Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New to jeep. Preventative maintenance questions.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New to jeep. Preventative maintenance questions.

Hey, just picked up my first jeep, a 96 xj 2wd, 190k miles, auto, 6cyl. I'm trying get it in shape for a cross country move. The previous owner had a mechanic in the family and claims it was well maintained, and so far it seems like it has and runs clean and strong. I started with the basics; plugs, wires, oil change, air filter. I plan on tackling the rear suspension next. But having no real maintence history I'm wondering what else tends to need replacing around this mileage? Water pump? Thermostat? Any preventative maintenance advice would be appreciated.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Do the whole cooling system as cheap insurance. Radiator, water pump, t-stat, fan clutch, and all of the hoses. Think about replacing the crank and cam sensors with factory Mopar parts. Check the fuel pressure and replace the filter. Replace the CCV elbow and grommets. Look for oil leaks at the oil filter adaptor. Inspect the rubber around the harmonic balancer for cracks or signs of shifting. Inspect the steering linkage and control arm bushings for play and wear. Change the rear diff fluid and look at the brakes. All of that should be a good start.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 246 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Welcome to the forum.

Cooling system maintenance/refreshing is one of the best preventative maintenance things you can ever do.
Complete your tune up with a new rotor and cap and coil and call that done.
Refresh all fluids including the auto trans fluid (this can be done over time with several drain and refill procedures)
The sensors Busted mentioned, are good the have at hand. Especially the CPS will likely start to fail at some point, and with no service history, go safe.

The list of things that can be done is long and many a member here will be able to add and add, just one other thing that comes to mind, as preventative maintenance is, cleaning the grounds in the engine bay and your battery terminals. Helps with future electrical issues which the XJ will also have, at some point.

A good start as new owner is assuming work has not been done. Although it might look good, PO's are sometimes POS's and tell you everything.
If it's not been neglected too bad, your 4.0 has many more miles for you on the cards

Good luck, and ask anything you need to know.

Last edited by Roler; 08-18-2014 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:05 AM

Year: 1984
Engine: 4 cyl

another vote for cooling system. Then brake system (fluid flush & pads), basic tune up, trans service, axle service, and then start replacing bushings / tie rods / etc. Keep a small notebook in the glovebox, and write down the item / date each was changed.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the replies, and warm welcome to the forum. Looks like I've got some work ahead of me!
Old 08-18-2014, 04:09 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

Keep a written record of all service done on the vehicle. See if the previous owner had any. I would start with changing all the fluids so at least you know where you stand there.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001, 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I like the cooling system and crank position sensor too. These are the most likely to ruin your trip. The thermostat and crank sensor in particular.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:05 PM

Default Fluid recommendations

Does anyone have specific fluid recommendations? Automatic transmission, rear diff, any difference in coolants? I'm use to vw's where if you don't use the right coolant you're screwed down the road.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:37 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by AndrewK
Does anyone have specific fluid recommendations? Automatic transmission, rear diff, any difference in coolants? I'm use to vw's where if you don't use the right coolant you're screwed down the road.

Use the green stuff for the coolant and I use Advanced auto house brand Dex/Merc for the trans.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 246 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

ATF: Dex/Merc III or DEX III as alternative are the recommended fluids
Engine oil: 10W-30 from factory (but you will find many many opinions on what else can, could or should be used)

Coolant: green ethyl.glycol in 50/50 mix for the open system

Diff: diff gear oil , I have something like 75W-90.
My rear has the limited slip diff, so have some additive in there. Not sure how that works in the 2WD you have, if they came with that as well (but others who know might chime in here)

Power steering: Mopar power steering fluid is recommended, don't know the specific criteria it needs to meet for alternatives.

Brake fluid: DOT 3

Windshield washer: whatever you like to clean your windows with

I think that about sums up the fluids.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:03 AM

Thanks, Wow I'm not use to a forum with helpful members!
Old 08-26-2014, 12:31 PM

Default Transmission fluid fill?

Another newb question: I see where to drain the transmission fluid, and the dipstick for checking fluid levels. But where do I fill the transmission fluid? How much fluid to fill? Can't seem to find my answer via a search.

Last edited by AndrewK; 08-26-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:39 PM

Another newb question: I see where to drain the transmission fluid, and the dipstick for checking fluid levels. But where do I fill the transmission fluid? How much fluid to fill? Can't seem to find my answer via a search.
In the dip stick tube where you check the fluid,put a funnel in the dip stick tube and start pouring.Start with 3 quarts then check it,should take about 4 but check after 3 and make sure the transmission is up to running temp before you check it or it will read wrong.

Last edited by SomeGuy138; 08-26-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:48 PM

Also its kinda tricky to get a good read on the dip stick,or at lease it is on mine and make sure you shift in threw the gears after its warm to get a good read.Read this,I found it in a search.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/how...filter-196831/

Last edited by SomeGuy138; 08-26-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:55 AM

Year: 1984
Engine: 4 cyl

and wrap a few rags around the dipstick tube where you insert the funnel, and wrap them tight. This way if there is any that overflows, the rag will catch it instead of leaking down onto the drivetrain or ground.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to jeep. Preventative maintenance questions.