Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default PLEASE HELP!!

When Im driveing its running fine when I get to a stop sign it dies immediately!! Plugs are new cap and rotor are about 1yr1/2 old new wires I also checked for vaccum leaks and noticed the hose to my canister was off so I put back on with no luck still Does anybody have suggestions I'm thinking of pulling off the cap and seeing if their is any corrosion PLEASE HELp I got work in the morning
Old 02-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999 sport
Engine: 4.0 6I

hows fuel pressure when idling
Old 02-05-2012, 06:36 PM

Yea I just checked the fuel pressure on the rail its fine plenty of fuel!
Old 02-05-2012, 07:12 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

When is the last time you cleaned your throttle body and IAC?
Old 02-05-2012, 07:23 PM

Probably about a year ago! What's IAC stand for? Also I have put all new o rings and have cleaned my fuel injectors! Could me haveing a K&N cause more build up in the ThrottleBody?
Old 02-05-2012, 07:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

Originally Posted by rugerwallace
Probably about a year ago! What's IAC stand for? Also I have put all new o rings and have cleaned my fuel injectors! Could me haveing a K&N cause more build up in the ThrottleBody?
Idle Air Control, if you remove it do not move the pintle or you will be buying a new one
Old 02-05-2012, 07:28 PM

Idle Air Controller located in the TB right next to the Throttle Position Sensor aka TPS. It's not our K&N.

Ever tested/adjusted your TPS?

RENIX TPS ADJUSTMENT
Before attempting to adjust your TPS be sure the throttle body has been recently cleaned.
It's especially important that the edges of the throttle butterfly are free of any carbon build-up.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Using the positive (red) lead of your ohmmeter, probe the B terminal of the flat 3 wire connector
of the TPS . The letters are embossed on the connector itself.
Touch the black lead of your meter to the negative battery post.
If you see more than 1 ohm of resistance some modifications to the sensor ground harness will be
necessary. The harness repair must be performed before proceeding.
I can provide an instruction sheet for that if needed.
MANUAL TRANSMISSION:
RENIX manual transmission equipped XJs have a three-wire TPS mounted on the throttle body.
This manual transmission vehicle TPS provides data input to the ECU. The manual transmission
TPS has three wires in the connector and they're clearly embossed with the letters A,B, and C.
Wire "A" is positive.
Wire "B" is ground.
Key ON, measure voltage from "A" positive to "B" ground by back-probing the connectors..
Note the voltage reading--this is your REFERENCE voltage.
Key ON, back-probe the connector at wires "B" and "C". Measure the voltage. This is your
OUTPUT voltage.
Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be seventeen percent of your REFERENCE voltage. For
example: 4.82 volts X .17=.82 volts. Adjust the TPS until you have achieved this percentage. If
you can't achieve the correct output voltage replace the TPS and start over.
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:
RENIX automatic transmission equipped XJs have a TPS with two connectors. There is a flat three-
wire connector, same as the manual transmission vehicles have, and it is tested the same as the
manual transmission equipped vehicles--FOR ENGINE MANAGEMENT RELATED ISSUES.
However, the automatic TPS also has a square four-wire connector clearly embossed with the letters
A,B,C, and D. It only uses three wires and provides information to the Transmission Control Module.
Key ON, measure voltage between "A" positive and "D" ground. Note the voltage. This is your
REFERENCE voltage.
Back-probe the connector at wires "B" and "D". Measure the voltage. This is your OUTPUT
voltage. Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be eighty-three percent of your REFERENCE voltage.
For example 4.8 volts X .83=3.98 volts. Adjust the TPS until you have achieved this percentage.
If you can't, replace the TPS and start over.
So, if you have an automatic equipped XJ your TPS has two sides--one side feeds the ECU, and
the other side feeds the TCU. If you have TRANSMISSION issues check the four-wire
connector side of the TPS. If you have ENGINE issues check the three-wire connector side of
the TPS.
For those with a MANUAL TRANSMISSION--the TPS for the manual transmission XJs is
stupid expensive. You can substitute the automatic transmission TPS which is reasonably priced.
Revised 11-28-2011
Old 02-05-2012, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the info I'm hoping its not the TPS that sounds like it could be tricky! I'm running it right now it idles fine but when I get the RPMs up it hesitates and the dies! I'm out of town right now for the super bowl so I can't acess any tools I'm hopeing I get home without incident!
Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Yea sounds like a sensor on the TB. Id start there.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:17 PM

Ok I've cleaned the Throttle Body and the IAC and I took the the TBS off and now its running realy HIGH RPMs do I just adjust untill it sound like its idling good I knew I shouldn't have took that off! Rookie move I should have fired it up first before pulling the TBS damn! Now how to I get to idle right?
Old 02-06-2012, 05:35 AM

Adjust it like this. You'll need a voltmeter.

