Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

In park, still rolling

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default In park, still rolling

So I'm working on the truck still, and I got it off the stands and everything. I was going to keep working on something else, when I put the truck on the ground...and it tried to roll away.

It's on the ground, all four tires supporting the weight. It starts. I ran the engine, shifted into neutral, then back to park, and it still wants to roll away.

I don't have my brakes done yet. Connected but not bled. There are no shocks on the truck yet, either.

How do I begin diagnosing this?

I tried to search, but these are common terms. And the only threads I found where for trucks where the shifter wouldn't actually go to the 'park' position.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l

out of adjustment, broken linkage and or your parking pin is broken is what i can think of off the bat. try to look at the linkage and maybe manually shift it via the lever on the side of the transmission (going off a 4l60e and not aw4)
Old 05-05-2019, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

The parking pawl inside the transmission may be worn, or the linkage needs adjusted. Dont know.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...djustments.htm
Old 05-06-2019, 07:51 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Transfer case in neutral?
Old 05-06-2019, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997

Hah, good thinking
Old 05-06-2019, 10:04 AM

It was in neutral recently because I was doing the work with it, but I put it in 2hi last night. I didn't move it back and forth last night with the truck running like I did the transmission though. Would that maybe help? The battery was VERY dead when I started working again.

The shop told me that the U-joint clamp was snapped and on the ground under the truck from being taken off the tow truck. They replaced the U-Joint clamps, but is it possible they broke something when they unloaded it?

Are all the things you guys told me to check explained in the FSM? I have that at home, but I'm at work now and can't check.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:10 PM

It only rolls in 2h...it sits still the way it's supposed to in 4lo and 4hi, and it rolls in N like it's supposed to as well. Anybody know what that might mean?
Old 05-06-2019, 07:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

That's what happens when people think they have an "emergency brake", instead of a PARKING brake. It's not intended for emergencies. It's intended to keep your vehicle stationary when it's PARKED, as the transmission pin the locks the drive train in PARK is NOT intended to hold the entire load of the vehicle. On many vehicles, it's nothing more than a sheet metal tab that engages one of the gears. It's intended to SUPPLEMENT the PARKING brake, which IS intended to carry the brunt of keeping your vehicle from rolling away,

People who do not have the IGNORANT habit of ignoring their PARKING brake will likely never have a problem with the transmission pin or a runaway vehicle.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
That's what happens when people think they have an "emergency brake", instead of a PARKING brake. It's not intended for emergencies. It's intended to keep your vehicle stationary when it's PARKED, as the transmission pin the locks the drive train in PARK is NOT intended to hold the entire load of the vehicle. On many vehicles, it's nothing more than a sheet metal tab that engages one of the gears. It's intended to SUPPLEMENT the PARKING brake, which IS intended to carry the brunt of keeping your vehicle from rolling away,

People who do not have the IGNORANT habit of ignoring their PARKING brake will likely never have a problem with the transmission pin or a runaway vehicle.
So do you have any idea on how to fix it? It seems you're saying there's an issue on my transmission, when the fact that it works just fine in other 4x4 modes means I think the issue is with my NP 231 t-case...
Old 05-06-2019, 09:38 PM

So the front wheels don't turn in 4x4 modes, therefore keeping the truck stationary. When I lifted the back wheels in the air, they both spin, and independent of each other too. I'm worried that the transfer case has been ruined.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:59 PM

nevermind. I'm stupid. lol. they didn't reattach everything. They just had it suspended down there, and I didn't pay enough attention until just now.