Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No start when cold...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default No start when cold...

Hey guys, just bought a 98 XJ with 135xxx...after sitting all night in the cold, she hates starting in the morning. I have to give her gas until i can get it into drive and go down the road, then its just fine. Any ideas? I was told it may be fuel pressure regulator..?
Old 10-28-2013, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Originally Posted by CherokeeChick33
Hey guys, just bought a 98 XJ with 135xxx...after sitting all night in the cold, she hates starting in the morning. I have to give her gas until i can get it into drive and go down the road, then its just fine. Any ideas? I was told it may be fuel pressure regulator..?
if it starts, but requires extra throttle until warmed it sounds like the IAC is suspect. but...
get the battery, alternator and starter load tested. make sure that your jeep is tuned up well- good clean battery leads/grounds, clean the TB and all sensors like TPS and IAC, maybe new cap/rotor, plugs/wires. new oil and filter as well as air filter. the fuel delivery is also suspect, you can use a gauge in the fuel tail to test pressure..

a good quick test is to do the "poor mans prime" where you turn the key to on (one step before starting) several times to prime the fuel pump. if it starts easier after priming like 3 or 4 times, fuel delivery is the issue.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989

Sounds like the IAC maybe dirty. It's what controls the fuel mixture in the throttle body. Take the intake tube off the throttle body and see how dirty it is inside. If the IAC's pintle and it's passge way is full of carbon it'll cause poor idle when cold. I've had it happen before and it always appears when the temps finally get down.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:20 PM

Cool, thanks so much. Will definitely try the fuel delivery test...that's my hope. Gas guage was going crazy when i tried starting it last and pumping gas pedal
Old 10-28-2013, 12:21 PM

Black 89, that its one thing i checked already...looks pretty clean. Also unplugged tps and no change
Old 10-28-2013, 12:36 PM
CF Veteran

Black 89, that its one thing i checked already...looks pretty clean. Also unplugged tps and no change
oh ****, didn't see you have a renix.. hmm, most of what i said still applies but you might wanna check into Cruiser54 has to say about your engine and tuning it up.. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cr...x-tips-153657/
Old 10-28-2013, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam

Originally Posted by VTJeep
if it starts, but requires extra throttle until warmed it sounds like the IAC is suspect. but...
get the battery, alternator and starter load tested. make sure that your jeep is tuned up well- good clean battery leads/grounds, clean the TB and all sensors like TPS and IAC, maybe new cap/rotor, plugs/wires. new oil and filter as well as air filter. the fuel delivery is also suspect, you can use a gauge in the fuel tail to test pressure..

a good quick test is to do the "poor mans prime" where you turn the key to on (one step before starting) several times to prime the fuel pump. if it starts easier after priming like 3 or 4 times, fuel delivery is the issue.
I've had that exact problem and it was the fuel pump. In particular it is the check-valve in the fuel pump. The check valve lets the fuel only flow in one direction and therefore maintains pressure in the fuel lines/rail. When it starts to wear out it is no longer maintaining pressure in the fuel lines and is allowing it to 'bleed' back into the fuel tank.

If the multiple prime is the fix you need to replace the entire assembly. A piece of advice, DO NOT BUY AN AIRTEX. They will fail you, like it did me and many others, and end up costing more because you will pay for tow fees and still have to buy another fuel pump in the end. After one failed fuel pump from them I did the investigation and went with Bosch (BTW, in my area only NAPA had Bosch and the other two well known vendors only carried Airtex). The Bosch pump costs more, but the Bosch pump actually works and lasts. My Airtex cut off in mid drive 55 miles from the house.

After many hours of troubleshooting I realized it was the fuel pump, which I had just put in 2 months prior. I was not happy. Autozone said they would be happy to swap my old Airtex for a new one, and I said I would be happy to not put another Airtex in there. In the end I was out the money to buy a piece of temporarily-working-junk, which is made in Mexico, and a $90 towing. Plus the money for the Bosch fuel pump in the end.

Just search for Airtex on the forums and you will find there isn't one satisfied buyer.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:39 PM

I had a renix when i started on here...have gone thru that one and a 99...now i have a 98
Old 10-28-2013, 12:41 PM

Coffee commando-sorry for that $hitty luck! I won't put anything but Bosch in my vehicles (thunderbird sc too) but thanks for the advice! My brother works at autozone so that's probably the one he would've given me lol
Old 10-28-2013, 12:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CoffeeCommando
I've had that exact problem and it was the fuel pump. In particular it is the check-valve in the fuel pump..
right on man, good info.

I had a renix when i started on here...have gone thru that one and a 99...now i have a 98
haha, not afraid to use em, right on. then i guess if IAC is good, an issue with the fuel delivery is next on the list of possibles. but a general tune up might help too.. there might be info stored thats not tripping CEL. might be worth getting it plugged in.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:52 PM

VT, my fiancée has it at his shop right now...he said he's gonna plug it in and see if anything was recently deleted. I also told him to "prime" it. I wish i could say it needed a tune up but it runs like a champ. I've never had a straight six run this strong and haul around 8"lift with 33x15.5s without a problem. I'll def be sure to post when we get to messing around with it. Really appreciate everyones input.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:41 PM

Well, looks like its going to start now no problem. We will have to try again tomorrow am
Old 10-28-2013, 04:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

I was having a similar issue with my 88 when it's cold it will crank and crank and start and die I did a trans change and did a crank sensor and now I don't have any issues
Old 10-29-2013, 04:45 PM

Fuel it is. Cranked and cranked last night. So i primed it and it fired right up.