Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No start problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 H.O. Police Package
Default No start problem

My 94 jeep cherokee with a 4.0 engine in it hasn't been starting for the last week or two i've been replacing parts left and right trying to get it to start we've replaced the ignition coil sparkplugs fuel pump fuel filter and crankposition sensor, and still no starting! =[ to describe what it does when attempting to start it cranks over and everything but it's like there's no ignition or something to keep it going. I don't know any help as to what it is is very much appreciated thank you.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Do you have spark? Do you have fuel at the rail? Rather than throwing money at it diagnose it first.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:22 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I did not hear you mention anything about your neutral safety switch (NSS)?

Did you ever clean and lubricate it? I know when mine was dirty before I pulled it and cleaned it up, I sometimes had to put the car in neutral and then it would turn over and start up.

Worth a shot = http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/
Old 02-15-2012, 11:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

If the engine cranks over well, the problem is not the NSS.

1. Scan the computer for any possible codes. How-to is shown below. Takes all of 5 minutes. If there are any codes post the EXACT code numbers here for comment.

2. I'd recommend you perform a quick test on spark. Pull a spark plug, keep it attached to the plug wire, place the plug electrode near a good engine ground. Have a buddy crank the engine while you watch. You are looking for a strong, BLUE, snapping spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark which may not be strong enough to start the engine.

3. If spark checks out (and only if), then try a small splash of gasoline into the intake or a shot of starting fluid. If the engine starts and runs for a short time, you have confirmed a "fuel delivery" problem.

4. I would also consider finishing your tuneup with a new distributor cap and rotor.

------------------------------------------------------------------
OBDI models (1991-1995) - Start with the ignition off. Within five seconds, switch the key on, off, on, off, on. ("On" is NOT "Start" and "Off" is NOT "Lock"). The "check engine" light will flash. Count the flashes. Each code is a two digit code, so a (for example) 23 would be FLASH FLASH (pause) FLASH FLASH FLASH (long pause). It will never flash more than 9 times, so watch for those pauses!

Last edited by tjwalker; 02-15-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by jeepcherokee97
I did not hear you mention anything about your neutral safety switch (NSS)?

Did you ever clean and lubricate it? I know when mine was dirty before I pulled it and cleaned it up, I sometimes had to put the car in neutral and then it would turn over and start up.

Worth a shot = http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/
He says it cranks but doesn't start, that rules out the NSS.

^beat me to it...
Old 02-15-2012, 03:29 PM

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by sthon
He says it cranks but doesn't start, that rules out the NSS.

^beat me to it...

Yeah, that is exactly what I was thinking before I posted earlier. I just remembered how mine was acting and I know this does not make much sense.. but mine would crank in park for a click or two and not start... then I would put it in neutral and it would start right up. Your right though, ideally the nss should not be a factor.

Process of elimination, start with free things, then cheaper things, then well... gotta spend some cash, ha.

Hey man hope you figure it out soon and get her running smooth
Old 02-15-2012, 04:51 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 I6

Did you happen to look at your cps(crank position sensor) def a good and cheap place to start. And the xj could always use a better one. Good luck either way.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:52 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 I6

Haha never mind just saw you already replaced it lol.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:43 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

this may seem silly, i was just having the same problem today.. i cleaned out the battery terminals and the starter terminals... turned over like a charm
Old 02-15-2012, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: l6 242

Originally Posted by yoPERAKIS
this may seem silly, i was just having the same problem today.. i cleaned out the battery terminals and the starter terminals... turned over like a charm
valid suggestion, also check the wires and grounds coming off the starter relay.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by tjwalker
If the engine cranks over well, the problem is not the NSS.

1. Scan the computer for any possible codes. How-to is shown below. Takes all of 5 minutes. If there are any codes post the EXACT code numbers here for comment.

2. I'd recommend you perform a quick test on spark. Pull a spark plug, keep it attached to the plug wire, place the plug electrode near a good engine ground. Have a buddy crank the engine while you watch. You are looking for a strong, BLUE, snapping spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark which may not be strong enough to start the engine.

3. If spark checks out (and only if), then try a small splash of gasoline into the intake or a shot of starting fluid. If the engine starts and runs for a short time, you have confirmed a "fuel delivery" problem.

4. I would also consider finishing your tuneup with a new distributor cap and rotor.

------------------------------------------------------------------
OBDI models (1991-1995) - Start with the ignition off. Within five seconds, switch the key on, off, on, off, on. ("On" is NOT "Start" and "Off" is NOT "Lock"). The "check engine" light will flash. Count the flashes. Each code is a two digit code, so a (for example) 23 would be FLASH FLASH (pause) FLASH FLASH FLASH (long pause). It will never flash more than 9 times, so watch for those pauses!
^ Dead on as usual^. Do you hear the pump run a second when you turn the key on? Ya'know, #1 is at 5:00 viewed from the side? (I"ve seen some diagram's wrong)
Old 02-15-2012, 07:16 PM

Year: 1991

ballast resistor maybe
Old 02-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Seasoned Member

thank you guys so much for all of the advice. I will put up results of what happens when i do the spark and fuel test, also will be checking computer codes.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Seasoned Member

spark test came up as the spark is white. but sparked everytime and deffinetly have fuel at the main rail I took off one of the hoses and fuel came spraying out when the key was turned on.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by tjwalker

Quick Reply: No start problem