Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Korsair 'fixes' his 99 XJ - Phase I - Exhaust Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Korsair 'fixes' his 99 XJ - Phase I - Exhaust Manifold

TL;DR: I need to fix a bunch of stuff, haven't wrenched in a while and rolling the ADHD dice for perfectionist usually lands a few times on the ole' "Was that the new P/S pump or used brake pads... hmm didn't I make a procedure list down to the minute, or did I just type the TL;DR and forget to post?"

So, kindly help me not screw anything up?

*Bonus 2nd post of minor nightmare ' P/S steering hose just real quick....' advice on that too if there's some to spare...*

In a family sisters and of rotating Cherokees I've always tried to resist, but fate chooses otherwise. Currently rotated to me- only slightly on the neglected side- a 99 XJ. Also, I ramble so- apologies/fair warning/congratulations where applicable.

I had been apprehensive on fixing it up, I've had a sudden change of heart for poor 'Jeepy' (I didn't get to name the XJ's - In fact, I can't be sure, but I think they all have the same nickname through I'm told otherwise...) I might also be using it for light-medium(?) towing for work in the near-ish future. That and since looks like I won't be getting a Cayman for a good while it's back to a 944 project and the concept of a reliable daily and a possible cheap tow are mind-shattering!

I've been lurking, watching youtube, read all of the guides here at least once, and a number of years ago assisted a friend in a near complete over-haul of his TJ with the same I6. However, I' haven't much picked up a wrench in a... while. I'll have a limited window (hah, who doesn't...) for ordering/accumulating parts and 4-5 days to make it all happen. Other than some quick, basic tool grabs, I'm kinda starting from scratch, but will have a decent budget (for the most part) and will be able to split Jeepy's over-haul over a few phases. It was serviced at various Firestones before coming into my care, and I had them print everything out. That culminates to at least a window into it's life from 2005 with ~75,000 miles on it. Of course I forgot that stack of paper and will have to edit any relevant info on more recent work when I'm able to later.

I'm attempting to compile a list of priority parts to replace along the way or while I'm in there to swap an exhaust manifold. I'd welcome any feedback on procedure, parts, especially tools or the little things I'm missing. (Only one trip to the store mid job for an O-ring or something would be so cool) Also, I'm in Texas, the DFW area if that might open up any interesting options for parts.

Operation Fix Jeepy - Phase I - Exhaust Manifold and targets of opportunity

- 'Jeepy' -
1999 Cherokee Sport, I6, 2WD, Automatic, Metallic Blue (for those who care?)
(I have seen some references to 98 or early 99 possibly being different- at least in regards to the exhaust manifold, if this is true I'll need to determine if mine is early or late?)

- 'Budget' - For this phase the budget is ~400-800 USD so I may get all my staples, and ten some, or I might have to forgo the bomb-proof parts at least for the time being. I'll have a more final figure as I tally everything up.

- Schedule -
Day 1 - Tear down
Day 2 - Finish tear down, begin cleaning
Day 3 - Finish cleaning, begin painting
Day 4 - Finish painting, being assembly
Day 5 - Return Jeepy to life
(The engine bay- and everything in it- is extra dirty and caked in a lovely dirt/oil mixture. I'd love tips on cleaning it, and I'll be attempting to clean anything coming out then painting new or cleaned parts if possible.)

- Objectives -
(So this is kinda the rough draft, I plan on editing it into a sensible walk through plan and parts list - by all means, please steer me in the right direction in the meantime. What else should or shouldn't I try to tackle during this time)

- Primary Objectives -
  • Replace Exhaust Manifold
  • Replace Serpentine Belt
  • Replace Motor Mounts
- Secondary Objectives -
  • Motor Mount Brackets?
  • Head Gasket
  • Valve Cover Gasket
  • Power Steering Pump*
  • Pulleys - (P/S looks rough, others?)
  • Water Pump/Thermostat (?)
  • Freeze Plugs (?)
- Seems Cool Objectives -
  • Replace Stock Fuel Injectors (?)
  • Cold Air Intake
- Tune Up Objectives -
  • Spark Plugs
  • Ignition Wires
  • Distributor Cap
  • Filters, Fluids
  • Battery
- Misc. Objectives -
  • Oil Pan Gasket
  • Rear Main Seal
  • Transmission Mount

- Parts -
(The list will be a bit slim at the moment. So far it's what I've found from lurking and feeling like a reasonable price point for this first phase)
My default will be Oreilly's/RockAuto/Amazon. Is there like a Pelican Parts for Jeeps/XJ's everyone loves?) (And let me know if some/all linking is frowned upon and I'll refrain from it)

- Exhaust ManifoldPurchasing from: Oreilly's
Manufacturer: Dorman
Link: Exhaust Manifold

- Motor Mounts
Purchasing from: Brown Dog
Manufacturer: Brown Dog
Link: Motor Mounts

(And I'm running out of time for the moment, so very sparse indeed, will edit soon)

- Tools -
On hand -
- 3/8" Drive Ratchet
- One set of also going to edit this in soon, also when I have it in front of me to make a list of
Will Need -- 3/8" Drive Torque Wrench
- See 'Item 2' in 'on-hand Tools'
- Misc. Materials -
On Hand - - RTV Silicone (Blue)
Will Need - - Fill in soon, etc.

-Place Holder Closing -
So After this hurdle, I'll be able to get the bloody thing inspected and hopefully feel less terrible for poor Jeepy. The next Phase I'd hope to be tackling in ~3 months would be a lot of front suspension, brakes, hubs, etc.

I've added the Oil pan, rear main seal, etc. because I picked those up a while ago when I planned on resolving some leaks, and provided I can find the parts and they're not crappy by now, I'd like to sort those too.

I did recently resolve a can't idle/have to hold gas to start Jeep issue when I found these forums, and the guides and cleaned up the throttle body and Idle control that were, frankly hideous. Huzzah, thanks guys!

In the meantime, I'm going to try and post the fun I've been having replacing a leaking P/S hose because this will only take 15 minutes and nothing could go totally wrong and why wait for the big job to replace those hoses.......... Pictures of suffering included