Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

no start/stall, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 12:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: rebuilt straight 6
Default no start/stall, any ideas?

need some help
last sunday i went wheeling with my dad and brother up into Silverton, other than over heating (which i fixed) our only problem was one time when we stalled on a rough dirt road. we ended up turning it around manually and rolling it down the hill. After a few minutes of rolling we tried to start it again and it went right up no problem. and we made it from silverton all the way home wit out any more problems.

after driving around regularly and replacing thermostat and water pump (to fix over heating) i tested and did basic check on everything that i knew well to get ready for a little wheeling with some friends up another local road. after making sure everything looked good we took off.

made it the 3 minutes on paved plus a good 2 miles up dirt when it stalled again. sounded the same as when it happened last sunday. after about 2 minutes i tried and it started right up. we kept going a little just to "test" the jeep. after it died the second time i got out a took a look at some more little things. still couldnt find anything weird and after another 5 minutes it started right up again.

we decided then it would be a good idea to start heading back. as we were heading down, it would continue to stall, it would not stay running for more than 20 feet before dieing, but i could start it right back up every time it died. after we finally hit some smoother road it stopped stalling, i played with the throttle and brake a little to see if i could stall it again and i couldn't. so we kept going, however we stopped about 5 minutes down the paved road for a break, and i turned off the engine. when we got back in and tried to start it, nothing. now...
  • it will crank, but not turn over (when it was stalling earlier it would crank and start to turn but then just stop everything)
  • i have gas to rail (not sure about injection)
  • it is now dark and late so i will not be able to check anything else tonight, but i did get my dad to tow it back to my place to work on it.
if you have any questions on what is going on please ask and i will do my best to answer. i will check more stuff (like spark and injection ect) tomorrow.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

The strategy for a no-start is always the same. Start by verifying spark.

*Pull a plug, keep it attached to the plug wire, place the plug electrode near a good engine ground, have a buddy crank the engine while you watch. You are looking for a strong, blue, snapping spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark, which may not be strong enough to start the engine

*If spark is present and BLUE, then you need to check fuel pressure. This must be done with a gauge. Anything less is complete guesswork. With an 87, you need approximately 31 psi for the engine to start. It won't start with low pressure.

*Use a noid light to verify that your injectors are firing

*You can also try squirting a small amount of gas into the intake. If the engine starts and runs momentarily, then you have confirmed that you have injector pulse and that your problem is "fuel delivery"

None of the above testing is difficult and these strategies will help you isolate the "root cause" of your problem.

Good luck and let us know what you find!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I had a problem similar to this and it turned out to be the fuel strainer fell off the fuel pump in the tank. When it got around a quarter tank and I went down a hill or around a corner it would stall continuously, start right back up and die again. I don't know if the other symptoms match up, but it's a 10 part and a 10 minute fix if that's it...