Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

new member, oil leaking from engine into air filter?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Location: thompson,okanogan,shushwap area in central British columbian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91 laredo
Model: Cherokee
Engine: HO 4l
Exclamation new member, oil leaking from engine into air filter?!?!

got a 91 xj in june and had all fluids changed, right away this was noticed at canadian tire when they serviced the fluids there was oil in the air filter, i drove it for 2mounths observing the oil on a new filter and not significantly but every time it was driven there was more, it goes through the filter and goes out the holes in the bottom of the air box so there is only 1 corner thats oily and the rest of filter still looks new... i didnt have smoke out the exhaust and i dont think there was any shortage in power??? after the 2 mounths i had to leave the country and get back in dec so its been parkd since the end of july? does any one have or have had this probleme or know possible solutions?
Old 09-15-2012, 08:28 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO

excessive blow by through the pcv system. Sorry that's about the extent of my knowledge.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:29 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Your CCV (crank case vent) system may be clogged or one of the vacuum lines may be leaking. I had the same problem with my 90 XJ when I first bought it. The vacuum lines themselves were ok but, the rubber elbows and connectors were dry rotted, cracked and leaking. I got both sides of the vacuum harness and the CCV tube off ebay for under $80.00. They're very simple to install and I haven't had a problem since.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-46004...orcev4exp=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-Help-...dda501&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-PCV-V...5d7d7c&vxp=mtr
Old 09-15-2012, 11:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

The Peep's run a lot of miles, hence excessive crankcase evacuation required from blow by. Most problematic in cold weather with condensate. I run a water strainer in the vent line to catch condensate, empty if 2X week thru winter, 1X month in summer. Not much of a problem in summer but in winter I change the filter monthly, else the accumulation could be described as "excessive". The water strainer can be had at TSC stores for $15. As previous in this thread insure the balance of your PCV EGR systems are unclogged and flexibles seem in good order.
Attached Thumbnails new member, oil leaking from engine into air filter?!?!-img_1570.jpg   new member, oil leaking from engine into air filter?!?!-img_1571.jpg   new member, oil leaking from engine into air filter?!?!-img_2464.jpg  
Old 09-16-2012, 02:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Location: thompson,okanogan,shushwap area in central British columbian
Year: 91 laredo
Engine: HO 4l

ok i can check this out when i get back, . friend of mine who brags about engine rebuilds hes helped with all the time and more mechanicaly inclined than me (my knowledge stops at engines and electrics yes im new at this) laughed at me when i asked and told me i had internal engine leak and needed either new engine or entire rebuild, thx this fills me with more confidence.....

i just started posting on forums andthe othr 1 i use is the 1 on fourwheeler mags website... i think im gonna swap all my q's there to here(i have more than a few) because i have more veiws(inthe hundreds) there on 4 different threads and and not a single reply ... i think imgonna have much better luck here so be ready for much more q's
Old 09-16-2012, 05:42 AM

Feel free to ask away, there are plenty of knowledgable members on this forum. I've learned alot about my XJ in the short time I've been a member.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:55 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by peep
The Peep's run a lot of miles, hence excessive crankcase evacuation required from blow by. Most problematic in cold weather with condensate. I run a water strainer in the vent line to catch condensate, empty if 2X week thru winter, 1X month in summer. Not much of a problem in summer but in winter I change the filter monthly, else the accumulation could be described as "excessive". The water strainer can be had at TSC stores for $15. As previous in this thread insure the balance of your PCV EGR systems are unclogged and flexibles seem in good order.
Were you aware of this?

Cruiser’s Valve Cover Mod
Most early and even later Renix 4.0s could be bothered by excessive oil in the air cleaner box. A fix from my old days as Service Manager at a Jeep dealership follows. Information was provided to me from a buddy at JeepTech during those days. I don’t believe it ever came out in a Technical Service Bulletin.

Remove the valve cover and turn it over. Next, remove the fluted tubes that are now facing you by removing three screws on each. Chop 1 inch off each of them. Then, about a half inch up from the area where you just sawed them off, drill a half inch hole in the tubes so the holes will face the rear of the valve cover. Clean and de-burr/sand all rough edges nicely, clean with solvent, and reinstall. Don’t be concerned about the chintzy gaskets that will probably crumble into oblivion when you remove the fluted tubes. They can go back together without gaskets.