Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Pulling codes on a '01 XJ 4.0?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Pulling codes on a '01 XJ 4.0?

All,

Tried to search this topic. My check engine light popped on last night. 01 XJ 4.0 with 122k. Runs great. Is there a handheld diagnostic tool or any other way I can pull the code myself?

Thanks in advance,

SeaVee
Old 01-13-2015, 11:43 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Ya go to your local parts store and they can pull the code for you.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:32 PM

Yeah- get that, just thought there maybe something I can buy and keep at home.

Thanks,
Old 01-13-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000

they have them at wal-mart, autozone, where ever. make sure its OBDII.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

You can certainly buy one to have at home. The good ones aren't cheap though. I can't speak to the longevity of the cheap ones as I don't own one. Free to get them pulled at the local parts store though, freeing up money for fixing the issue.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:17 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

If you have an Android phone with Bluetooth, you can read, research and reset codes using the Torque app ($6). To make it work, you also have to order an ELM327 OBDII bluetooth adapter to connect the phone to the OBDII port under your dash. Amazon and eBay are the usual sources for those. They can be as cheap as $7, but those really cheap ones sometimes have compatibility issues. Be sure and read the reviews before you buy one. (I bought
this one this one
, but you can definitely get cheaper.)

Torque not only functions as a complete scan tool that does anything a $300 handheld scan tool can do, you can also set it up as an engine monitor that will display any data the computer has. It will also do a complete emissions readiness test to tell you whether you'll pass emissions if you live in a nanny state.

Torque is only for Android. If you have an iPhone, there's some other app that basically does the same thing. For iPhone, you have to make sure the OBDII adapter you're buying will actually work with Apple products, because some don't.

A while back I threw a code in my Subaru in rural Arkansas. I pulled over and read the code. I clicked the link in Torque for more information, and Torque opened a search in my browser that led me to a message board discussing it. It turned out to be a minor known bug that could be reset, so I cleared the code with Torque right there on the side of the road and continued on my way.

One final word of WARNING: There's nothing wrong at all with buying a very cheap Korean or Chinese OBDII adapter, but DO NOT install any software that comes with a cheap adapter. If you get a CD with it, toss it. Those things are full of malware.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Amazon.com: INNOVA 3040 Diagnostic Scan Tool/Code Reader with Live Data for OBD2 Vehicles: Automotive Amazon.com: INNOVA 3040 Diagnostic Scan Tool/Code Reader with Live Data for OBD2 Vehicles: Automotive
Old 01-14-2015, 12:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by extrashaky
If you have an Android phone with Bluetooth, you can read, research and reset codes using the Torque app ($6). To make it work, you also have to order an ELM327 OBDII bluetooth adapter to connect the phone to the OBDII port under your dash. Amazon and eBay are the usual sources for those. They can be as cheap as $7, but those really cheap ones sometimes have compatibility issues. Be sure and read the reviews before you buy one. (I bought this one, but you can definitely get cheaper.)

Torque not only functions as a complete scan tool that does anything a $300 handheld scan tool can do, you can also set it up as an engine monitor that will display any data the computer has. It will also do a complete emissions readiness test to tell you whether you'll pass emissions if you live in a nanny state.

Torque is only for Android. If you have an iPhone, there's some other app that basically does the same thing. For iPhone, you have to make sure the OBDII adapter you're buying will actually work with Apple products, because some don't.

A while back I threw a code in my Subaru in rural Arkansas. I pulled over and read the code. I clicked the link in Torque for more information, and Torque opened a search in my browser that led me to a message board discussing it. It turned out to be a minor known bug that could be reset, so I cleared the code with Torque right there on the side of the road and continued on my way.

One final word of WARNING: There's nothing wrong at all with buying a very cheap Korean or Chinese OBDII adapter, but DO NOT install any software that comes with a cheap adapter. If you get a CD with it, toss it. Those things are full of malware.
^^^^

Torque Pro & the bluetooth adapter is some of the best 18 bucks I spent on my Jeep.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:36 AM

Year: 2001

If you just want CEL codes then pretty much any cheapie will do.
I have a cheapie that I bought years ago and it has served me will over the years. It just reads and clears codes.
If you want more and have an Android phone or tablet Torque and an ELM327 dongle are neat. They will let you monitor real time stuff and can log many sensor readings.
I looked at getting a 'better' plugin reader that would do ABS and transmission stuff but in reading reviews they seem to be a mixed bag of pain and suffering but taking into account that it is mostly disgruntled buyers who post who knows.
Torque works well, I have 2 other vehicles beside my 01 Cherokee and have played with it on all of them with good success, I have used cell phones and my cheapie tablet with good success too.
You can get the Lite version of Torque for free and the dongles are pretty cheap on Amazon, eBay and Alibaba. There are other software that will work on bluetooth enabled laptops as well and they will work with the ELM327 dongle as well.
Easier is the cheapie plugin.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

This is the code/reader scan tool I have. It's not the least expensive Innova offering, but it is one that gives you actual "live data" which can be really helpful with stubborn issues. I'm a HUGE fan of Innova code readers and scan tools. Great value for the money and you get a reader from a solid company that will be around far into the future and that stands behind their products.

Here's a link to a more basic Innova code reader (not a scan tool) for about $45. Another good choice.

Amazon.com: INNOVA 3020 Diagnostic Scan Tool/Code Reader for OBD2 Vehicles: Automotive Amazon.com: INNOVA 3020 Diagnostic Scan Tool/Code Reader for OBD2 Vehicles: Automotive

Last edited by tjwalker; 01-14-2015 at 05:26 PM.