Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission installation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 High Output
Default Transmission installation?

I busted my transmission yesterday an got another tranny today so I'm not the best mechanic just wondering what I'm about to get myself into? Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to say it, but if you have to ask what you're in for with a tranny swap on a 4x4 you probably lack the tools AND knowledge for that major repair. It's not for a beginner. Even if you get 50 responses on here of tips and tricks it's just no substitute for experience. Plus, you're going to be handling heavy components so there is an element of safety that you need to be aware of. Find a friend who has done it before to help you. If you can't find a free helper you should find a shop willing to do the swap for a reasonable fee. However, if you're determined to do it, get on YouTube and view some how to videos and buy a repair manual. Be prepared to buy some tools and make a jig for handling the tranny.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by southsidecatac
I hate to say it, but if you have to ask what you're in for with a tranny swap on a 4x4 you probably lack the tools AND knowledge for that major repair. It's not for a beginner. Even if you get 50 responses on here of tips and tricks it's just no substitute for experience. Plus, you're going to be handling heavy components so there is an element of safety that you need to be aware of. Find a friend who has done it before to help you. If you can't find a free helper you should find a shop willing to do the swap for a reasonable fee. However, if you're determined to do it, get on YouTube and view some how to videos and buy a repair manual. Be prepared to buy some tools and make a jig for handling the tranny.
This is the best advice I have seen in a long time. Sure it's only nuts and bolts holding the tranny in, but knowing the sequence of which ones to remove first and being able to visualize how things are going to work is priceless. I'm not going to tell you not to do it, it is a learning experience and is fun for a lot of people. Having the right tools is about 50% of the job, mechanical skill makes up the rest. I pulled my first engine when I was 16 and had no clue of what I was doing, but it was one of the best times I've ever had and it was rewarding to have fixed it myself. Now 30 years later I'm wrenching for a living and have a great job. I guess all of rambling means go for it and have fun.