Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power steering question and Fuel system question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default Power steering question and Fuel system question

Hey guys, new here.. just got my new '01 XJ delivered today and noticed a couple things that I wanted/need to address first..

So my brother and I were out takin the Jeep for a spin checkin it out and it made good turns until we came to turn back on our street and noticed a weird all most grinding/hum noise. Well come to find out it sounds like the steering pump made a weird noise when we turned the wheel and also the pressure line was leaking, of course fluid is low..Ok question, im going to get a new hose but i was wondering, should i go ahead and get a new pump as well considering the noises we heard or is that normal when it gets low? It make no noise until you move to wheel, unless you hold a flathead to it and then it can hear a noise but not sure if its normal for these vane pumps..

Second question, the Jeeps last oil change was in August and by the 3k mile rule for an oil change the jeep only has a few hundred miles put on it since then and the stickers expired 5/12..its low on gas so im going to go ahead and drop the tank and clean it out..Do you guys think i should just go a head and change out the fuel pump considering ill have the tank out? If so, what is a good upgrade to OEM?
Old 02-27-2014, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by GarrettJ
Hey guys, new here.. just got my new '01 XJ delivered today and noticed a couple things that I wanted/need to address first..

So my brother and I were out takin the Jeep for a spin checkin it out and it made good turns until we came to turn back on our street and noticed a weird all most grinding/hum noise. Well come to find out it sounds like the steering pump made a weird noise when we turned the wheel and also the pressure line was leaking, of course fluid is low..Ok question, im going to get a new hose but i was wondering, should i go ahead and get a new pump as well considering the noises we heard or is that normal when it gets low? It make no noise until you move to wheel, unless you hold a flathead to it and then it can hear a noise but not sure if its normal for these vane pumps..

Second question, the Jeeps last oil change was in August and by the 3k mile rule for an oil change the jeep only has a few hundred miles put on it since then and the stickers expired 5/12..its low on gas so im going to go ahead and drop the tank and clean it out..Do you guys think i should just go a head and change out the fuel pump considering ill have the tank out? If so, what is a good upgrade to OEM?
The pump should be ok, just put some more fluid in it before dumping money for a new one. I wouldn't bother dropping the tank until something goes wrong fuel wise.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:08 PM

You think?

im just worried about bad gas screwing up the motor...im just a worry freak when it comes to maintenance...its part of my job lol
Old 02-27-2014, 11:15 PM
CF Veteran

You think?

im just worried about bad gas screwing up the motor...im just a worry freak when it comes to maintenance...its part of my job lol
It would take some gnarly gas to mess up a 4.0. I swapped a motor into the 94 I bought and ran it on 8 month old gas. Lol
Old 02-28-2014, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Ran 10gal of 7yr old gas through mine once to get rid of it, stuff smelled like turpentine, ran fine.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:58 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Fill the tank and dump in some good quality fuel system cleaner.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

If you dont mind doing the work, dropping the tank and cleaning it out is a great idea. Change the fuel filter while you are at it, because its inside the tank on 97+ XJs.

Clean the outside thoroughly, and use some solvent and gravel + nuts screws and bolts in the tank. Shake like hell all afternoon, and rinse it out thoroughly.
Then use some Methyl Ethyl Keytone (MEK) or Acetone to dry the tank out, and try and fill it with gas ASAP so it doesnt rust. Coating it with gas-tank sealer might be a good idea also.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:15 PM

Did you type that right? 7 years?! Holy cow...no sir haha..

And i guess i could just get some Royal Purple fuel system cleaner and pour it in the tank when i fill up...

Was also going to run some seafoam through it. You guys hear any horror stories with seafoam?
Old 02-28-2014, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Did you type that right? 7 years?! Holy cow...no sir haha.. And i guess i could just get some Royal Purple fuel system cleaner and pour it in the tank when i fill up... Was also going to run some seafoam through it. You guys hear any horror stories with seafoam?
I dumped some In the intake on my 94. Only noticeable difference was a better idle.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

[QUOTE=GarrettJ;2790126]Did you type that right? 7 years?! Holy cow...no sir haha..

Yes that is correct sir... Car I bought my son had a bad fuel pump and hadn't been moved or registered since 05, had half a tank in it. Was gonna get rid of it but the smell was to much, had a little over a quarter in the jeep so in it went. Did have to do a fuel filter about two months later GROSS.