Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Noise off and on at different speeds but more in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4L
Default Noise off and on at different speeds but more in cold weather

Hello,
I am getting vibration noise (no vibration in the steering wheel or jeep - best why to describe it - it comes and goes but in various speeds from the driver side front. I have had all season tires and winter tires and he noise is still the same intermittent.

New hubs, tie rod ends, ***** joints, gear box, tires, engine, rad, air condition system, heater box and fan motor. Oil changed transfer case and from differential. The noise seems to occur more when cold.

With all that is new - not sure where to turn but back to Napa and a bad front wheel bearing. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

I would describe a bad wheel hub bearing as more of a "grinding" sound than a "vibration" sound.

How old is the hub bearing on that side?

How are the u-joints in the axle shaft? (Assuming 4wd)
Old 01-31-2018, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Most things that that rotate and vibrate on the front axle can be felt, at least a small amount, in the steering wheel. Even things that don't rotate but are touching the front axle (like sway bar bushing and sway bar end link bushings) can be felt in the steering wheel.

Some things that can cause noise in that driver side area that are dependent on engine and or vehicle speed, but may not translate to the steering wheel can include a splash guard (that rubber/leather sheet that covers the bottom of the engine compartment) that is flapping/howling at various speeds. Also items on the belt path can be cause various vibration noises, squeals, chirps, etc. without translating to the steering wheel. Things on the belt path (alternator, power steering pump, idler pullies, crank pully (harmonic balancer), and AC compressor), if making noises, will be more RPM sensitive then vehicle speed sensitive.

Good luck on your search, let us know!
Old 01-31-2018, 06:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Possibly the double cardan joint in the front driveshaft? It's kind of a squeaky rattling sound I guess. They usually only make noise wh n it's cold. Say below 40ish or so. Inhav not felt any vibration but it's definitely noisey.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:21 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The splash guard is new as well as both hubs and upper and lower ball joints. The noise only started to happen when the these parts were replaced.
The noise is so intermittent that the times it has been in the garage they could not find the problem. Thank you for the information it gives me more to investigate. Thank you!!
Old 02-02-2018, 03:24 PM

The hub bearings are new less than 100km the U-joints on the axle shaft have not been changed.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

There was a great link on another thread about checking the u-joints. It was a "bleepin jeep" video, I'm sure you could Google it.

Just for giggles, get the jeep on a straight road (or long driveway) free of traffic and with the wheels straight, put it in 4wd (with the window down and radio off) accelerate and see if you get the noise. If you do, you can at least isolate it to the driveshaft or axle joints.

​​​​​​​