Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No front wiper

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default No front wiper

Hi guys,
I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport, and the front wipers will not work. However, they do spray fluid, and the rear works fine and sprays fluid as well. I replaced the 20 amp fuse in the passenger side kick panel, no change. I can move the wipers by hand however based on the speed I have the switch on in the cab. I was reading about a wiper control module that is velcroed under the steering wheel, and I still cannot find it, however I am not sure if this was only for older year cherokee's. The pumps are a year old if it means anything. Any ideas on what I can do next? I was thinking it may have been the motors in the cowl, however if my rear works fine, could they be bad? I was also thinking it may be the switch, but if my turn signals work fine then I am not sure if it could be bad? The only thing I could think that could have happened was at night I drove it and left the wipers on, and the next morning the wipers froze to the windshield, and when I started it up they could not move and burnt something out?
Old 02-07-2019, 09:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts

Originally Posted by PoorMansWrangler
Hi guys,
I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport, and the front wipers will not work. However, they do spray fluid, and the rear works fine and sprays fluid as well. I replaced the 20 amp fuse in the passenger side kick panel, no change. I can move the wipers by hand however based on the speed I have the switch on in the cab. I was reading about a wiper control module that is velcroed under the steering wheel, and I still cannot find it, however I am not sure if this was only for older year cherokee's. The pumps are a year old if it means anything. Any ideas on what I can do next? I was thinking it may have been the motors in the cowl, however if my rear works fine, could they be bad? I was also thinking it may be the switch, but if my turn signals work fine then I am not sure if it could be bad? The only thing I could think that could have happened was at night I drove it and left the wipers on, and the next morning the wipers froze to the windshield, and when I started it up they could not move and burnt something out?
First thing I would do is pull them. Pop the little silver tab up and hopefully they are not stuck on there and the whole arm should come off. Inspect the teeth on the studs. See if they move when you turn on the wipers. Inspect the teeth in wipers. You are looking for stripped/missing teeth on both the studs on the Jeep and the inside of the wiper arms. Report back. Just thought of this. Make sure those metal tabs I told you pop up are actually down in place.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:07 AM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

Check the voltage at the connector to the motor in the front. The motor in the front is a different motor than the rear just like the switch is different.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Agree with the others - check the splines, test the motor (jump it to the battery and see if it runs).

The switch can definitely fail for the wipers but still work correctly for the turn signals, so don't discount that as a possibility. I went through at least 2 of those switches on my 00 TJ due to wiper failure while the turn signals were always fine.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:45 AM

Well as an update, now my turn signals have started to go out. They only work intermittently, it seems like they just get stuck on, but don’t blink
Old 02-09-2019, 01:47 PM
gat

The switch is somewhat difficult to push thru the column. You can unplug the old and plug the replacement on the outside first. Just to ensure that that is the problem.
Also, if you find that you need to replace the sockets for the turn signals, then watch this. It has the part number and wiring diagrams.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:25 PM
CF Veteran

The multifunction switch on a 2000 should be easy to replace. You remove the plastic cover (a few screws on the bottom), then it's a few screws (you may need security torx bits, but I think it's just the regular torx for the multifunction) and it comes right out.
plug in the new switch and test it, if all is good, put it back in all the way. Obviously clean the connector and check the conditions of the wiring while you're in there.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:28 PM
CF Veteran

Also check the bulbs - if one is out it usually displays as a solid indicator for the blinker.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:56 AM

I will have to give it a shot! I was reading that the multifunction switches can cause a variety of issues, to include wiper, and turn signals so hopefully it will solve the issue.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:39 PM
gat

Originally Posted by gat
The switch is somewhat difficult to push thru the column. You can unplug the old and plug the replacement on the outside first. Just to ensure that that is the problem.
Also, if you find that you need to replace the sockets for the turn signals, then watch this. It has the part number and wiring diagrams.
Sorry, I must have confused this thread with one with an older model.