Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Pretty Sure My Shocks Are Blown...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop
Default Pretty Sure My Shocks Are Blown...

I installed my 3 inch lift from Zone offroad back in october. The lift came with 4 hydroulic shocks. I went wheeling the other day and also took some really bumpy dirt roads to get back there. I noticed today at a stoplight that when I slammed on the brakes, the front end would bounce a couple times. Did I blow something? That's really not normal for 3 month old shocks right? If they are in fact blown or worn out, what should I get as a replacement? I want something that will stand up to the same kind of abuse. Maybe Remote Resivour gas shocks?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 i six H.O.

Originally Posted by 1996XJSport
I installed my 3 inch lift from Zone offroad back in october. The lift came with 4 hydroulic shocks. I went wheeling the other day and also took some really bumpy dirt roads to get back there. I noticed today at a stoplight that when I slammed on the brakes, the front end would bounce a couple times. Did I blow something? That's really not normal for 3 month old shocks right? If they are in fact blown or worn out, what should I get as a replacement? I want something that will stand up to the same kind of abuse. Maybe Remote Resivour gas shocks?
did you see any oil on and around the shocks? if there is, then the shock sprung a leak. seems strange for 3 month old shocks though. my rear passenger shock is blown and i bought 4 new skyjacker hydro shocks,but i havnt put them on yet.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 I6

The shocks that came with my lift were rough countrys and the rears died within 5,000 miles just driving around town.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by redmuck
did you see any oil on and around the shocks? if there is, then the shock sprung a leak. seems strange for 3 month old shocks though. my rear passenger shock is blown and i bought 4 new skyjacker hydro shocks,but i havnt put them on yet.
Nothing noticible... I have taken my XJ through a "whoop section" at about 45 mph and I have jumped it 2 or 3 feet in the air before too. So i'm guessing they couldn't handle the abuse?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by 1996XJSport
Nothing noticible... I have taken my XJ through a "whoop section" at about 45 mph and I have jumped it 2 or 3 feet in the air before too. So i'm guessing they couldn't handle the abuse?
Thats an enormous amount of stress on the shocks, so it's possible they broke because of the jumps.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by OOdynamite

Thats an enormous amount of stress on the shocks, so it's possible they broke because of the jumps.
Yeah that's what I figured. I checked them over today and they aren't leaking which is weird. Im definitely going to invest in some race grade shocks because my build seems to lean toward the jeepspeed/prerunner area anyway.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0

if your going jeep speed/pre runner I'd spend some time with a welder and put in some shock towers as a few more jumps and your shocks might make a nice little hole in the paper thin sheet metal up front
Old 01-10-2011, 08:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Irongrave
if your going jeep speed/pre runner I'd spend some time with a welder and put in some shock towers as a few more jumps and your shocks might make a nice little hole in the paper thin sheet metal up front
+1.

Easier to be preemptive than reactive.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Irongrave
I don't hit anything as huge as what's on the actual jeepspeed courses, but I definitely will be reinforcing the stock shock tower location.