Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hood off track

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood off track

Hi all! My first post here (def. not the last ), nice to see a tight commune of XJers! I recently purchased my 01 Cherokee 4.0 with 130k and it is running beautifully stock. The only problem with the vehicle is the hood. When I fully opened it, it cracked and broke my windshield wiper grille located between the windshield and the hood! Also when I opened it the grille came up onto the back of the hood and scratched the hell out of it. So instead of constantly scratching my hood I pulled the bugger out and clipped off the fluid distributers off of it (luckily they still work lol).

The lever for opening the hood itself is rough to open up, requiring a hard pull to free the latch..and closing it is pretty tight up near the windshield.

I'm not a mechanic, but I am a carpenter. I could round up quite a few tools, but being as I've never done something like this, I could use a few pointers. Plus I have a few mechanic buddies who can help too..that always helps.

Thanks for your time!

ps anyone who knows the correct name for the piece I broke, help me out! It will need replacing
Old 02-04-2008, 09:43 PM

the piece you broke is the cowl. as for the hood adjustment it just takes time. make sure you get the proper gap around it and check to make sure your hinges are in good working order. you may want to look into replacing the hood release cable, or at least lubing it, as well as your hood latching mechanism. If the hood latch has excess rust spray it with pb blaster let soak wire brush of the rust and lube it up. maybe a coat of spray bomb just to help prevent more rust.

Bastard Child
Old 06-28-2011, 06:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Bastard Child
the piece you broke is the cowl. as for the hood adjustment it just takes time. make sure you get the proper gap around it and check to make sure your hinges are in good working order. you may want to look into replacing the hood release cable, or at least lubing it, as well as your hood latching mechanism. If the hood latch has excess rust spray it with pb blaster let soak wire brush of the rust and lube it up. maybe a coat of spray bomb just to help prevent more rust.

Bastard Child
x2

and what a name!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee

I have the exact same problem due to hood with about a dozen dents lolz