Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No turn signals or hazards! And no left parking light?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No turn signals or hazards! And no left parking light?

Hey! So lately I've been having weird electrical issues with my 2001 XJ. It first started out with my left parking light fuse continuously blowing. Everytime you go to replace it, it'll blow and then my interior will smell like burning electrical stuff. But the new issue is that now my turn signals AND hazards won't work, but my RIGHT parking light still works. When I go to engage my turn signals, I get nothing! When they went out, it was when I was turning left, they started blinking super fast and seemed to die right in the middle of my turn. I go to turn again and I get nothing. I'm completely stumped and I could definitely use some help! Thanks!!
Old 04-11-2016, 07:19 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I had a similar issue, not with fuse blowing-- that's a short somewhere I imagine and if you have burning smell you probably have chewed wires that need to be dealt with first. I would disconnect the battery and track that down asap before you burn up. That's beyond what I know how to do.

But with the shifter/hazards not working or working only sometimes-- I was able to fix mine.

The turn signal switch is part of unit that connects to the rest with wiring harnesses. I ended up pulling it out/apart, cleaning, adding new dielectric grease to everything. Mine's an '01 as well. I will tell you, that unit is barely serviceable, just because there are so many little springs-- you basically need four tiny hands to get it back together. It took me 4 or 5 attempts to do it right (including reinstalling, realizing I screwed up, repeat, repeat), but it is possible. If you can afford a replacement, or find one at the dump I would recommend that. If not, get yourself a good clear work space and a ton of patience.

Look for videos online, that'll help with getting the unit out. Past that I couldn't find anything. Let me know if you go for it, I may be able to help.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:40 PM

Year: 2001

Found this, for pre-97: http://www.instructables.com/id/Serv...gh-l/?ALLSTEPS

If my memory is right (big if) this is pretty different. Looks like this one comes apart in two easy pieces, making reassembly easier.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Tim Woodie
Hey! So lately I've been having weird electrical issues with my 2001 XJ. It first started out with my left parking light fuse continuously blowing. Everytime you go to replace it, it'll blow and then my interior will smell like burning electrical stuff. But the new issue is that now my turn signals AND hazards won't work, but my RIGHT parking light still works. When I go to engage my turn signals, I get nothing! When they went out, it was when I was turning left, they started blinking super fast and seemed to die right in the middle of my turn. I go to turn again and I get nothing. I'm completely stumped and I could definitely use some help! Thanks!!
I had the same issue. Turned out to be the entire turn signal module. It's a 20 minute job to replace and the part is about $35 if I recall.