Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

a little more HP

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default a little more HP

Hey guys... i need your proffesional advice again!! I had my swim trunks on surfing the net and i decided to check out rustysoffroad.com. got to looking at there performance stuff and was thinking maybe i should own some of it. BUT before purchasing i had to consult with the pannel of judges..... you fine folks. without changing over to the newer style intake and header and what not, what should i get. I already have a hi flow cat and muffler with 2.5" pipe. should i invest in one of them cone filters? throttle body? does anyone make a chip or tuner?Throttle bod spacer? REMEMBER that i am in college and do not wanna break the bank just yet. anything would help Thanks
Old 10-19-2009, 02:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id go with a throttle body spacer, K & N filter. That wont break the bank and itll help you a little. Summit Racing has a good selection. They also sell chips.

Last edited by troy fritz; 10-19-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:58 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L HO

dont waste your money on a tb spacer. you can do an intake to help you flow a little better. bored throttle body for excellent throttle response and perhaps marginal power gains, ditch the mechanical fan and run electrics.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:12 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by troy fritz
Id go with a throttle body spacer, K & N filter. That wont sreak the bank and itll help you a little. Summit Racing has a good selection. They also sell chips.

X2 on the summit racing recommendation. i'll be hitting them up in January for an exhaust and a couple other things.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:05 PM

Engine: 4.0 HO

Go for the K&N, forget the TB spacer. You can do the 99+ manifold intake upgrade, get a 63mm ported TB, and start looking for the 4-hole fuel injectors. Then get it tuned up. Other than going with all electrical fans and installing a performance chip (JET makes one), which may or may not require further mods depending on which stage you get, you've pretty much done all you can without stroking the engine.

EDIT: Sorry, re-read your orginal. You said you didn't want to do all that (new intake, etc.). My bad!

Last edited by Ian96XJ; 10-19-2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Reread the original
Old 10-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Registered Users

Engine: 4.0l

ya i am not looking to do the 99+ intake till i am outta college and got a steady flow of cash. I just wanna get a little better performance and try to get more mpg. as far as tune up that was done not so long ago. so pretty much k&n, throttle body, and a chip?
Old 10-19-2009, 06:19 PM

The chip is pretty expensive. You're looking at around $300 easily. The throttle body switch won't be as beneficial if you don't remove the restriction of the pre-99 intake manifold. Don't get me wrong, it'll help some. You can get an intake manifold for around $50 (I did off of ebay) and everything bolts on. You might have to pay a mechanic for an hour or two worth of work, but even there, you'll have spent less than a JET chip.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TB spacers have been proven to be useless. Go with a cold air intake and a bored 63mm throttle body.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Banned

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

if you check the latest issue of JP magazine they have an article busting hp myths about the 4.ol's and lets just say the only things that work are a high flow filter with a smoot intake tube to replace stock, high flow cat, header, and cat-back exhaust. or you can buy the new Roller cam kits available from i believe 505 performance or something

-bored out throttle bodies actually hurt, throttle spacers dont work they can actually cause bogging, and upgrading to newer heads or intakes off newer jeeps doesnt help either. and also hopping up the ignition in these motors doesnt really help.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:02 AM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by mcguyver_xj
if you check the latest issue of JP magazine they have an article busting hp myths about the 4.ol's and lets just say the only things that work are a high flow filter with a smoot intake tube to replace stock, high flow cat, header, and cat-back exhaust. or you can buy the new Roller cam kits available from i believe 505 performance or something

-bored out throttle bodies actually hurt, throttle spacers dont work they can actually cause bogging, and upgrading to newer heads or intakes off newer jeeps doesnt help either. and also hopping up the ignition in these motors doesnt really help.

Dude, if your going to say something that bold, you better give us all links to something....
Old 10-20-2009, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 ltr

x2 need more info
Old 10-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000 - Murdered out
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by nasonguy
Dude, if your going to say something that bold, you better give us all links to something....
I agree. In the article notes, it says, "We did see a 5hp difference with a 62mm throttle body on a 4.0L with a cold air intake and exhaust modifications..." I run a CAI, w/ a 63mm TB and Flowmaster Super 44 offroad muffler and it's made a great difference with this combo. In no way has the bored TB hurt in any way.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 ltr

i put a borla catback and a tbs on and noticed a hell of a diffrence in throttle responce, was thinking of a bored throttle body next.
BUT i run a snorkle, will this make much difrence??

sorry not hijacking your thread.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:59 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by mcguyver_xj

Seriously?...boring out the throttle body so it doesnt neck down will hurt? come on now. its only going to flow more air, and give you better throttle response. And actually the newer intake manifold IS an upgrade, as it flows more air.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:01 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

I'm a newbie here, but I been turning wrenches since I was 10, I'm 47 now. The jeep thing is new to me. I have an 87 Limited, (which Limited just stands for leather interior, power windows and locks, and power seats. Of which the only things that work are the seats, and rear windows). I have just installed an Accel Hi-Po tune-up kit, which includes cap & rotor, 8.8 plug wires, and the yellow truck plugs. The jeep is all stock otherwise, and I can really feel the difference in the ACCELeration. The kind you can feel in the seat of your pants. I like it!!! I'm thinking a Rusty's, Hi-Po exhaust, next with the Flowmaster 40 muffler. As I remember from all those college classes I took on auto mechanics, You just have to keep things matches up, for it to work right. You open up the flow on one end, you need to open it to match on the other end. You really want power, and something to last the best 2 things you can do is Have the engine balanced, and port and polished. Smooth and flow! They proved that one back in the 40's. Lil jeepers