Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Parking Brake

i was ridin around the other week when i had pulled into the driveway and on instinct had pulled the parking brake lever and then the button popped off with the spring an all. i am wondering if i can just go to the junk yard and take one off another jeep and then replace it.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

I just replaced my e-brake but I replaced the entire handle,to replace that rod you have to take the handle apart. i just unhooked it underneath and pulled the handle through,there is a pin under the handle that is impossible to put the new handle on unless you do.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:18 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L I6

I replaced just the rod with the handle still in my '92. you just have to pull up on the handle hard enough to get the hook past the catch.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:21 PM

If the threads on the rod are still good you should be able to just screw it all back together. You have to put the spring and washers on the rod, then hold them back with a pair of pliers to get the nut on.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:14 PM

now how hard would it be to just replace the whole handle from another cherokee? i dont see why i shouldn't just do that. i can find one easily from that junk yard.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:21 PM

The only thing that might be hard about it is getting the nut off the j-bolt that pulls the cables from the under side. usually those nuts are rusted on and its hard to get a grip in the bolt. Thats why I just changed the rod.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:25 PM
CF Veteran

You can get the cables off pretty easy then there is two 10mm bolts that hold the brake handle in and a pin that holds the cable to the brake. It takes longer to get the console out of the way than replacing the handle.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:28 PM

so say i was able to remove the nut from the j-bolt and pull the lever right out, would there be any more restrictions on swapping the lever's.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:25 PM
CF Veteran

All I did was remove cables underneath and the 2 10mm that hold the handle in place,that is it,it will pull right through. i had to do this because of the pin that holds the cable to handle,you can get it off,but impossible to get it back on without removing the rod that holds the cables.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Banned

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (SJ)
Engine: 88151119953

Guys... do you know if it is feasable or easy to install a handbrake lever from another vehicle on the XJ? There is a lot of nice corvette levers on e-bay.

Mine lost the button as well...
Old 07-27-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997 & 1998

I had the same thing happen to my '97, button came off. The part that goes over the rod cracks. I replaced it with a complete JY assembly. Like was said, it took longer to remove the console and reattach it.

I'd be concerned with proper fit using one from another vehicle, especially a GM. They have a tendency to require special tools to do many repairs that Ford, Mopar or the foreign guys don't. I absolutely hate to work on GM vehicles. At the very least, the mounting holes doubtfully will line up, the cable attachments may be completely different, the clearance needed on the console may be different, and more. Better to stick with what fits and works properly.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Banned

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (SJ)
Engine: 88151119953

Originally Posted by wjnfirearms
I had the same thing happen to my '97, button came off. The part that goes over the rod cracks. I replaced it with a complete JY assembly. Like was said, it took longer to remove the console and reattach it.

I'd be concerned with proper fit using one from another vehicle, especially a GM. They have a tendency to require special tools to do many repairs that Ford, Mopar or the foreign guys don't. I absolutely hate to work on GM vehicles. At the very least, the mounting holes doubtfully will line up, the cable attachments may be completely different, the clearance needed on the console may be different, and more. Better to stick with what fits and works properly.
Thanks! You convinced me to stick to the original
Old 07-27-2011, 05:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

If your Jeep is lifted and sees mostly off road duty with a minimum of on road, I'd say remove the parking brake cables. No matter how much I adjusted mine it never worked right again after I lifted my Jeep.....all it did was limit my rear flex so I removed the cables and just left the handle.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:00 AM

I just managed to fix mine on my own without heading out to the junk yard. I should probably share it for the next guy that has the same problem.

First I removed the e brake lever in order to work with it easier. Taking it out of the car wasn't too difficult, the console might be but I'm unfortunate enough to not have a console to worry about. Be sure to keep all your parts in one place, you don't want to lose any pieces.

The rod in the lever can be taken out bu lifting the catch off the teeth and simply pulling it out. Now if you're lucky, the button that popped off will still have some threads left in it. If so, simply screw the button onto the rod, place the rod back down the lever, and be on your merry way. "But Bob," you say, "if I were lucky, I wouldn't be reading this walk through!" Right you are. Your threads have been stripped out by almost/more than twenty years of pressure by the spring behind the button (to the engineer who though that up: thanks a lot, ). For you, we will need to do some cutting...

With your hacksaw place, trim off the last 1/4 inch or so of the button. Maybe you have a file or something, I'm sure that will work too. Either way, you want to trim off about a quarter inch from the open end of the parking brake button. With that done, drop on your spring and tighten the button into place on the J rod (remember! the tail of the hook points down).

Lift the catch and drop your re-furbished J rod back into the lever. The hook should slide behind a hump on the back of the catch. I had to bend my hook a little to get things working, but it should catch and the spring should pull the hook forward, and the catch down on the teeth. Now press the button and the catch should be pushed up, lifting just enough to go over the teeth. Give it a few tests before you put it back in the vehicle, and take it for a joy ride. You might have to loosen your parking brake cables to make re-installation easier, but that's easy. Look under the Jeep, and you'll find the cable just above the drive shaft. Loosen the nut there, install the brake lever, and tighten it back up.

Hopefully this finds the next guy who can't afford a trip to the JY yet.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Good on ya for fixing it yourself, learning something along the way and especially for sharing what you learned.

Quick Reply: Parking Brake