Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Major problem. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Major problem. Suggestions?

I have a 98 jeep cherokee sport with 250k miles. Relative was driving it and it overheated. Got it back saw that the head was cracked so replaced it. Water was still getting into oil so removed the head 2 times to make sure everything was ok. Couldnt see any problems. Cant see any holes or cracks in block either.
It still runs. But Im debating on where I should take it to a shop to have it diagnosed or just replace the motor? Also should I go with a short block or long block since i just replace the head? If so Is oreilly's a good place to get an engine or should i get a used? Also ac has a leak im guessing in the evap so I want to do heater core and evap at the same time.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Sell it and get something better.

Don't loan out the next one to anybody.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:46 PM

Id rather fix it. Its prob not worth enough to sell anyway. It has brand new all terrain tires also. Why wouldnt it be worth fixing?
Old 08-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you replaced the head did you check each surface to make sure they are flat and true? Are there any flaws in the mating surfaces? Was the head torqued properly? Was the engine losing coolant before it overheated? Just some thoughts.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by southsidecatac
When you replaced the head did you check each surface to make sure they are flat and true? Are there any flaws in the mating surfaces? Was the head torqued properly? Was the engine losing coolant before it overheated? Just some thoughts.
A family member swapped the heads.
So I assume the surfaces were ok.
Do new heads need resurfacing?
I didnt install the head so idk if they were torqued properly.
It wasnt losing coolant before though.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Walkertxranger
Id rather fix it. Its prob not worth enough to sell anyway. It has brand new all terrain tires also. Why wouldnt it be worth fixing?
You could get into a situation where you start throwing good money after bad. The bad money was spent on replacing the head which may or may not be causing your coolant loss. It could be the head it could be a bad head gasket or improper installation. It could be in the block assembly. You also mentioned the AC needing work. I see some big money in those items. The rig is probably not worth more than 2k in good running condition. You'll spend most of that if you get paid labor to fix it. You may want to evaluate how committed you are to investing all that money into a rig with 250k on the clock.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:35 PM
CF Veteran

You could get into a situation where you start throwing good money after bad. The bad money was spent on replacing the head which may or may not be causing your coolant loss. It could be the head it could be a bad head gasket or improper installation. It could be in the block assembly. You also mentioned the AC needing work. I see some big money in those items. The rig is probably not worth more than 2k in good running condition. You'll spend most of that if you get paid labor to fix it. You may want to evaluate how committed you are to investing all that money into a rig with 250k on the clock.
Yeah, that's an expanded version of what I meant above. Depending on your mechanical skills, or lack thereof, and engine can cost $3,000+ and the A/C fix can run over $1,000+. The whole console, dash, and steering column have to come out all the way to the firewall.

I'm sure I will get a lot of protests on that statement. That they themselves did it much cheaper with just a hammer and screwdriver, on the dirt, in their buddy's backyard, at night in a blizzard. But it doesn't sound like you're into your own wrenching.

Pull your new A/Ts, put some skins on it and sell it for what you can. Use those proceeds and your restoration money to buy something newer with less miles.

Last edited by Firestorm500; 08-01-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
Yeah, that's an expanded version of what I meant above. Depending on your mechanical skills, or lack thereof, and engine can cost $3,000+ and the A/C fix can run over $1,000+. The whole console, dash, and steering column have to come out all the way to the firewall.

I'm sure I will get a lot of protests on that statement. That they themselves did it much cheaper with just a hammer and screwdriver, on the dirt, in their buddy's backyard, at night in a blizzard. But it doesn't sound like you're into your own wrenching.

Pull your new A/Ts, put some skins on it and sell it for what you can. Use those proceeds and your restoration money to buy something newer with less miles.
I would be doing the engine swap myself. I also asked in op if i should go back with a long block but you guys seem to overlook that. I wasnt around the time it was done before so Idk about the quality of work. Ive watched videos of a guy doing the engine swap in a parking lot in about a day or 2. Also videos of the heater core change along with ac evap (which im almost positive that the evap is the problem with ac). Pulling the dash seems harder than the motor swap so yea. I have access to a big shop with any tools I need. I just would like suggestions on what brand longblock or shortblock or possibly junkyard motor with low miles. This would be funded by grant money also so I dont think I could spend that money at a dealer for a new car.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:50 PM

I asked in op if I should throw a long block or short block in it. So in that case it wouldnt have 250k on the clock. It wasnt losing coolant before the new head. I dont see how that was bad money because it was cracked. Head has been removed 2 times since and new head gaskets put on both times. It seems it was torqued correctly also. Idk about the block though. Im almost positive the ac problem is in the evaporator which would be changed with heater core. There wont be a labor charge if I fix it myself. Why would I spend 3-5k on a car with 180k+miles(A car for 5k isnt going to be very low mileage) and dont know the service history when I could fix this and know what I have?

Last edited by Walkertxranger; 08-01-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:07 PM
CF Veteran

You've got a multiple choice situation should you choose to accept your mission:

1. Your replacement head might be bad.

2. Your block might be cracked/bad.

3. Both of the above.

This is the reason nobody told you in your original post which route to go with. There is no hard and fast answer at this point. We're not overlooking your questions.

BTW, you DID use new head bolts didn't you?

Last edited by Firestorm500; 08-01-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:45 PM
Banned

It's your money so do as you please. Just know that any rig with 250k means that all the components have been spinning way beyond the normal life span of a vehicle. Which means..... You will not see an end to the spending after you dump motor and AC money into it. Ppl need to learn to let go of things. Take 4 grand out and shop for an XJ. I'll bet you can find one with half the miles and looking pretty damn good. Save those new tires for it. Hell, I bought my 98 classic with 125k on it 4 years ago for 2700. Look around. You may be surprised at how affordable another rig is.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

If you want to fix it just get a motor from the junkyard. Just look for the lowest mileage one that looks good. Make sure it will turn before you pull it.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:30 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I just rebuilt mine and decided to take the head in instead of getting a "new" head. After talking to the machine shop they said they work on plenty of new heads that need to be resurfaced and rework anyway. I did the work myself with a good friend and it wasn't too bad and definitely doable if you're handy and willing, which sounds like you are.