Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Possible Bent Front Axle

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default Possible Bent Front Axle

First of all I got a decent deal on this jeep But.. OK Big But

Just took it to have an alignment twice, The first place told me they couldn't align the Caster, But the Guy sounded lazy about wanting to adjust the Ball joints,
So I took it down the street to see if some one could do it and they just called and said my axle housing is bent by 2 degrees, is there a way I can tell.. I just got the jeep and it has had some damage where the front axle was pushed into the oil pan, But I also seen where they put a two inch lift using rear blocks and coil load levelers, (yes the cheap twist in type) and tried running 31/10.5/15
I have decide to keep the tires and rims on it and I installed a recon 3.5 and then took it for alignemet

So it there a way I can tell if the housing is bent and is there anyway to straighten it that anyone knows or is it scrap and just need another one
Old 07-11-2009, 10:58 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 Straight Six

Are you questioning whether or not what they said is true? It's probably true if there was definitive damage to the unit at some point.

Also-why not just pull an axle out of a junkyard vehicle and install that instead? It's not exactly an oil change, but these folks here seem like knowledgeable and friendly people that could help you along with it. Or at least they better be, because I'm gonna start asking a whole lot more questions!

-Nate
Old 07-11-2009, 11:01 AM

the only way i can think of to check to see if its bent is, take a ruler, or some kinda sturdy straight edge, and run it down all sides of the axle tube....if its bent, there should be a spot where its the ruler isnt flush with the tube

and as far as straightening it out goes, i have a feeling it would be more trouble then its worth..i would guess you would have to heat up the whole area of the tube where its bent to straighten it....but something that big and hollow, i dont know, but i have a feeling it would prove to be more of a pain in the butt then its worth

by they way, these idea, are just brain storming idea...ive never had to deal with that type of problem, but it just makes sence to me to use a sturdy straight edge to find out if its bent
Old 07-12-2009, 04:09 PM

Default Update

Well I finally took it to Firestone and they updated me that some times from heavy use the axle tube can bend a little and that I have to install adjustable Ball joints, So I have ordered them and will be installing them next weekend and taking it for alignment next week also< Ill see what happens when they align it, Thanks for the replies
Old 07-12-2009, 04:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Some of the XJs came from the factory that way. Mine is. It is 1.5 degrees negative castor on the passenger side. they did this so that they would pull to the right so that if you fall asleep that it will go to the ditch instead of traffic. This is actually common.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:02 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H/O I6

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
Some of the XJs came from the factory that way. Mine is. It is 1.5 degrees negative castor on the passenger side. they did this so that they would pull to the right so that if you fall asleep that it will go to the ditch instead of traffic. This is actually common.
i did not know that...im going to have to make a note of it actually..

as for the adjustable ball joints, see how much they will be with labor and everything else. because if its gonna be expensive, you might want to think about pulling another one from the junkyard... just my two cents
Old 07-12-2009, 07:44 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 HO

I had this very same thing happen when I bought my 99 xj classis. I went and bought xj axle for the Junkyard then when i got it installed it was out on one side by 2 degrees on the driver side so i installed a new lower ball joint and now it is just right. It rides so much better now and my bfg mudterrains dont get cupped near as bad. If you need any help just shoot me a message.

Last edited by 4.0cherokee; 07-12-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:51 PM

Thanks 4.0
Actually I have a tool box about the same length as my Cherokee, I ordered the adjustable ball joints last weekend but had to go to work up north for the week so Im back down state now and will be installing them Early Saturday Morning then taking it to Firestone since there open till 7 pm.. Me and this Jeep have been very intimate for about a month Now since the people that I bought it from thought they could put load levelers in the fron coils and 2 inch blocks in the rear and have also put 31x10.5 on a 15x8 rim and thought they could go four wheeling, did i forget to mention that they also smashed the front axle into the oil pan..lol