Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Passenger door no power

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 08:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Passenger door no power

Hi all,

2000 XJ with ~210k miles

I bought this XJ last year and it always had some electrical problems as far as doors. The power locks all work from both driver and passenger side. Only the driver's side front window works.

The pass. front window would barely go down, so I replaced it with a new Dorman unit. The window works ok now (still slow going up) but still only from the driver side switch, the passenger window switch does nothing. Also I've never had sound come from the front speakers. I installed new speakers and still no sound.

I've heard of broken wires in the door jamb area, but when I pulled the rubber boot off the harness still looks pretty neatly wrapped up. Any help would be great!
Old 11-07-2016, 09:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Sounds to me like you have a few problems. The passenger front window/lock switch is the lock control unit too. These are notorious for loose/cracked solder joints on the circuit board. Some take them apart and repair them, some buy new ones. I think it's worth it to try to fix em' if you have the tools/skill.

For the speakers, I'd keep looking at the harness, I'd bet they're damaged somewhere.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

They are wrapped yes. But they tear apart in there. You have to open up the wrap to see the wires.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I was expecting. I was hoping there was a fuse or relay that would fix all my problems.

For the window/lock switch is it just a matter of taking it apart and re-soldering some joints? Looks like a new one is ~$65 on Rockauto... at that price I'll just leave it broken haha

The broken wires I'll have to hunt for. There's not alot of slack in the harness in the jamb so I might take the whole door harness out and inspect it. It has an aftermarket head unit in it that I didn't install, I should probably check that out too for a hack wiring job.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by t.mcginley.jr
Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I was expecting. I was hoping there was a fuse or relay that would fix all my problems.

For the window/lock switch is it just a matter of taking it apart and re-soldering some joints? Looks like a new one is ~$65 on Rockauto... at that price I'll just leave it broken haha

The broken wires I'll have to hunt for. There's not alot of slack in the harness in the jamb so I might take the whole door harness out and inspect it. It has an aftermarket head unit in it that I didn't install, I should probably check that out too for a hack wiring job.
The passenger lock switch has to be taken apart, and I'm pretty sure they're riveted together, makes it a little more tricky.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:36 PM
Seasoned Member

So, I just pulled apart my passenger door/window switch because mine is giving me issues too. Mine was screwed together with 6 small screws. once the screws are removed, remove the button covers then separate the switch assembly. Half of the solder joints are toast in mine.

I hope this helps....
Old 11-08-2016, 08:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks superbee! That's exactly what I was looking for. Due to age/use I'm sure mine will look pretty similar on the inside.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by t.mcginley.jr
Thanks superbee! That's exactly what I was looking for. Due to age/use I'm sure mine will look pretty similar on the inside.
No problem!
It's super common for these solder joints to fail, in the drivers side too. My drivers side circuit board was riveted down so that the solder joints aren't accessible without grinding a bunch of rivets though.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Sooo I took my passenger side switch out and took it apart as you did above and all of my solder joints are intact. Like perfect, not even questionable. So maybe it's all a wiring problem along with the speakers not working..?
Old 11-16-2016, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

The window lockout switch is probably your issue, see this write up on how to bypass it. It works well, however you obviously lose the ability to lock the passenger window switches. Not an issue unless you have kids prone to taking a header out an open window.

Edit: Just realized the link I provided is a bit of a dangerous fix. Don't use a paperclip to jump the wires, use one of those nice plastic quick spice things instead.

Last edited by Fsher21; 11-16-2016 at 07:18 PM.