Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No power to tires.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Cool No power to tires.

Short Question:
Could a hole in a hose connected to the top of the front diff cause my jeep not to go even though it was in 2WD?
==============================

Back Story:
So I hoped in my jeep the other day and took off towards work. About 2 miles down the road I noticed it wasn't shifting properly. I pulled into a gas station and found I couldn't go into reverse. Got it back into drive and like an idiot I just figured I'd see how far I can make it lol..

At about 55mph, I stopped getting power to the tires and eventually pulled over. Now I get no power to tires in any gear. I get out and there is fluid all over the side of the jeep and everywhere else. - It seemed like it was primarily on the front diff, so I put it in 4WD and it still won't go anywhere.

Thinking it was the trans, I towed it home. When I get home I notice there is a trail of fluid from my house all the way to the corner store 0.o. Transmission fluid levels appeared to be fine.

I dug around a little today, put a little extra trans fluid in it (actually i put 2 quarts eek!) and let it run for about 30 minutes. Can't find a leak anywhere.

About to give up, I looked at the front diff and noticed that there is a huge gash in the hose that comes out of the top of it. Could a hole in a hose connected to the front diff cause my jeep not to go even though it was in 2WD?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2015, 11:33 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

So what kind of vehicle is this that you speak of? We need more info,year,make and model would be nice.
What does the fluid smell like?Is it red?(the trail you left on the ground)

From what it sounds like from reading your post it sounds like you lost trans fluid and drove it till you burnt the trans up.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:09 PM

Hah, dang. Sorry. I had been typing that in while searching so I assumed it made it to my post.

It's a 98 jeep cherokee 4WD.

The fluid is actually quite dark and it just smells like oil to me. The engine runs fine and there were no problems with the transmission until this. But I geuss a problem has to start somewhere aye?

Looking around I can't even see where the fluid would have come from. Nothing is leaking at the moment.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1990

So what was the trans fluid level? Full? Empty? Close to empty?

And to answer the question, no, a hole in a hose will not kill power to the wheels, either 1) the t case main shaft exploded, or 2) (more likely) your trans leaked fluid to the point it was just free spinning, since you said you actually saw fluid on the front diff, check the two trans cooler hoses running to the radiator as well.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Parsnip
So what was the trans fluid level? Full? Empty? Close to empty?

And to answer the question, no, a hole in a hose will not kill power to the wheels, either 1) the t case main shaft exploded, or 2) (more likely) your trans leaked fluid to the point it was just free spinning, since you said you actually saw fluid on the front diff, check the two trans cooler hoses running to the radiator as well.

The fluid was at the "add" mark, just below the "safe" line. I followed all hoses from transmission. All seemed fine.

I too thought it was a trans hose as I had problems with it when I bought it a couple years ago. But it's still attached.

Doesn't help that there is moisture everywhere today (been raining).

And yeah, after more research, I think that's just a breather hose up there.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:28 PM

Year: 1999

I would say that the fluid you leaked was more then likely trans fluid,if it was gear oil it would smell horrible and not like oil.

x2 on checking the trans lines that run to the radiator for leakage and transmission fluid needs to be checked with it at running temp to be accurate.The trans fluid should be red,if its black then its burnt.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989

If you can see a path going for miles down the road then it really should be easy to find where it's spewing out from your rig.

My $$$ is on you cooked the transmission.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firehawk618
If you can see a path going for miles down the road then it really should be easy to find where it's spewing out from your rig.

My $$$ is on you cooked the transmission.
Seriously doubt he cooked an aw4. That's very, very hard to do lol

But the torque converter on the other hand, they do tend to be a little crap, because honestly they are a little small for the power. The aw4 itself though is what they use in the freight trucks in Japan, so...it's a touch lil cracker, just a crappy tc
Old 01-13-2015, 11:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by flashsplat
Transmission fluid levels appeared to be fine. Level(s?)...You do know you check the trans with it idling in park? My stick has a hot level side, and a cold level side. I normally ignore the cold side.

I looked at the front diff and noticed that there is a huge gash in the hose that comes out of the top of it.
Both diff's, the trans, and the transfer case all have vent tubes. Since they come out the top you would not expect fluid from them. That said, it think my trans might be leaking into my Transfer case, my T-case waz way over the upper fill plug the other day. If mine keeps leking like that, it's T-Case vent may spew someday.

I get it your issue seems different, but that AW4 should go if you have the fluid up, and didn't gas it a bunch while it wasn't going....
Old 01-14-2015, 06:31 PM

Location: north of the Rio Grande, south of the Red, east of the Pecos, west of the Sabine
Model: Comanche

When you say the xmsn fluid was at the "ADD" mark, you were checking that level with the engine running, xmsn in neutral, right?