Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New XJ owner - What to change/fix/add

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New XJ owner - What to change/fix/add

Hello gentlemen.

I am about to buy myself a XJ (first time user), not sure if I'll land on a 98 or 99.

My plan is to use it as my daily car and the occasional huntingtrip. So I won't go rockcrawling or off-road more than some dirtroads while hunting.

It will also serve as my bugout-vehicle and my plan is to spend much time and money in the garage with it.

I have planned to let it stay in the garage the first months while changing/fixing stuff that need to be done. I've read about the fuel injection change for example, changing to a cable for the 4wd diff etc.

I want a reliable car after I am done with it.

What would you (more experienced XJ owners than me) say the most important thing is to change? I am open for doing ALOT with my car so I am all ears. Thank you in advance

(English is not my native language so if I am a bit unclear feel free to ask)
Old 07-07-2016, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

WELCOME to ya. And your English is fine. Sounds like you'll be using your XJ the way I use my '96 .

Would be best to wait until you get an XJ. 98 or 99 are good years. When we find out how the vehicle is equipped we can go from there. I can tell you that the first aftermarket add on I did was a headlight/harness upgrade.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999 Limited
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

If it comes down to '98 or '99, go with the '99 (opinions may differ). Start with the basics then move on to the upgrades. Get a Haynes manual and prepare to get your hands dirty. Change every fluid, replace the air filter, plugs, wires, coil, cap and rotor. Check the ball-joints, U-joints, sway bar bushings, drag link and track bar, replace if necessary. Most oil leaks can be easily repaired; the valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit and/or oil filter adapter are the usual culprits. Check these before assuming it's the rear main seal. Tires at proper pressure, balanced and a good alignment will keep her straight. If she's sagging you may need new leaf springs, replace the coil springs and shocks while you're at it. Everything I mentioned can be "searched" on this treasure of a forum. Read the posts, heed the advice, follow the directions and search BleepinJeep on YouTube. And finally, a large can of PB Blaster, a decent set of tools, a floor-jack and jack-stands are absolute must-haves. Best of luck with whatever you end up with, we'll be here waiting to hear all about it.
The following users liked this post:
Uberjob (03-10-2024)
Old 07-07-2016, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Welcome. I love everything about my 98. Just my 2 cents. If you go on Wikipedia, you can see what changes happened to the vehicle in what years. Might help you out.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

make sure its safe..

check the brake system out and replace as needed.

check ball joints, tie rods..etc. replace as needed. i'd also upgrade to the zj steering right off the bat.

cooling system is a must. rad, hoses, t-stat and housing, water pump and fan clutch. the parts are not expensive and no you know its in tip top shape.

tune up and oil change.

make sure all u-joints are good to. you want it as reliable as possible..
Old 07-07-2016, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

I'm a bigggg brake fan. Don't matter if it starts. It DOES matter if it stops...
Old 07-08-2016, 03:58 AM

Thank you all for the information given. I acquired Haynes manual yesterday and now I am just waiting for the right buy. Your info here will help me alot too and Ill make sure to share with you how it goes and what I do. Thank you

Last edited by Disgruntled; 07-08-2016 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-08-2016, 07:52 AM

Year: 2000

Your going to use your XJ like I do mine and I just got mine 3 weeks ago. So far what I've done is like others have already mentioned. Give it visual inspections almost daily. My XJ was the first vehicle I got where I didn't buy it brand new or wasn't handed down by a family member who I knew the history of vehicle. So what I did my first few days was get underneath, check everything. See whats leaking and whats not. I did a Radiator Flush, Heater Core Flush, new Radiator Cap, New Battery (the one on it was from 10/10 LOL), did the ZJ Steering upgrade (brand new moog parts) and so far that is it. The Dealer I bought it from said they had just changed the Fluids etc. I'm probably going to redo them anyway. I always like to be the one who KNOWS when fluids were actually changed, etc.

Last edited by RubenZ; 07-08-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

If you have a choice of years get a 99 they have all the best of the old and most all of the new without the problems of the 00-01 models heads, LPD30 and such.

Then as already mentioned change all fluids from front to back and top to bottom. Better than the manual you bought wait till you buy your XJ and get a FSM in pdf. format from pacificcoastmanuals.com $7.95 as I recall and download it. A factory service manual is the way to go for help and detail.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Yeah, flush all fluids first thing (including a full brake system bleed till the fluid comes out clear).

Look up "Amway SA8 cooling system flush" for the best cooling system flush method.

Check and replace any worn parts. Brakes and tires are obviously very important (although mine were recently replaced when I got my XJ), suspension would be next, and (IMO) drivetrain would be after that.

Make sure the cooling system is in good shape (water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, hoses, radiator, etc).

I would highly recommend upgrading to Jeep ZJ (93-98 Grand Cherokee) steering, and get one of these boostwerks shift linkages;
http://www.boostwerksengineering.com...ans-_p_25.html

Consider replacing "high risk" items and keeping the originals as spares (meaning high risk for leaving you stranded), like the CPS and Neutral Safety Switch (which can be re-built, google for instructions).

If you are actually "building" it to be a super reliable rig, do a drivetrain/suspension refresh. U-Joints in the front Axles and Front & Rear driveshafts, ball joints up front, and one of the 2-3" Old Man Emu lift kits (very high quality and comfortable).

If it is to be a "bug-out" vehicle, Front + Rear recovery points and a winch are important, as well as a full-size spare tire which may require a tire carrier rear-bumper or a roof mount.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Since you have not acquired the vehicle yet, I'll wait to ramble on about various items. But I will give this piece of advice on finding/purchasing.

Don't be afraid to pay a little more up front, if you believe it will get you a better condition vehicle, that has received more care in the past, has lower mileage, body is in better shape, has less/no rust, etc. It is worth the premium.

Because money saved up front by taking on a vehicle with these negatives will most likely just get spent later, and in larger amounts in order to address those negatives. So you aren't really saving any money, and of course you'll spend future time working on problems that must be addressed instead of the more "fun" jobs that turn your vehicle into what you desire.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Since you have not acquired the vehicle yet, I'll wait to ramble on about various items. But I will give this piece of advice on finding/purchasing.

Don't be afraid to pay a little more up front, if you believe it will get you a better condition vehicle, that has received more care in the past, has lower mileage, body is in better shape, has less/no rust, etc. It is worth the premium.

Because money saved up front by taking on a vehicle with these negatives will most likely just get spent later, and in larger amounts in order to address those negatives. So you aren't really saving any money, and of course you'll spend future time working on problems that must be addressed instead of the more "fun" jobs that turn your vehicle into what you desire.
So many good advices from everyon and this buy-advice was good. Thanks, Ill listen to that.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Originally Posted by Disgruntled
Thank you all for the information given. I acquired Haynes manual yesterday
Sorry to hear that. Haynes and Chilton are junk. Often wrong, often missing critical information that you thought you were getting when you laid down your money.

You really need a proper factory service manual.

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
Yeah, flush all fluids first thing (including a full brake system bleed till the fluid comes out clear).

Look up "Amway SA8 cooling system flush" for the best cooling system flush method.
See my sig on that, and on transmission flush.