Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Nut that holds HVAC box to firewall spins but won't climb threads

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 02:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6
Default Nut that holds HVAC box to firewall spins but won't climb threads

I am unfortunately having a lot of difficulty with my heater core/evap project, and this is another obstacle I have to overcome. I have been turning this bolt 1/4 at a time for the past 15 minutes and it does not appear to have budged at all. I can't spin it freely with my hand. I tried to put a screwdriver behind it and turn it with the wrench so it would grab the threads. This resulted in me dropping the wrench somewhere behind the engine and maybe on top of the transmission?... Not sure, but RIP wrench because I can't find it anywhere

Old 03-20-2019, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Slip a knife blade under it while you turn it. It will probably catch
Old 03-20-2019, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 w/ 1998 Motor
Default Reply

try using a magnet tool that expands and retrieve wrench; and when I removed my heater and ac box I had to remove it from the inside ; I had the same issue; the bolt through the firewall just spins and it’s made to unscrew from the housing but the stud remains; just try to loosen all of them even though it feels like they aren’t coming off; eventually the whole unit can be pulled out
Old 03-20-2019, 09:36 PM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

Soak in penetrating fluid. I'm thinking spray every 15 minutes for a couple of hours and once a day for a few day. If you don't have time, then use a nut splitter. A cold chisel would be a poor man's nut splitter.
Use a set of locking pliers to hold the bolt while you unthread the nut. Add two nuts towards the middle to creat a jam nut. Hold the inner jam nut with one wrench and in screw the rusted nut with another wrench.
All of these including possibly the nut splitter would be benefited by a good penetrating fluid.

P.S. a smaller hand may be able to fit around the transmission. A quick acceleration, then deceleration in the driveway may free it as well.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by gat
Soak in penetrating fluid. I'm thinking spray every 15 minutes for a couple of hours and once a day for a few day. If you don't have time, then use a nut splitter. A cold chisel would be a poor man's nut splitter.
Use a set of locking pliers to hold the bolt while you unthread the nut. Add two nuts towards the middle to creat a jam nut. Hold the inner jam nut with one wrench and in screw the rusted nut with another wrench.
All of these including possibly the nut splitter would be benefited by a good penetrating fluid.

P.S. a smaller hand may be able to fit around the transmission. A quick acceleration, then deceleration in the driveway may free it as well.
^^^^ This is what I'd do. If I got super frustrated with it, maybe take a dremel to the nut, cut it as close to the threads as you can without buggering up the threads and then split it with a chisel or big screwdriver.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:42 PM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

What was your solution provided that resolved this?
Old 03-23-2019, 08:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

I tried the knife blade but wasn't able to get any leverage to get it on the thread. I ended up borrowing a precision flathead screwdriver and putting it behind it to gain some leverage. It took more tries than I'd like to admit, but I got it eventually.