Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NSS really broken?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default NSS really broken?

Hi guys,

My XJ is not starting from time to time due to an issue that has definitely to do with the NSS (starts always and without any issues when I bypass the NSS using a piece of wire to short the contacts in the connector in the engine bay).

Hence I cleaned the NSS as described in many online threads, (albeit it wasn't dirty at all inside and the springs worked fine) reinstalled it and everything worked fine for a few weeks.

However, now I have the same issue again: will not start from time to time. Starts then sometimes after moving around the shift stick, and if that doesn't work, I have to short the contacts as described above, then it starts without any issues.

Here is my question:
May it be that the NSS is somehow damaged, something that can not be appreciated when the NSS is taken apart? Or may there exist another reason?

The point is: Should I buy a new NSS, albeit I can't see why this one should not work?

Thanks for feedback,

Peter
Old 03-30-2014, 04:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999 Limited
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

clean the under-hood connections, I had the same problem and saved myself a lot of money.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

You mention cleaning it, but not adjusting it.....? Besides checking the connections as mentioned, do the reverse lights work?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
You mention cleaning it, but not adjusting it.....? Besides checking the connections as mentioned, do the reverse lights work?
I adjusted the NSS x-times and I also cleaned the connections under the hood,
I guess a cable of the wiring might be broken. I fear I have to buy a new one to definitely figure it out...

Hm, the reverse lights - I did not always check these when it did not start, but when I checked them, when it would not start, then then they did not work. When it starts they work, thats what I know for sure. I don't think its due to adjustment - I did that a few times - and then it always worked fine - why should it first be aligned fine, and then after a few days be mis-aligned?

Last question:
I found new aftermarket NSSs in price range from $50 (eBay) - $100 ("Crown") and $200 ("Replacement") - are these really quality differences or can I just go with the cheapest?

THanks
Peter

Last edited by Stoffgeber; 03-31-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by roadraje
clean the under-hood connections, I had the same problem and saved myself a lot of money.
I adjusted the NSS x-times and I also cleaned the connections under the hood,
I guess a cable of the wiring might be broken. I fear I have to buy a new one to definitely figure it ou...

Last question:
I found new aftermarket NSSs in price range from $50 (eBay) - $100 ("Crown") and $200 ("Replacement") - are these really quality differences or can I just go with the cheapest?

THanks
Peter