Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

owner seeks advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default owner seeks advice

hey folks, first post - I have a 2000 2wd cherokee that's getting a little tired and has a couple of problems. I've owned it since new and its my 2nd one - 1st was a '87 2 door that served well for many years. My 2000 is a daily commuter and stock, body and interior are in good condition, the engine overheats in Texas weather, the front end feels loose and drifts a bit and the steering, while ok, doesn't inspire confidence. Oil pressure runs around 40 when cold but drops to around 12-15 when up to temperature. It has about 150K miles on it.

The missus ran it hot a couple of summers ago after a radiator leak. I'm handy around cars so replaced the radiator and hoses. Jeep still ran hot and was observed to blow a little condensation out of the tailpipe so I pulled the head, cleaned things up, checked for flatness and put in back on with a new head gasket. It still acts like it wants to get hot if the weather is warm but when its cool it seems ok, though its obviously got a small leak somewhere. I've read that the 00-01 heads are prone to crack and suspect maybe mine is but can't see anything obvious.

Anyway, to the chase. I'm fond of my Jeeps and am thinking about putting a little money into it instead of getting another one. I'm guessing the front end needs new bushings and maybe a new steering rack and new shocks. I guess I should probably do the wheel bearings while I'm at it and I'm prepared to do an engine swap for a remfg. engine to breath new life into my ride, and maybe also do a small lift on it too

The book value on a 2000 isn't all that great but I figure if I spend some money on it I'll still be in a better position than going out to buy something new. What are my options and what is the smart thing to do and how much should I budget for the job, considering my son and I can do all the labor, including pulling the old motor etc.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Last edited by backpacker; 02-16-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I would tend to agree, especially since you've owned it since new. See what's loose in the front end (one note - Cherokees don't have a rack & pinion, but a conventional steering gear), and if you do go with a reman engine, she'll be like a whole new Jeep!
Old 02-17-2013, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by belvedere
I would tend to agree, especially since you've owned it since new. See what's loose in the front end (one note - Cherokees don't have a rack & pinion, but a conventional steering gear), and if you do go with a reman engine, she'll be like a whole new Jeep!
Thanks for the encouragement belvedere. Any other advice/comments ?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

4x4 conversion