Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil leak, Just about tried everything...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0
Exclamation Oil leak, Just about tried everything...

Hey guys, ive been battling this oil leak for a while now. The past month my jeep has been going through oil like no other. I have puddles all over my driveway. If someone could point me in the right direction thatd be awesome.

Things ive replaced:
- Valve Cover Gasket
- Oil Cap
- Front PCV Valve (Or whatever you call it)
- Crank Shaft Seal(Cleaned the engine and found this one)
- Oil Filter Adapter Seal

Things i have but havn't replaced yet:
- New Rubber with metal inside oil pan gasket.

My oil leak is no where near as bad as it used to be, When i changed my Crank Shaft seal it slowed it down a lot.

The major places that oil is at:
- All over the engine, literally everwhere
- All over the bottom of my engine and all my suspension.
- Its even on my coils and shocks a little bit.
- On my clutch fan and my eletric fan
- All over the inside of my hood from where the fans are splashing it up i guess.
- Just put a new flywheel in and the rear main seal was perfectly fine, My uncle already changed it when he put a new tranny in it before i bought it from him.

Wherever it is leaking, when im going down the road it throws it all the way back to my exhuast and a little on my cross member(Yes i made sure it was oil and not tranny fluid, smells and looks like oil). Ill be sitting at red lights and i can see smoke pouring out the front of my hood/grill and it smells like straight up oil.

Im trying to fix my Jeep up to run pretty nice because i just got a new job and am wanting to fix it up mechanical wise. I just got through putting a new transfer case in (thought it was bad but ended up being the rear end so i got a 8.25 rear end from my buddy and just finished it last night)

Yalls help would be awesome, im stumped right now :/

Last edited by Mudboi222; 12-02-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:42 PM

Oil Filter Adapter O-rings are the most likely culprit.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

I'd recommend cleaning down your engine and trying to pinpoint the leak(s) after it's cleaned. It's going to be very difficult to find it unless it's clean. Take it do the car wash, degrease it and rinse it off.

Did you recently change your oil? Id check your oil filter, oil filter adaptor, and oil pressure sending unit to see if they are the sources of your leak.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

X2 on the oil filter adaptor.Wifes 94 leaked a few years before I finally found it.Real tight to get it off,think IT was 55 or 60 torx,took torx out of it's driver & turn with 1/2" 6 pt wrench. Replace all three O-rings,no more drips. HTH Wayne
Old 12-02-2013, 08:13 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Here's my standard response to oil leaks:

I'd be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.
Everybody, who doesn't own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking.
Many mechanics, friends, people on Jeep forums who can’t see your Jeep from where they’re at, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it?
A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons.
First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "$hit flows downhill".

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.
Revised 02-26-2013
Old 12-02-2013, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

x2 on cleaning your engine real good, that way you can see where it's leaking from. Last time I had an oil leak, I thought it was the oil pan gasket, so I replaced it. Turns out that it was the timing chain cover gasket.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:32 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

Oh yeah forgot to mension the oil filter adapter. I changed my motor mounts and had to replace that o ring bc i had to take that adapter off. & Actually i just went out and looked earlier at work and noticed thats the only spot thats fairly dry lol. IVe cleaned my engine 3-4 times. Thats how i found the crank shaft seal leak. I just cleaned it again last week looking for this leak and by time i looked again the whole motor was covered. I was typing fast on my thread sorry i forgot to include. & AMEN to that cruiser, RMS bandwagaon haha, aint that the truth. But alrighty man ill look into it some more and keep you updated. Thanks again.

PS: One thing i have noticed is it seems to be really wet at the front area of the motor around the oil pan. But if that was the case how is it all over the top of my engine and everything around it..

Last edited by Mudboi222; 12-02-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"But if that was the case how is it all over the top of my engine and everything around it.."

The fan.