Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

please help... sooo stumped

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Angry please help... sooo stumped

going to change injectors next, i did it the long hard way i knew i had a fuel delivery problem so i changed pump, filter, regulator.... still doing same issue backfiring threw airbox and exhaust, wont start, checked timing, and plugs thousand times over, exhaust is brand new w/ no leaks.... so i changed MAP,CTS's , TPS, CPS, plugs rotor, wires, checked all vacum for leaks everything looks good, checked all ground wiring. decided to put spar injectors i got off a 96 intake.... my jeep is a 95.... do injectors have to match computer year ? because it seemed to run lil diffrent "better?" ..... but still no solid start..... thinking about buying new injectors before i decide its a ECU.... any thoughts? any at all? thinking about changing manifold gasket... think i got something going on there....also going to change injector o-rings before i actually buy new injectors if i need them... im soo F***** stumped dont know what to do next
thanks
Old 06-11-2011, 05:19 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

How's your fuel pressure? What is your compression? Did you cross any spark plug wires the thousands of times you checked your timing? What made you think it was fuel related anyways? Was your fuel pressure low? What else did you take off the 96 and put on your 95? I believe 95-96 was a transition year from obd-1 to obd- 2 so some things might not crossover well.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

I think you should have spent more time checking things and less time and money throwing parts at it. Check fuel pressure if in spec, check the crank and dist pickup signal. For Gods sake, stop throwing parts at it.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:19 PM

Angry

yeah fuel pressure was *****, pump was bad replaced it with new one and did filter at same time. did not fix my issue, i assumed it was fuel delivery problem because it just falls on its face when you give it the gas. fuel pressure is correct 31psi it when i disconnect fuel regulator it bumps up 10 but has constant pressure throughout throttle range, but continued to back fire and fall on its face when i put peddle to the floor, then one day drove it back to my house and then 2 weeks later its still sitting there, it just back fires and sputters like theres no gas going to it, i disconnected o2 sensor to it would run rich, but still seems like its not where it should be. also i can only get it to turn over and idle when i disconnect Coolant temp sensor thats why i replaced that part, and it did nothing, when i do that it idles very high at about 1500 rpm and does not drop back down. well untill it just bogs out and dies about 30 seconds later. thanks for help does this help at all ? f.y.i when i replaced engine, i replaced cap and rotor because it was bad, thats why i replaced it along with ignition coil. compression test came back fine did that before i swap motor for obvious reasons, no did not swap any cables have had couple over people look over my work to make sure so i was not seeing it cross eyed. obd1- to obd 2? the entire intake set up was diffrent, that's why i kept my orginal intake setup on it, everything is related to the 1995 ECU i.e. map sensor i went over and check all the wiring today to make sure i did not have a split wire or short anywhere but did not find anything, i also for ****s and giggles took fuel injectors off the 96 intake and put them on my jeep to see if it would make any diffrence, and it seemed to idle on the rich side when i got it to idle, so i checked part numbers for the diffrence of fuel injectors for the year 95 and 96 and they are diffrent injectors, going to put old ones back in with new O-rings try to take a step back before i go any further.

Last edited by cherokeeadam95; 06-11-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:20 PM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Willys55
I think you should have spent more time checking things and less time and money throwing parts at it. Check fuel pressure if in spec, check the crank and dist pickup signal. For Gods sake, stop throwing parts at it.

+1 quit throwing parts at it.

If its backfiring through the airbox, you have a timing issue or a valve issue. Either way, K.I.S.S. principle.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid
Old 06-11-2011, 11:12 PM

should i try to advance the timing? the timing was fine tho when it was runing last at 0..... head if you advance it it sometime works......? and yes thank you i know what KISS stands for haha just frustrated because i need this to be my DD thats daily driver not designated driver haha
Old 06-11-2011, 11:45 PM

When I first installed my new motor it behaved similar in fashion to what you have described. I did not press it to start but as I was cranking it up for the fist time I could hear little poofs through the intake and exhaust. After checking every thing over I found I was a tooth or two off when I installed the distributor, I really had thought I nailed it the first time but I didnot. I had a old distributor cap cut it open and just indexed the distributor, that way I knew for sure I had nailed it at tdc on the compression stoke. The computer can usually take care of the rest. Do more testing than replacing it's, cheaper and more productive. Also remember, new parts are not always in working condition just because they are shiny and just came out of a perfect looking box. Test away with multimeter on the new sensors and a vacuum guage to give you a better picture of what your valves are doing,if you can get a decent idle.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:12 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Read the thread 94 Cherokee starting/timing issue. It's a few days back. It should answer your question.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:55 AM

^ slick761 is correct that post is very informative. My rotor ended up right at about 6:00 right on the edge of the square shoulder on thin edge that comes off the distributer well past the #1 post. The distributor seems to be offset inside to out.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:59 AM

Year: 2001

These guys are on the right track. A tooth off on the dist. can wreak havoc and give ya planty of headaches.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:54 PM

Angry

is the distributor preset tho? how can it be messed up? it was running and drove it about few hundred miles, never changed it then parked it one day and still nothing? if it was off, it wouldn't have drove at all right? also i heard if i changed the engine to the 96 and i have my 95 fly wheel in it still that could be the problem.. what do you guys think?
Old 06-12-2011, 04:59 PM

odb change like fly wheel not matching up? are they any diffrent between the two years 95 and 96?
Old 06-12-2011, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

same part number from 91 to 2001 renix is different http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product...umber=52117761
Old 06-12-2011, 05:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

have you double checked that dist is not a tooth off when at tdc compression stroke and noticed you have never checked for codes
Old 06-12-2011, 07:39 PM

You said you changed the engine in one of your posts. You would have had to pull the distributor from your old motor and put it in the new donor motor. I'm not sure a 96 distributor will work with a 95 system.

Quick Reply: please help... sooo stumped