Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

possible brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default possible brake problems

I have not had the chance to look at it yet but I might be experiencing possible brake problems. Sometimes the pedal will be stuff feeling, normal for my xj and all the sudden I can push on them coming up to a stop sign the will be spongy. Don't make since to me cause if they were leaking it would be spongy all the time right? I'm not visibly loosing fluid. This is my dd so I need some possibilities thanks for all the help
Old 01-07-2013, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

When is the last time you replaced/flushed your brake fluid? What color is the fluid?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 PM

Brownish in color. Has never been done since I've had it. Only 6 months now
Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

The fluid should be replaced to start with. Does your jeep have ABS?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

Another place to check the rear wheel cylinders. They can weep a bit causing issues too.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:46 PM

No abs thank lord. How do you flush the system I've never done brake flush b4
Old 01-07-2013, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by mdnov
Another place to check the rear wheel cylinders. They can weep a bit causing issues too.
Ok this weekend il have time. I been working 5 days and it's hard to get anything done
Old 01-07-2013, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Start at your passenger rear wheel cylinder, bleed it until the fluid is clear and no bubbles. Close the bleeder. Then go to the driver side rear wheel cylinder and do the same until the fluid is clear and no bubbles. Close the bleeder. Go to front passenger side and do the same until the fluid is clear and no bubbles. Close the bleeder. Finally front drivers side do the same until the fluid is clear and no bubbles. Close the bleeder. Or...... Take it to a mechanic you trust and have them do it.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 PM

Default similar problem here

I am having a similar situation on my 93 grand cherokee its a ZJ Laredo model.. and the brakes uaually work great, but if im coming down a hill or a sudden stop sometimes the pedal will go all the way down to the floor and pretty much lock the brakes up to where its whiplash to the neck. Other times it dosen't do it at all.. It is not leaking anywhere on the cylinders and the fluid looks clean. Any ideas of what this could be? Maybe an ABS problem?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:58 PM
CF Veteran

This is a good place to start. Check your flexible rubber hoses as well for cracks. These rubber hoses are the ones on the front connected to the calipers. Other possibilities are failing master cylinder or brake booster.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by warthrone
I am having a similar situation on my 93 grand cherokee its a ZJ Laredo model.. and the brakes uaually work great, but if im coming down a hill or a sudden stop sometimes the pedal will go all the way down to the floor and pretty much lock the brakes up to where its whiplash to the neck. Other times it dosen't do it at all.. It is not leaking anywhere on the cylinders and the fluid looks clean. Any ideas of what this could be? Maybe an ABS problem?
I am not sure if this brake bleeding procedure is the same for ABS vehicles.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:06 PM

The strange thing with my jeep is it is not going through any fluid and all the lines look fine.. i checked that earlier today. It only does it when theres serious pressure applied or going down a steep hill.. it's weird.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by warthrone
The strange thing with my jeep is it is not going through any fluid and all the lines look fine.. i checked that earlier today. It only does it when theres serious pressure applied or going down a steep hill.. it's weird.
What color is your fluid? It sounds like it might be your brake booster or master cylinder.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:15 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Brakelines can fail to be " tight " like a new vehicle, because of a condition referred to as, "volumetric expansion."
It happens with rubber lines after time. Especially where I live in the desert. Dryness and heat accellerate these problems with stock rubber lines. I went stainless steel braided on my GMC work truck, and never had a problem after. Hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sandfish88
Brakelines can fail to be " tight " like a new vehicle, because of a condition referred to as, "volumetric expansion."
It happens with rubber lines after time. Especially where I live in the desert. Dryness and heat accellerate these problems with stock rubber lines. I went stainless steel braided on my GMC work truck, and never had a problem after. Hope this helps.
Great suggestion. Severe heat and or cold can create havoc with the rubber lines.

Quick Reply: possible brake problems