Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

PO used "Stop Leak" - any concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default PO used "Stop Leak" - any concerns?

I recently found that the previous owner kept records of all oil changes in the manual. Most of the oil changes in the past couple years mention that he added "stop leak" - not sure which product. The jeep does leak a lot of oil and I am about to start replacing gaskets, starting with the valve cover gasket and working my way down. Also not sure if relevant, but I switched to using Rotella T6 5W-40 as soon as I bought the jeep.

Is there anything I should be worried about with regards to the "stop leak"? Is there a cleaner product I should use before I change the gaskets in case the stop leak has gummed things up?
Old 04-11-2016, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Stop Leak is used in the radiator to stop small water leaks in the cooling system, not used in the oil at all. In fact GM installed a sealer at the factory in all their new cars for many years, others may have done so IDK.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Stop Leak is used in the radiator to stop small water leaks in the cooling system, not used in the oil at all. In fact GM installed a sealer at the factory in all their new cars for many years, others may have done so IDK.
not 100% true they have some stop leaks at the auto parts store for other things like trans I know for sure. Supposed to stop slipping too.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:55 AM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by rwhealey
I recently found that the previous owner kept records of all oil changes in the manual. Most of the oil changes in the past couple years mention that he added "stop leak" - not sure which product. The jeep does leak a lot of oil and I am about to start replacing gaskets, starting with the valve cover gasket and working my way down. Also not sure if relevant, but I switched to using Rotella T6 5W-40 as soon as I bought the jeep.

Is there anything I should be worried about with regards to the "stop leak"? Is there a cleaner product I should use before I change the gaskets in case the stop leak has gummed things up?
The T6 5w40 will clean up the motor great. Good choice on oil, that's what I run in both the Jeeps (95and2000), along with wix filter. As for the stop leak I wouldn't worry to much about it. After one or tow oil changes the motor should be nice and clean do to the T6 and all its detergents it has.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Stop Leak is used in the radiator to stop small water leaks in the cooling system, not used in the oil at all.
Fred, there are dozens of stop leak products on the market for auto engines, and for transmissions, and for power steering, differentials, you name it. Walk into any parts store and you'll find probably a half dozen different brands on the shelf, or more.

Whether any of them are any good or not is another discussion.

Here is one that I have used and it works very well.

rwhealey, I wouldn't worry about it. Your regular oil changes will clean out anything that needs to be cleaned out.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:33 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

I'd be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.

Everybody, who doesn't own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking.

Many mechanics, friends, people on Jeep forums who can’t see your Jeep from where they’re at, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it?

A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons.

First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "$hit flows downhill".

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.

Revised 02-26-2013
Old 04-12-2016, 12:58 AM
CF Veteran

As long as you have good oil pressure and no knocking or odd sounds from the engine it should be fine.Find all your oil leaks fix them and just do a normal oil change on it.I will give you a heads up the valve cover is a good leak point if its leaking take it off and make sure its mating surface is prefectly flat.Some people will over tighten them which warps the edge causing leaks.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:35 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
not 100% true they have some stop leaks at the auto parts store for other things like trans I know for sure. Supposed to stop slipping too.

Read the OP's post he said " Engine OIL" changes not other things.

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Fred, there are dozens of stop leak products on the market for auto engines, and for transmissions, and for power steering, differentials, you name it. Walk into any parts store and you'll find probably a half dozen different brands on the shelf, or more.

Whether any of them are any good or not is another discussion.

Here is one that I have used and it works very well.

rwhealey, I wouldn't worry about it. Your regular oil changes will clean out anything that needs to be cleaned out.

Again he said "OIL" and no one makes a stop leak for engine oil, it would cause more problems than it ever could help before it blocked the oil galleys. You are correct on one thing most are a bunch of "Snake Oil" for sure that are sold for other things.

Leaks need to be repaired and none are that hard on the 4.0.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:42 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...+leak&tbm=shop
Old 04-12-2016, 07:48 AM

Year: 1990

Read the OP's post he said " Engine OIL" changes not other things.

Again he said "OIL" and no one makes a stop leak for engine oil, it would cause more problems than it ever could help before it blocked the oil galleys. You are correct on one thing most are a bunch of "Snake Oil" for sure that are sold for other things.

Leaks need to be repaired and none are that hard on the 4.0.
Stop arguing this, there are many engine oil stop leaks. They're nothing like radiator stop leak, most of them supposedly soften/swell seals and gaskets to make them work again. I've seen them work and not work in different cases.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Read the OP's post he said " Engine OIL" changes not other things. Again he said "OIL" and no one makes a stop leak for engine oil, it would cause more problems than it ever could help before it blocked the oil galleys. You are correct on one thing most are a bunch of "Snake Oil" for sure that are sold for other things. Leaks need to be repaired and none are that hard on the 4.0.
I wasn't sure they made an engine oil stop leak, but I knew for sure you were wrong when you said they only make stop leak for radiators which is why I said it how I did. I was correcting misinformation the best I could.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:23 PM
CF Veteran

There's pigheaded, and then there's
Old 04-12-2016, 09:44 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Old 04-13-2016, 04:00 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by rwhealey

I have news for you... Jeep uses Mopar coolant stop leak on all new vehicles before it leaves the factory.

My 2013 JKUR10A and 2016 Red Rock has stop leak in the resevior...

You can buy this at the parts department...

Attached Thumbnails PO used "Stop Leak" - any concerns?-image.jpeg  

Last edited by M998; 04-13-2016 at 04:04 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:22 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Dumajones

Hmmmmmm. That looks suspiciously like "stop leak products on the market for auto engines, and for transmissions, and for power steering". They even got them in the right order!

I wonder who could have mentioned those????

Quick Reply: PO used "Stop Leak" - any concerns?