Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Picture of exhaust hanger installed....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picture of exhaust hanger installed....

Does anyone have or could anyone show me a picture of the rear most exhaust hanger installed? It is a walker part #36377. I took my '96 wheeling today for the first time and broke that hanger back there. I got the new hanger but have no idea how it is supposed to install. I tried searching for pictures but found none. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:35 AM

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6cyl

mine just bolts into the nutstrip
Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Does this help?
Attached Thumbnails Picture of exhaust hanger installed....-009-3-.jpg   Picture of exhaust hanger installed....-006-5-.jpg  
Old 02-25-2012, 08:55 AM

kept the stock hanger from the old unit, and just welded it to the pipe. she's not going anywhere now
Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

djb383: Don't mean to highjack this post but I noticed your hanger bushings. Are they new? I've got rattles I'm slowly working out, replacing bushing, etc. I think all are factory. My leaf spring bushing look dry rotted. Do they slip in fairly easy or are they pressed in?
Old 02-25-2012, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the help...even for a noob. This is what I got with no instructions....
Attached Thumbnails Picture of exhaust hanger installed....-36377.jpg  
Old 02-25-2012, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by mtnance
djb383: Don't mean to highjack this post but I noticed your hanger bushings. Are they new? I've got rattles I'm slowly working out, replacing bushing, etc. I think all are factory. My leaf spring bushing look dry rotted. Do they slip in fairly easy or are they pressed in?
Don't know how old the hanger bushings are (original as far as I know), those pics were taken a week or two after we bought the XJ from the original owner. Still in great shape, currently still using the one after the muff. Now have side exit tail pipe.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:57 PM

The big plate you see is held up against the rear frame stubs with two very heavy-duty bolts; they will be extremely unpleasant to remove. I recommend either a big impact gun or a breaker bar with a big cheater on it. This is also holding an exhaust shield up. Should one or both of the big bolts break off, you'll have to fish the big hunk of steel out of the frame stub, so that you can remove the broken pieces of bolt and clean up the threads or re-tap. Hopefully that won't happen.

Wrap the rubber piece you have sort of into an "O" so that the holes overlap and you can slip them onto the studs that are welded into the plate. Then slip the small metal piece with two holes over the studs and secure them with the nuts.

Obviously you then bolt the big plate up to the frame and secure the pipe to the hanger with a U-bolt.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:57 PM

Thanks for all th help. Once I had it up in the air it was pretty self explanatory. I have a hitch with some pretty rusted bolts on it. So i just drilled two new holes and fished some bolts through the frame.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

This job was a complete pain in the butt. There was no way the two large bolts going into the frame that keep the heat shield and muffler hanger attached to the frame would have come loose unless I used air tools; and I don't own air tools. Neighbor saw me hammering on a cheater bar and asked if I wanted to use his air gun. We both worked on it for an hour trying back and fourth to tighten and loosen the 2 bolts which are first off all like 2.5 inches long for no real reason I could appreciate, and they were very dry and rusted and since they're up in the frame, good luck getting PB Blaster up there. They bolt into a long flat piece of threaded metal that is slid into the frame when there is no bumper on the car, it is the same plate with threads tapped into it that the tail hitch uses.

I was lucky enough that the local NAPA store had this hangar (Pep Boys did not) and it was easy enough to orient it and put together the rubber straps into a circle and tighten those bolts before putting the hanger up on the Jeep. Don't forget to also buy a 2-1/4 U bolt strap to attach the hanger to the tail pipe.

Will post a photo of the new one soon, rust ate through the bend of the original one right where it met the tail pipe

If I wasn't gung ho about having stock/original parts installed, I would have rather drilled a hole into the frame and attached a galvanized strap to hang the tail pipe but I have a feeling it would still rattle against the heat shield like what was happening when the hangar broke. Who ever designed the attachment points for this part was not a mechanic. I put anti sieze on the bolts, and white lithium up in the threads inside the frame since I will eventually want to install a tow hitch and I believe the same bolts need to be unscrewed during that install.

Thanks for listening to my rant,
Squelchtone