Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Overheating 2001 jeep Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Overheating 2001 jeep Cherokee

I have a 2001 jeep Cherokee 4.7 v8 that is overheating. I flushed the radiator changed the waterpump and replaced the thermostat and the housing. And still it overheats. It sort of seems like when it starts overheating it stays at the regular temp for a bit and then starts overheating and then while overheating it sometimes starts to drop a little but then goes back to rising. I have worked on this for days and replaced everything beside the radiator which when I flush waters comes thru and it looks clean BUT when I check the hoses the top hose is hot and the bottom is cold. There is no milky substance in the oil so my coolant isn't getting in the oil. PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRICIATED THIS IS MY ONLY VEHICLE AND NEED IT FOR WORK.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

The is actually the XJ Forum. There is a separate category for the Grands.

You need to make sure your engine cooling fan and clutch are working like they should. If they are OK, replace the radiator next. Coolant may not be moving through it under pressure. There could be some blocked or collapsed tubes somewhere.

Modern oils will not look milky unless they have gallons of coolant in them.

If it still overheats, you could have blown head gasket(s) and/or cracked head(s).

Last edited by Firestorm500; 07-04-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Overheating

I drained the oil and it doesn't seem to have any water in it because it would of floated to the top and u would of seen it, I let it sit for a while and none seemed to have floated to the top. The radiator is new, The radiator fan is electric and it kicks on but it's louder then usual and it seems like it working harder then i think it should. And when driving it heats up and then cools a little and then heats up more and then cools down a little like the vehicle is trying to cool itself but can't cool it enough to keep it from overheating. Is there any way to test the fan to see if it's not spinning fast enough? I looked at the local advanced auto and they have a fan for it for $80, but my jeep has the towing package so the fan is more robust for the towing package and they didn't have it n stock and I don't want to order one and it not be the problem ether as I already bought a waterpump, thermostat, thermostat housing. And flushed it several times.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

"I have worked on this for days and replaced everything beside the radiator"

was in your original post. Now you say you did replace the radiator. OK.

If there is coolant in the oil, it will be in suspension and not separate back out in a container.

You can get test strips and check for coolant contamination of the oil, and combustion gasses in the coolant at auto parts stores. You can also send in samples but that takes longer.

Remember a head gasket can be blown between cylinders and not put coolant into the oil. I'm not saying you actually do have a blown head gasket, but you might.

A true diagnostic needs to be done before throwing any more parts, labor, and money at it.