RENIX TPS ADJUSTMENT
Before attempting to adjust your TPS be sure the throttle body has been recently cleaned.
It's especially important that the edges of the throttle butterfly are free of any carbon build-up.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Using the positive (red) lead of your ohmmeter, probe the B terminal of the flat 3 wire connector
of the TPS . The letters are embossed on the connector itself.
Touch the black lead of your meter to the negative battery post.
If you see more than 1 ohm of resistance some modifications to the sensor ground harness will be
necessary. The harness repair must be performed before proceeding.
I can provide an instruction sheet for that if needed.
MANUAL TRANSMISSION:
RENIX manual transmission equipped XJs have a three-wire TPS mounted on the throttle body.
This manual transmission vehicle TPS provides data input to the ECU. The manual transmission
TPS has three wires in the connector and they're clearly embossed with the letters A,B, and C.
Wire "A" is positive.
Wire "B" is ground.
Key ON, measure voltage from "A" positive to "B" ground by back-probing the connectors..
Note the voltage reading--this is your REFERENCE voltage.
Key ON, back-probe the connector at wires "B" and "C". Measure the voltage. This is your
OUTPUT voltage.
Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be seventeen percent of your REFERENCE voltage. For
example: 4.82 volts X .17=.82 volts. Adjust the TPS until you have achieved this percentage. If
you can't achieve the correct output voltage replace the TPS and start over.
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:
RENIX automatic transmission equipped XJs have a TPS with two connectors. There is a flat three-
wire connector, same as the manual transmission vehicles have, and it is tested the same as the
manual transmission equipped vehicles--FOR ENGINE MANAGEMENT RELATED ISSUES.
However, the automatic TPS also has a square four-wire connector clearly embossed with the letters
A,B,C, and D. It only uses three wires and provides information to the Transmission Control Module.
Key ON, measure voltage between "A" positive and "D" ground. Note the voltage. This is your
REFERENCE voltage.
Back-probe the connector at wires "B" and "D". Measure the voltage. This is your OUTPUT
voltage. Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be eighty-three percent of your REFERENCE voltage.
For example 4.8 volts X .83=3.98 volts. Adjust the TPS until you have achieved this percentage.
If you can't, replace the TPS and start over.
So, if you have an automatic equipped XJ your TPS has two sides--one side feeds the ECU, and
the other side feeds the TCU. If you have TRANSMISSION issues check the four-wire
connector side of the TPS. If you have ENGINE issues check the three-wire connector side of
the TPS.
For those with a MANUAL TRANSMISSION--the TPS for the manual transmission XJs is
stupid expensive. You can substitute the automatic transmission TPS which is reasonably priced.
Revised 11-28-2011
Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 PM

Default TPS Update

Well i would like to finish this post by thanking Cruiser for the great info! It was the TPS that was bad causing my Jeep to die at red lights You guys Rock. And the info to be able to calibrate the TPS was just great! I Love this site keep up the great work you guys! PS What a diffrence in performance
Old 02-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987

Glad to here you're up and running.

BTW This post hurt my ears with all the exlaimations.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by rugerwallace
Well i would like to finish this post by thanking Cruiser for the great info! It was the TPS that was bad causing my Jeep to die at red lights You guys Rock. And the info to be able to calibrate the TPS was just great! I Love this site keep up the great work you guys! PS What a diffrence in performance
Have you done the ground refreshing, ICU contact refreshing, C101 refreshing yet? Doing these simple tasks now will save you problems later.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:54 PM

Default ICU and C101

Hey Cruiser can you tell me what the ICU and C101 refreshing is? As far as my grounds are concerned I have changed the one that goes from my negative terminal on the battery to the side of the engine block is their any others that I should address. Right now I got my hood up and I am looking at this braided strand that comes from the firewall next to the map sensor and connects to the top of the block behind the valve cover what does this do? I was thinking of taking it off and cleaning it? Let me know you have been a great help.