going strong,better find some wood,lol. as far as the heater and ac that can be very spending due to the labor involved,it is very possible you could be into this with motor and other repairs close to $4000-$5000,someone on here the other day was quoted $1000 to replace the heater core.
Depending on miles it has I think it is still worth it,and you will know what you have vs not knowing.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:46 PM

NickG. Where are you located at? You may be able to get someone to help with rebuilding the engine.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 2.5L

for that price you should go ahead and get yourself a 4.6 L stroker jeepspeed motor
Old 12-16-2009, 10:05 PM

Year: 98' and 99'

X2 on the stroker... I know when my engine goes, its gonna become a 4.6 stroker
Old 12-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by JSwamper
X2 on the stroker... I know when my engine goes, its gonna become a 4.6 stroker
whats the usual price? i'm going through the same engine trouble.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:07 AM

Hey, all! Thanks for the advice so far. You guys have been very helpful!
Question… I can get a rebuilt engine for $1750 with a 250,000/3 year full warranty from Michigan Motor Exchange or I can get a used engine from Evertime for $1600.

Why would I pay $100 less for a used motor? Wouldn’t a rebuilt motor with all new components be a better deal? What am I missing here?

Looks like I will do both the heater and evap core. I have all next week off and nothing but time. I do have help from a 4wd gearhead junkie friend of mine. I’ll just spend the entire day on it and let the kids watch movies and feast on sugar all day LOL!! It saves me about $800.
Then I know the core’s are good. The shop got the radiator unplugged and said it was in excellent shape (it’s only 2 years old). Then if I swap a motor for under $2000, I’m all set for well under $3000 total. I think this Jeep is worth it.
What you say? And thanks again.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:24 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by NickG
Question… I can get a rebuilt engine for $1750 with a 250,000/3 year full warranty from Michigan Motor Exchange or I can get a used engine from Evertime for $1600.

Why would I pay $100 less for a used motor? Wouldn’t a rebuilt motor with all new components be a better deal? What am I missing here?

Looks like I will do both the heater and evap core. I have all next week off and nothing but time. I do have help from a 4wd gearhead junkie friend of mine. I’ll just spend the entire day on it and let the kids watch movies and feast on sugar all day LOL!! It saves me about $800.
Then I know the core’s are good. The shop got the radiator unplugged and said it was in excellent shape (it’s only 2 years old). Then if I swap a motor for under $2000, I’m all set for well under $3000 total. I think this Jeep is worth it.

i would say its worth it. rust free jeeps are hard to come by in MI. i have a 2000 and its rusting out bad.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:25 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L 6cyl

Originally Posted by NickG

Have you checked out hiperformer.com? Thats where I plan on getting mine from come spring time. They have a 7 year 100k mile warranty on all their rebuilt engines; based out of Washington state and been in business longer than Ive been alive; also have a A+ rating on bbb. For me, and I realize mine is an 89 and yours is a 2k, its roughly 1500 shipped.

Either way, your plan sounds good. Sounds like a fun project for a weekend. Make sure you have all your gaskets and fluids on hand before you start; sucks to have to stop in the middle for a damn intake manny gasket or something.

EDITED!!: I did a quick google search on that company you are planning to go with and the very second hit was a link off of ripoffreport.com (great site for finding out if certain products are bs or not). Looks like they might be shady... http://www.ripoffreport.com/Auto-Par...ll-n-fadc4.htm

Last edited by brandon402; 12-17-2009 at 09:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Purchase and installing a rebuilt 4.0: How much should it cost?