Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

POP goes the fuse

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default POP goes the fuse

Alright,
Im new to this site. I own a 1996 jeep cherokee, Automatic, Straight 6, Pretty stock.
The other day I was driving and the engine died. I check the fuses and find that one is blown. I replace the fuse. It starts and runs for about 10 minutes. Fuse blows, engine dies. Replace it and it runs for another short while. I replace the fuse a third time and it popped as soon as i turn the ignition to on.
I am trying to find what this fuse powers so that i can trace the connection and find a possible short. I cant find what this fuse is to anywhere online. I was able to find this image here on this forum. I labeled exactly which fuse is popping with the red circle. I think the photot says 20A, but its a 30A fuse.
Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails POP goes the fuse-jeep-fuse-box.jpg  

Last edited by phillipbenson; 06-22-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

welcome to the forum, sir....its a great place to learn, share, get help....just remember that many problems have been encountered numerous times, & its better to do a good search to A) kno what u'r talking about B) provide the most information so others can properly diagnose/help & C) probably solve ur problem before re-posting an already covered subject

anywho, its a positive to ground short in some circuit

dont kno if u tried posting a pic, but i see nothing....could be ignition coil or starter solenoid causing the short....need more info

Last edited by xj^REMY; 06-22-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: i see the pic now
Old 06-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

My money would be on replacing both that fuse, along with the Automatic Shut down relay. Then, before you blow both again, follow the wiring harness on the right side of the motor (as your looking at it), and look for the harness that goes back and downward, wrapping almost under the motor.

Part of the harness goes to the TPS sensor. But it can come loose, and start flapping around from wind speed. It's been known to lean against the exhaust manifold, which quickly melts through the wire loom and tape, through the wire itself, thus grounding that part of the harness to the exhaust manifold. Just my $0.02.

I'd start there and move forward. Definitely something ground related regardless. Good luck, let us know!
Old 06-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Seasoned Member

here ya go...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost....1&postcount=10

location of the fuse is #26 ("f" stands for fuse)....i'd go by the one on the link, as the one u posted skips location #18....doesnt correspond to a fuse, but the location is still there, & should be counted as such

F26 - power amplifier
Old 06-22-2011, 12:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Check the wiring at the upstream O2 sensor and see if it is shorted on the exhaust manifold.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by xj^REMY
here ya go...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost....1&postcount=10

location of the fuse is #26 ("f" stands for fuse)....i'd go by the one on the link, as the one u posted skips location #18....doesnt correspond to a fuse, but the location is still there, & should be counted as such

F26 - power amplifier

I dont know if that is the correct fuse diagram for the 96 jeep cherokee. The diagram shows fuse #26 as a 20 amp fuse. The layout is identical to the fuse box in my jeep, but my fuse box calls for a 30 amp fuse. Also, would a shorted fuse to a power amplifier really cause the engine to stop running?
Old 06-22-2011, 01:10 PM

Just so everyone knows where I'm pulling that power amplifier info.
Attached Thumbnails POP goes the fuse-pdcoc8.jpg  
Old 06-22-2011, 01:20 PM

This is a photo I just took of my fuse box.
Attached Thumbnails POP goes the fuse-photo.jpg  
Old 06-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by phillipbenson
I dont know if that is the correct fuse diagram for the 96 jeep cherokee. The diagram shows fuse #26 as a 20 amp fuse. The layout is identical to the fuse box in my jeep, but my fuse box calls for a 30 amp fuse. Also, would a shorted fuse to a power amplifier really cause the engine to stop running?
it might not be specifically for ur 96....the moniker, of the OP of that diagram on NAXJA, looks like he owns a 92....regardless, they used the same PDC & fuse locations....what might be different is amperage requirements....i have a 98, so mine is different, & im not sure what the "power amplifier" is....anybody kno? is this a stereo amp??.....phillip, do u have a factory amp? & even if it is a stereo amp fuse, dont think it would imobilize the engine

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Check the wiring at the upstream O2 sensor and see if it is shorted on the exhaust manifold.
X2....i read a lot regarding this
Old 06-22-2011, 01:49 PM

No stereo amplifier.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Seasoned Member

AHA! THIS one looks more like urs....

is actually posted on this forum, about 4 months ago....that shows location #20 as 30A....now just need fuse ID
Old 06-22-2011, 02:41 PM

Yes! Thats the one. Wheres the fuse ID?! Hah. i just took the fuse panel off so I an see the color of the wire thinking I may be able to track it by color. Not happening. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Seasoned Member

cant find an ID, apparently pretty hard to come by...u dont have the owners manual??

best i found is a wiring schematic from the same thread....

thank freedgr (which im sure u'll come across him eventually)...he posted these in that thread

in the schematic, the box labeled PDC, there's 2 fuses....the one on the left is the 30A....it feeds the Auto Shutdown Relay (like busted knuckle said to change)....from there wiring goes to/from the PDC (on the right side of the engine).....go with what busted knuckle & bustedback said.....there is a short of some sort....change the fuse, relay, & before powering anything check the wiring of the O2 sensor & PDC to ASD relay

are u using a multimeter/ammeter?
Old 06-22-2011, 03:55 PM

Okay, the newest revelation. I ****ed with the fuse box to see if I could follow the line. I did find that it ran to the automatic shut down relay, as your diagram shows. I was also able to find some burnt wire casing on the right side of the engine. I pulled this wiring away from the engine/anything that may ground it, threw in a new 30A fuse, and decided to fire it up. The engine started and I was able to drive around the block a couple times with no problem. I'm hesitant to drive long distance because I know the problem is not fixed. In order to call the problem "solved" what do I have to do? Wrap the exposed wire with electrical tape and secure it down away from the exhaust manifold or anything else that may burn it again? What else?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

you can do that or get a new pc of wire and use butt connectors to splice in a new pc in that area and secure out of the way. if its just the plastic on the wire that melted and all the strands of wire are intact tapind would be sufficent

Quick Reply: POP goes the fuse