Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Jeep Cherokee XJ Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Oil in Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Default Oil in Air Filter

So i buy this 92 cherokee laredo today 108k on it. And i take drive it home and go to put a new air filter in it. And it soaked in oil! and so im like what? And i look in the intake and its all full of oil so i pull the piece off and look down at the throttle body and thats caked in oil!? Does anyone know what this means? Any input would be appreciated thanks
Old 05-27-2010, 03:09 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 liter

called blow by.. common on xj.. how are your ccv hoses?
Old 05-27-2010, 06:58 AM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0

Possible you need to pull the valve cover and clean. They have baffles that can get clogged up, this will cause oil in the airbox.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by chronicnate
So i buy this 92 cherokee laredo today 108k on it. And i take drive it home and go to put a new air filter in it. And it soaked in oil! and so im like what? And i look in the intake and its all full of oil so i pull the piece off and look down at the throttle body and thats caked in oil!? Does anyone know what this means? Any input would be appreciated thanks
I had a couple of vaccum issues. The rear ccv hose was leaking and another vacc line was just wide open ( just plugged it for now)... The hose coming from the front of my valve cover doesnt blow into my airbox anymore, it sucks air in... I dont know if this is exactly how it is suppose to work but I like that it is taking air into the engine and not oily air out to my air box....
Old 05-27-2010, 09:34 AM

Ya know my valve cover does look leaky. And The Vacuum hose right in the middle of the valve cover is a little loose. Ill check other connections. Any way of stopping this issue? Will cleaning out the cover and replacing the seals help?

Thanks for the input by the way.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee

Take the tubes off that run from the valve cover to the air box and blast them out with carb cleaner to open them up or replace them if needed, and clean the airbox and intake tube as well. An extra step would be to pull the valve cover to clean it inside and out as the baffles inside may be clogged. Drop in a new filter and give it a little time to see what happens. At best your CCV system is clogged (very common, no big deal), at worse your rings are going bad. Does your engine seem to run ok?

My first Jeep was a really nice YJ that I got super cheap because there was oil in the airbox and the small dealership thought the motor was on its way out. I spent all of 5 minutes and simply cleaned out the CCV tubes and airbox and never had a drop of oil in the filter for the rest of the time I owned it. Hope that's all you're dealing with.

BTW - If you do remove the valve cover you should take it to a carwash and blast the crud away where the cover meets the block and anywhere else you can before you get started. Soak it with degreaser for a bit and hit it with the pressure washer, but don't spray directly at the oil cap or you might get a little water in the motor like I did one time. This will help keep stuff from getting in your motor when you open the top and also help you find leaks in the future... I love a clean motor for that reason if nothing else.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:42 AM

Thumbs up

It does seem to run ok. Maybe with a little knocking. Im not sure. Just a LITTLE bit. I drove the car for about 45 minutes yesterday and it ran pretty good but by the end of the trip it seemed to be lagging. But there is a low oil pressure issue and the filter was oily at that point. I dropped in a new air filter, topped off the oil ( which needs to be changed badly) And its running pretty good. I need a more Jeep experienced person to check it out for me. But it has 108k on it. So hmm It makes me think how she treated this jeep lol. I hope i can revive it to its full potential! 480 dollars was a steal in my book lol.

Here she is

Last edited by chronicnate; 05-27-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 05-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by chronicnate
It does seem to run ok. Maybe with a little knocking. Im not sure. Just a LITTLE bit. I drove the car for about 45 minutes yesterday and it ran pretty good but by the end of the trip it seemed to be lagging. But there is a low oil pressure issue and the filter was oily at that point. I dropped in a new air filter, topped off the oil ( which needs to be changed badly) And its running pretty good. I need a more Jeep experienced person to check it out for me. But it has 108k on it. So hmm It makes me think how she treated this jeep lol. I hope i can revive it to its full potential! 480 dollars was a steal in my book lol.

Here she is
yeah thats a good deal!! I just bought mine about a week ago and am figuring out that there is alot you can do to/with these things...
Old 05-27-2010, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: I6 4.0L

Wow. I honestly see a post on this 4-5 times a week. Try doing a search before posting. Common Jeep problem.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Easy on the noob. Search is a very helpful thing, and so are friendly forum members.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 4Doors
Easy on the noob. Search is a very helpful thing, and so are friendly forum members.
So true, somebody new to Jeeps does not know this is a common problem.
I have had the trouble with my sister's 90 and had to clean up the system on my new to me 90 when I got it.
The baffles on the inside of the valve cover have a pretty small orifice if I remember right that needs to be cleaned out or it won't get any vacuum through the system.
Don't waste money going to the dealer for the tubing if it cannot be fixed, just use vacuum line.
also 108K on these engines is just getting broke in good and this is coming from Bleeds FORD blue person.
clint